Review CATWEAZLE: CURSE OF RAPKYN - Episode 03

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
@michaellevenson wrote: The idea is to give IMDF its own identity and more user friendly.
So anyone, not just members but guests too can go straight to a show Doc has covered and post about a particular episode. So you see it's not a slight against you or The Sages but providing a service for this forum. Hope that clears that up.
Oh, it does. And I hope to clear up a few things with you. First, I never thought these old threads were a slight against me or the Sages, since they were preexisting. It's OK to have preexisting content in the forums we visit; this has already happen many time. But unfortunately this new system which apparently has been implanted without any consultation or vote and represent a huge departure from the way the Sages were working, which, again, caught me by surprise because nobody voted for this; the system simply was implemented by higher powers. This, in turn, will make it very hard for this iteration of the Sages to work as a group if some people can be in the beginning of season one, while others making comments on episode 15 and others, how the show ended.

The original idea was to simulate a group of friends who would meet for an evening watching a show everybody liked and have a good time, something very different from what is happening. We would move from one episode to another together, and discover things together. And in the process, interacting about our first impressions, as a team. And those who had seen the show would mentor the beginners.

If there seems to be a preference for the preexisting threads and in no particular order, then these "This Friday on Catweazle" threads have become redundant and should perhaps be discontinued and we should all go look for the places where relevant exchanges are happening.

Anyway, I tried to reply to your statement in the original thread, but apparently I don't have enough privileges to reply there, so now besides having different threads that scatter the group all over the place, these some people are privileged enough to use them, while others have to be content with the ones they are allowed to use. This is getting weirdly dystopian by the minute.

As our views on CW are diametrically opposed, and as you said yourself some time ago, it won't be some time until we're comfortable in each others presence, even on line, best if we avoid direct confrontation. But both Doc and myself hope the Sages CW project succeeds and we'll be dipping into it from time to time.
Personally I have nothing but respect for you, since our differences are limited to things concerning a very silly TV show not worth losing sleep over. It's some of the thins you did I have reservations about. Confrontation is part of exchanging ideas with people we don't agree with and that possibility is always present when we interact with strangers. It's impossible for us to live in a bubble in our comfort zone and only deal with people who have the exact opinion we do.

What are your plans? Have fan talks in threads where unprivileged people you want to avoid can be blocked and occasionally drop by the official Sages threads? It would be interesting to know because I'm really starting to think repeated threads are a waste and if Doctor Omega's threads are not going, these here have no more reason to exist, in my opinion.

Mad-Pac

I will post these links on each Friday posting, so as to currently avoid merging, which will only push Mad-Pac's post down and lose the focus of the Friday thing, but also allows others to proceed at their own pace, using the existent threads, should they wish to.
Well, I thought about that and I'm beginning to realize my threads are not required if there are others in existence and being used by the same people already. So, don't worry about merging, because soon there won't be what to merge and working only with your thread will simplify things considerably. The purpose of my initial post was to introduce the show, but in the present context that makes no sense.

I just wish this new system had been presented to the group by someone, then discussed when we would argue pros and cons and then voted to see how we would want the Sages to get in touch with the show. And least back in the day when the sages were in a happier place, major changes like this were discussed and voted in order to avoid authoritarian decisions and unilateral changes.

Mad-Pac

But I can't merge the threads without pushing your above opening post down; something that you were unhappy with and which I have tried to avoid with said compromise.
Yeah, I was unhappy, but I thought better and now I am not as invested. So I think just your thread will do and there's no need for another. You did a nice work with great dedication so it's done.

Mad-Pac

I hope that you stay and continue to do your Friday posts and in depth reviews and join in with some of that banter and off-topic wanderings! I can continue to post that compromise link and we can be just random people having friendly chat about shows!
Again I never suggested I would stop posting my Friday reviews. But since this is no longer the thing we were doing I can loosen up and make use of the flexibility you implemented. Surely I'll keep on participating, reviewing, bantering and annoying you to no end. And besides I have the Welcome to Paradox board to preserve the original format of the Sages, so I'll satisfy my regimental urges over there. See you in the boards.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Oh, it does. And I hope to clear up a few things with you. First, I never thought these old threads were a slight against me or the Sages, since they were preexisting. It's OK to have preexisting content in the forums we visit; this has already happen many time. But unfortunately this new system which apparently has been implanted without any consultation or vote and represent a huge departure from the way the Sages were working, which, again, caught me by surprise because nobody voted for this; the system simply was implemented by higher powers. This, in turn, will make it very hard for this iteration of the Sages to work as a group if some people can be in the beginning of season one, while others making comments on episode 15 and others, how the show ended.

The original idea was to simulate a group of friends who would meet for an evening watching a show everybody liked and have a good time, something very different from what is happening. We would move from one episode to another together, and discover things together. And in the process, interacting about our first impressions, as a team. And those who had seen the show would mentor the beginners.

If there seems to be a preference for the preexisting threads and in no particular order, then these "This Friday on Catweazle" threads have become redundant and should perhaps be discontinued and we should all go look for the places where relevant exchanges are happening.

Anyway, I tried to reply to your statement in the original thread, but apparently I don't have enough privileges to reply there, so now besides having different threads that scatter the group all over the place, these some people are privileged enough to use them, while others have to be content with the ones they are allowed to use. This is getting weirdly dystopian by the minute.

Personally I have nothing but respect for you, since our differences are limited to things concerning a very silly TV show not worth losing sleep over. It's some of the thins you did I have reservations about. Confrontation is part of exchanging ideas with people we don't agree with and that possibility is always present when we interact with strangers. It's impossible for us to live in a bubble in our comfort zone and only deal with people who have the exact opinion we do.

What are your plans? Have fan talks in threads where unprivileged people you want to avoid can be blocked and occasionally drop by the official Sages threads? It would be interesting to know because I'm really starting to think repeated threads are a waste and if Doctor Omega's threads are not going, these here have no more reason to exist, in my opinion.
The Catweazle ep 26 thread is locked so no one can use them including me
. It was locked after I posted on there. These Doc threads will be here long after The Sages have departed and the idea is they're for Catweazle chat, so yes I think your threads should continue, I posted on ep3 today replying to Brimfin. People are finding their way to each Blakes7 episode just using Doc's threads, so it'll probably happen here if need be. Actually if you don't do any CW threads, just to reiterate I HOPE YOU DO, but if not, and Catweazle is a terrible experience for you, like the B7 project you can take a break, come back later to it,or not at all. , and concentrate on WTP.
As Doc says, we're free agents.

Mad-Pac

I temporarily and instinctively locked it, as it seemed there was a danger of brush fires starting in various threads without any resolution, but added a diversionary link to where the discussion could stay focused and where any disagreements could hopefully resolve themselves.
OK, I'm sorry for having jumped to conclusions. The thing is that IMDF lists members in classes or casts, so I assumed some had privileges others didn't. All members being equal, but some being more equal than others. I'm glad that's not the case.

Mad-Pac

Excellent point about JEANNIE, I like that show, and we do readily accept its premise about genies being real for the sake of enjoying the show. However we don't think that it's set in an alternative universe, but our one, which contains something magical.
Yeah, except that Brimfin also mentions SUPERNATURAL, and this show literally takes place in an alternate reality, Sam and Dean having actually traveled to our universe where magic doesn't exist just for them to find out they are rich stars on a TV show. The thing is that in modern narrative people have become aware of these differences in reality and shows have become much more meta. Perhaps in the 1970s an alternate theory would seem out of place for Catweazle, but in a modern interpretation it fits as a glove.

Add to that the fact that we have a character that literally states everything is magic and describes the things he encounters as such. If we are to believe some things are magic, and if we are to believe Catweazle's expertise as far as curses and the occult are concerned, why then when he sees magic in everyday things would he become a superstitious moron? That doesn't make sense. (Even though he *IS* mentally imbalanced, clearly bipolar. Catweazle needs to get a Rivotril prescription perhaps.)

Mad-Pac

I mean it’s one thing to have a premise that virtually all monsters of legend and myth are real. But they even trampled on Scripture one season, with a season-long arc about “God’s sister” who was some being of darkness. If God is the creator of the universe, how could he have a dark sister? If they’d led off with such a concept, I probably never would have watched it. But after it had been part of my viewing habits for over ten years, I was willing to look the other way on this plotline and a few others. Anyway, so for all intents and purposes, in the CATWEAZLE universe magic is real and so are curses.
I agree God's "Darkness" sister season was stupid for the reasons you mentioned. But I did love the fact they used a lot of Biblical elements and incorporated them into pop culture. I mean, if they use Norse culture and Greek mythology all the time (making these myths so much cooler and appealing to kids, far more interesting than anything we have), why not use OUR Christian culture for a change? It was never meant to be a serious reinterpretation of the Bible anyway. I liked, for instance the more Old-Testament take on angels, who would not be entities of pure love, but powerful beings created to fight for God and Heaven, somewhat amoral, and barely in touch with humanity.

Of course, if you're a devout Christian, it might be harder to accept that the authors don't seem to take Christianity seriously and treat it like magic and fantasy. But notice that we had The Devil, Michael, Gabriel, Metatron, even God himself, but there was never even the mention of Jesus. Jesus was off limits for the CW.

By the way I found it was really cool when Lucifer slaughtered Odin, Zeus and all of the old gods combined, delivering the idea that God, and by association, The Devil are infinitely more powerful than all these other pagan gods put together.

Hey, by the way, what do you think of Lucifer with Tom Ellis? Great show, isn't it? :emoji_imp: (And now, after this totally trolling question, I wish I were there to see your eyes rolling back in your head :emoji_rolling_eyes: until they got stuck there...) :emoji_rage:

Hey, I think they could do Hindu mythology next. I'd love to see Ganesh with his elephant head, Vishnu and her multiple arms and blue-skinned Krishna. Now, THAT'S a trippy religion.

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Right gonna have to be a brief one this week as I'm falling behind again.
Not a bad episode. I did wonder how much the show would embrace magic and the fantastical.
Often shows have one magical or unbelievable element and then the rest of the show is fairly grounded.
A show similar in basic concept to this is Outlander. In that a nurse is transported back to Scotland around the time of the highland uprising. Magic in other forms is hinted at, people seeing the future etc but there is always an alternative explanation. I'm not sure why but I prefer this approach.
In contrast there is a show called the White Queen. This is set during the War of the Roses and the main character and her family are witches. There are several events that could be coincidence but there are also a couple which seem more direct. This creates a problem when rumours start about them being witches. In reality these were baseless accusations as they were women with power, however in the show they are witches so all the "burn them burn them" crowd are technically in the right, which doesn't sit well with me.
Anyway that rant over (told you I would be quick) back to Catweazle.
The curse on the farm is a nice idea, it does seem odd that it is just an offhand remark from Mr Bennet and Carrot runs with it, turning out to be right.
The search for the stones was well done. I kind of hope they get to go on more quests a bit further afield. The riddles were of the standard of The Dark Tower "Look and Learn" series but it is lucky the "tower" was the chimney not some old grain tower long since collapsed.
Also I hope that stone was load bearing or that chimney stack might be coming down next week.

As soon as I saw the well near the end I guessed that Catweazle would end up plummeting down it with Carrott letting go of the rope. The fact that this happened twice was the only surprise! :emoji_alien:
Yeah it was signposted and Carrot looked like a bit of a dick doing it twice, I don't buy it was accidental for a second.

Mr. Bennett mentioned that part of his problem was that he was overdrawn at the bank to the tune of 800 pounds. That’s no small sum even today, and would have been worth many times that amount back in 1970. That’s not a curse; that’s poor money management. Don’t spend more than you make, or borrow more than you know you can pay back.
Yeah I thought when he was having bank trouble it would be a few quid but I did the conversion and in today's money that is £11,640.
That suggest Mr Bennett's been racking up debt for years (which would fit with the curse). Looking back it was clear the artifact would be worth £800 to the museum so it all works out nicely and the events of this week do not affect next.

So I found myself really enjoying this episode, it is nice to see Cleggy looking bewildered as usual.

Best episode so far 8 more stones which, when removed, will cause the farm's wall to "magically" disappear, out of 10