Review CATWEAZLE: "THE SUN IN A BOTTLE" - Episode 01

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg catweazle01.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Catweazle, an 11th century magician, is conjuring in his cave when his enemies suddenly burst in. He flees, casting a spell to make himself fly. However, something goes wrong because the spell transports him to the 20th century instead.

Full Cast List....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0537656/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

On to the next episode....

CASTLE SABURAC

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/this-friday-on-catweazle-s01e02-castle-saburac-duck-halt.4744/

Jump to the final episode....

THE THIRTEENTH SIGN

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-thirteenth-sign-episode-26.4647/

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Unknown Feb 15, 1970 on ITV

Catweazle is an 11th century magician who, when trying to flee his enemies, casts a spell to make himself fly. However, something goes wrong because the spell transports him to the 20th century instead.

CAST

Geoffrey Bayldon ... Catweazle
Robin Davies ... Carrot
Charles 'Bud' Tingwell ... Mr. Bennet
Neil McCarthy ... Sam Woodyard
Derek Baker ... Norman Soldier (uncredited)
Steve Emerson ... Norman Soldier (uncredited)
Dave Griffiths ... Norman Officer (uncredited)
Frank Henson ... Norman Soldier (uncredited)
Terence Mountain ... Norman Soldier (uncredited)
Chris Webb ... Norman Officer (uncredited)
Ron Stein ... Gorilla Guard (uncredited)

WRITEN BY

John Carpenter

DIRECTED BY

Quentin Tarantino

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad-Pac

We’ll have plenty of opportunities to talk about the story itself, so, I’ll start doing that on my second review. Tonight I’ll focus on the choice of this show and why I find that extremely bewildering. Once I get that out of my system, I promise I’ll get down to the plot and character elements next week. So bear with me until then.

S01E01 – “The Sun in a Bottle”​

I’M BEWILDERED​

OK, not as annoying as I’d expected. Not that that says much because I really didn’t expect much, but we might just as well start with the positive side.

First of all, it’s short. Just 24 minutes. With Star Cops I’d start checking my watch every few minutes after the first half hour. In that particular, Catweazle is an improvement. And while we’re at it, the comparison is apt in many ways. Here we have a children’s show which will never amount to much because of precisely that, it’s a children’s show, but we see that in practically all technically aspects it’s vastly superior to Star Cops. Perhaps now the point I’ve been trying to make finally gets through. After all, if you like this show’s pacing, directing, editing and everything else that defines a dramatic narrative and television, you simply cannot say this is what you’d expect from a good television production and at the same time find that amateur experiment which was Star Cops anything to be taken seriously. And say what you will about this silly show, it’s technically accurate and meets all the requirements modern audiences would expect a professionally show to meet. Star Cops, on the other hand…

So, Catweazle is short, competently made as far as technical aspects are concerned, the actor is formidable (his madman look of a man out of his time in a world he can’t possibly understand is priceless) and the premise is interesting. The problem? I’d the problem is us, the audience.

The thing is, this is a children’s show. There’s no mistaking. It’s a show that was aired in the 1970s at 5 o’clock. In the afternoon. In broad daylight. On a Sunday. Right before I suppose English children would have dinner at 6 and be in bed by eight. Different people, different times. So, this show was made for children. And as a kiddies show the stakes will never, ever be high. Writers simply wouldn’t be able to risk upsetting children in the way necessary for creating a credible and moving story. And to add insult to injury, this was made for children of the 1970s. That is to say, children that are no longer children. In other words, Catweazle was made for an audience that no longer exists.

That brings me the question, why on earth would anybody want to watch this show now. This is the right show, right? I mean, if it was a practical joke on me, you can finally tell me, because, guys I really fell for it. For a minute I really thought that was the show everyone was raving about. OK, I’m going to assume this is the right show just for the sake of argument.

Would any current-day child enjoy this show? I can’t imagine any would. This show seems to be naive and out of touch with our reality. And an adult watching this for the first time? Would a situation like this be believable? Say, a man at work telling his pals in the office, “oh man, I can hardly wait to have a few drinks after work with my friends and then run home to catch up on some old Catweazle episodes.” I can’t think of that happening.

The only answer that makes a little sense to me is that magical word, which is not “electrickery,” but, something much more powerful. A magical word capable of transforming lead into gold, and much more. The magical word is nostalgia!

I checked the imdb reviews of the show and they’re 100% “I grew up watching this show,” or “I used to watch this show as a kid” or “when I was a boy I loved this show,” etc. I’m yet to find a review of someone saying “I learned of this show last weak and now I simply love it.” Pure nostalgia.

I understand the power of nostalgia, even though I don’t always connect with it on an emotional level, at least as far as television is concerned. I used to love certain shows made in the 1960s -- or at least I used to watch them regularly because, you know, lack of options… After all, we had only three or four channels, so whatever programming for children they aired, that’s what we would watch. It was that or, I don’t know, read a book or something.

Anyway, there were shows I did enjoy back in the day, but now if I watch them I’m perfectly capable of admitting they were going good in a very specific context, but they absolutely fail the test of time. So, if now I happened to turn on the TV and they happened to be showing Lost in Space, or Banana Split, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo or Flipper, I’d have no problems to admit these were pretty crappy shows. So, I understand nostalgia, but I wouldn’t want to consume the same shows again in the name of it.

This is why I’m bewildered.

Coming up next: taking the show apart. Why the premise of Catweazle has a fatal flaw that changes everything! But you’ll have to wait for next week.

My grade: I’m not a kid, and nothing in this show remotely connects with my sense of nostalgia. But I imagine that hypothetical kid watching his black and white vacuum tube television in a small English town in 1970 would’ve given this pilot a 9 or a 10, while, from my from my grownup 2018 perspective, I want to give it a 1 or a 2. So, let’s be fair and give it the average: 5 ponds that become puddles in 900 years (that part w

Doctor Omega

Just watched the episode and the word that springs most to mind is charming.

This appears to be a really charming show and I think the storytelling is timeless.

Yes, it may be slower than the attention deficit children of today are programmed to cope with, but I would suggest that society is at fault there, rather than the shows of yesteryear. I think that the world needs to slow down and get back to engaging with these shows. Otherwise it is, I think, their loss.

Similarly, I think one needs to still be able to compromise and partially switch off that cynical adult and view this through the eyes of a child to really appreciate it. Otherwise there is no point in viewing it at all.

All that is left, if one does not do that, is a point by point deconstruction of each episode, listing all of it's shortcomings, which would not only be, presumably, tedious to write, but surely equally tedious to read.

As to the episode itself, Bayldon is brilliant and works well with Robin Davies.

I see Neil McCarthy is in the show. I lived in Sleaford, a town near Lincoln and, when he died, it was mentioned in the local paper that he had, years before, lived in Sleaford and attended the grammar school just up the road from my humble secondary modern.

I knew him best as Calibos in CLASH OF THE TITANS, of course. And his great role in one of the STEPTOE movies, at Albert's "funeral".

The episode sets out the stall for the show - with very much a similar feel, to me, of the later WORZEL GUMMIDGE, with an impossible character befriending the family children and having misadventures every week.

I feel that, as with many shows, a remake would fail to replicate the charm (and all-important pace and ambience) of the original, along with pointless political box ticking topped off with what I see as a general slump in the acting standards of the UK. Bland and flat-voiced acting seems to be the high water mark these days. :emoji_head_bandage:

I have never watched this show in any focused way - although I think I saw this opening episode years ago, so it should be fun, with a bunch of comrades, journeying through this classic. :emoji_alien:

I like Michael's grading system, so will use that, but feel that through no fault of it's own that the episode is slightly restricted by having to set out the stall, which it does well, but it leaves little time for anything else. But it gets a solid mark from me nonetheless.

Grade B+

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I agree with Doctor Omega, you have to view it in the same spirit of fun that it was made, without dissecting the minutiae of the show. It could be a lot of fun doing this. You can get something out of this show if you relax the adult side of your perspective a bit, but it's a sort of self fulfilling prophecy that if you think you can get nothing out of it, then probably you won't.

Last edited:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Ok some interesting posts so far.
I had never heard of Catweazle until it started appearing as a nomination so I don't have any nostalgic link to this show.
Most of the shows I remember most fondly from my childhood are cartoons like He-Man, Thundercats and I tried watching He-Man a few years ago and time has not been kind.
As for the live action stuff, only really Knightmare stands out, but that was a very different format of show and I have enjoyed rewatching episodes of that. I did eventually discover Dark Season which stuck with me as a child but I have yet to watch it all.
As I was exploring sci-fi and fantasy of the 70's and 80's I did come across a few shows aimed at children that have impressed me. Children of the Stones and Timeslip are both excellent with great concepts and ideas, the fact the main protagonists are children didn't change that.
I guess the fear with a children's show is it may be too simple or dumbed down. Often that gets levelled at Doctor Who to dismiss it as just a kids show or even sometimes to excuse it.
I can understand Mad-Pac's concerns that Catweazle may fall into this area of children's show, with little appeal to a more mature audience.
I can understand both Doctor Omega and Michaellevenson, you both seem to have fond memories of this show.
But I intend to watch this show with no pretence. If it is a good show then it will stand up I think.

So on to episode 1 "The Sun in the Bottle"
The opening scenes in Norman times are nicely shot. I like Catweazles cave and I especially like the scene where he is cornered with Normans appearing in different directions in the forest. I did get concerned when Catweazle was running, he was showing a lot of leg, I hope he is wearing undergarments too or this could go out of the kids section very quickly.
I liked the fact the Normans didn't seem to be speaking English, it help define them quickly as foreign invaders.

A quick spell later and Catweazle is in modern times.
His amazement and fear of modern devices is very well played. The scene with the lightbulb and his casting his spells to turn it on was amusing and I like how Carrot slowly went from amusement to eventually sick of it. The last scene with Catweazle attempting the same thing with objects that look like the lightswitch and bulb, nicely demonstrate his thinking. The concepts of wiring and electricity are completely alien to him so he just mimics what he has seen. You get the feeling he will begin to learn the secrets of this new magic.
Plus he gets points for using the correct term "Electrickery"

Carrot seems like a nice lad. He now joins that pantheon of kids from the 70's and 80's with some magic friend living nearby who he can't tell his parents about. I remember vividly "Five Children and It" which had a similar idea. I can imagine he is going to be sent to his room a lot over the course of this series.

I was a bit confused by who Sam Woodyard actually was. He at one point calls Carrot's dad boss. So he has come round to his bosses house to watch what sounds like motor racing. When the TV stops working he marches round the house looking for the bosses son to fix it. He will even break open doors to get this done. I'm not inviting him to my house any time soon.
I did like seeing Barnham from "The Mind of Evil" again though.

So off to a good start, the episode moved along and a good pace and kept me entertained. Catweazle seems to be an interesting main character. Let see where we go from here.

7 frogs lost in the time vortex, or a lake, out of 10.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Sam Woodyard is an employee of George Bennett at Hexwood Farm , he lives with his aged mother in a nearby cottage, and when we see her you can understand Sam wanting to spend as much time as possible at Hexwood!
And as Catweazle will remind anyone who gets it wrong, his pet Touchwood is a toad.

Mad-Pac

Marking this series is hard to do, but I think we should mark it as fairly as possible, and as we would have done as a child.
Yes, this is why I made an average between this hypothetical child and the marks I wanted to give. The result, I believe, was essentially fair, especially as a counterpoint to those whose perception is tainted by nostalgia rose colored glasses. that makes my work even more necessary.

First thing to say is that of course this is a show that works as a trip to Nostalgia -Land.
The problem with that is that for those who grew up watching the show, this is right in their comfort zone. Otherwise, this will be a long and rather unpleasant 26-week period, which might be replaced by yet another nostalgia trip of times never lived.

but it's not a deep show, to be taken apart plotwise.
Much to the contrary, I already have a lot of meaty stuff which I just wanna dive in but I didn't refer to now because it was going to get way too long. You'll have to wait for next week like everyone else.

Geoffrey Bayldon is incredible and his performance as the series develops is going to pull at your heartstrings
That sounds like it'll get even more naive and corny. Oh, boy.

I think we should mark it as fairly as possible, and as we would have done as a child.
However, I never saw this kind of show as a child. We didn't use to import English shows back in the 1960s and early 70s, so I have no frame of reference how I, as I child, would have reacted to something so specific for that time period and British culture. I simply have no tools to do it otherwise. How can I refer to an experience that simply never happened to me? And it's been a very long time for me. So, I'm afraid all I can honestly guarantee I can do is see it as a 2018 adult and react accordingly.

You could argue that CW shouldn't understand as much modern English as he does
No, no. Both characters should be totally incomprehensible to each other. Maybe if Catweazle had been from 1666 or 1766, then things would be different. But that's part of the poetic license British TV and movie writers use. You should check the show Vikings and you'll be astonished at how people in Scandinavia, Wessex, Northumbria and France sounded.

Cloister56

Sam Woodyard is an employee of George Bennett at Hexwood Farm , he lives with his aged mother in a nearby cottage, and when we see her you can understand Sam wanting to spend as much time as possible at Hexwood!
And as Catweazle will remind anyone who gets it wrong, his pet Touchwood is a toad.
It was 50/50 I almost typed Toad, ah well. :emoji_grin:

Doctor Omega

I saw this opening episode years ago,

Yes, I believe that this is actually the only episode I have seen previously and was trying to think where I had seen it.

It turns out it was on this collection of sample episodes from different shows of the genre, which is a nice set to own and one of three or four similar titles of random opening episodes of shows......

s-l500 (1).jpg

At least I think that was the episode that was on this set. I will have to double check it. It most likely is this opener though.

But this means that the remaining 25 episodes of the series (whichever they are) are a mystery to me, because I never saw CATWEAZLE back in the day. WORZEL GUMMIDGE, yes, which this reminds me of somewhat, format wise, even down to Bayldon being in it, so I guess I am certainly well acquainted with this style of show.

But I like what I have seen so far.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

The above sets were also my first introduction to ACE OF WANDS and TIMESLIP.

And it was nice to see Sylvester McCoy turn up in the background in an episode of ROBERT'S ROBOTS.

Mad-Pac

It was 50/50 I almost typed Toad, ah well. :emoji_grin:
Well, what is it? Is it a toad or is it not? What which pair os more different? A toad and a frog, a monkey and an ape, a horse and a zebra, a lemon and a lime, a puma and a cougar, a rabbit and a hare, a jaguar and a leopard, a dolphin and a porpoise, a turtle and a tortoise, or a crocodile and an alligator? (Feel free to answer that in a 1 to 10 scale of "differenceness.") I'll never be able to sleep again until I get these questions answered.

Now, seriously, what's the deal with the toad?

Brimfin

Good gravy! What was the big hurry? We used to have a two week break in between shows, now we just finished voting and bang - first episode posted already. I wasn't expecting such a rush, so I haven't even had time to watch it yet. I'll try to watch as soon as possible.

Mad-Pac

Good gravy! What was the big hurry? We used to have a two week break in between shows, now we just finished voting and bang - first episode posted already. I wasn't expecting such a rush, so I haven't even had time to watch it yet. I'll try to watch as soon as possible.
What was the big hurry? I'll tell you what the big hurry is, at least from my perspective. I was in the same frame of mind as you, and I was waiting for your "Star Cops by the numbers" report and, only after we had covered that, then we would start worrying about even nominating the next possible choices. Meanwhile, much to my surprise, while you and I were musing, ant-mac quickly posted an entry asking for nominations and reposting the nomination rules I had written for the show eventually picked by "Blake's Sages," even though those rules no longer applied to single season shows.

I felt the timing was too early, and the divergent rules were going to create yet another controversy we did not need, so I felt things were about to get out of control again, just as it happened when I took a little longer to post on the Star Cops board and Michael filled in what he perceived as a vacuum. Considering all that and afraid the train could derail, yet again, I felt the best thing to do was to get on the train and make sure it at least ran safely, and if we took our sweet time as we always did, the aforementioned train would speed away immediately anyway, but this time without us.

So... Here's where we find ourselves now.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'm not really sure what I think of this show yet. Like @Mad-Pac I've never seen this show so I'm coming into it without any real frame of reference. I imagine that as a child I would have probably enjoyed this. It's similar in concept to Worzel Gummidge which I did see and enjoy. But I imagine rewatching that now would reveal its limitations as a show. Unlike, say Doctor Who, which was designed to be watched by both children and adults, this is squarely aimed at children only. Despite that its an interesting concept and enjoyable enough, although I expect that seeing Catweazle amazed by modern technology could get repetitive.

The opening was good but those soldiers were absolutely hopeless. They should all be fired.

I'll give this episode 7 out of 10 because it was fairly enjoyable but I'm not yet convinced that the concept is strong enough for an entire series.

Mad-Pac

I'll give this episode 7 out of 10 because it was fairly enjoyable but I'm not yet convinced that the concept is strong enough for an entire series.
Have you seen Sleepy Hollow? Ichabod Crane was really baffled the first times he encountered modern technology, and he even had some hilarious moments, like when he had several respectful conversations with Siri. Yet, that soon got old and before Season 1 ended he was quite adapted to the 21st century, as the focus of the show was the supernatural dangers he and Abby would have to face. Meanwhile there were B stories about practical aspects of Ichabod's life, like opening a checking account, finding a place to life and pay rent, and, ultimately, obtaining his American citizenship. Naturally he couoldn't be baffled and bewildered by modern technology very long, even though Crane, pretty much like Catweazle, was a sort of wizard as well, and dabble in the occult with impressive results.

Brimfin

I’ll spare you the saga of the problems I was having with the Smartcast feature this week, but I managed to get the show watched using YouTube on my TV. It was reminiscent of MY FAVORITE MARTIAN and shows of its kind, and being dated in 1969, fit right into the same timeframe. Back then, on American TV we have what are now labeled “the gimmick shows” with beings like witches, genies, and Martians using their magic powers every week while keeping their identities secret. Don’t know if the same thing happened in other countries at that time, but it was an amusing and innocent time for us.

Anyway, we have all the elements here. Catweazle is a wizard from the 11th century who tries to flee from the Normans by using a spell to make him fly. Instead, he flies forward in time in one quick jump, nicely accomplished by showing him jump into a large body of water in 1066 or so and then emerge in a small pond far away. It isn’t until he hides in a barn and sees a large modern tractor that we realize he’s in the 20th century instead. He’s found by young Edward Bennet, nicknamed Carrot because of his red hair. Ed hides the wizard and offers to bring him food later. His father notices the smell of the old man, but doesn’t catch on that he’s hiding in a barrel. Already the “keeping his identity secret” factor is at play. Ed doesn’t tell his Dad or the family friend Sam about Catweazle, and then he makes a promise on a magic knife that he won’t say anything about him. So later on, when the wizard has made a mess in his house and Dad’s upset about it, Ed finds that now he can’t tell his Dad the truth. Will this continue? Or will his Dad or Sam become the Major Healy that at first didn’t know about Jeannie and then later became the confidant who knew his friend’s secret.

The whole concept doesn’t work unless the wizard has genuine powers, of course. His spell did take him forward in time, even if it wasn’t what he wanted. And the magic knife does genuinely keep Carrot from revealing his secret, so no doubt his magic will come into play in future episodes – spells gone haywire and such. Plus we have the whole “fish out of water” routine as Catweazle gasps in amazement at our modern technology. And thus is the concept set up in the pilot episode.

Low points: I had trouble making out what Catweazle is saying early on because of his thick accent and way of speaking. Then we meet the modern-day Bennets, and I found I couldn’t understand them at first either. (They talked too fast and with accents as well). Fortunately, it got easier to understand all of them as the plot progressed.

When Cat doesn’t like the orange juice, does he have to spit it all over the place and make a mess, or does he have to break the window while climbing out? I’m not a big fan of comic destruction of property, especially when it’s just the house of a plain ordinary citizen (as opposed to some rich person who can just replace any damages easily.)

High points:
Best exchange:
Catweazle: Are you Norman?
Carrot: No. My name’s Edward.

It was also amusing when Cat tries to shush the owl by demanding he “hoot not.” The owl hoots anyway, and CW mutters, “Stone deaf!”

An amusing opening. I’ll give it 6 dusty lanterns and loose latches on the wall, that just won’t work the same way a light bulb and a light switch do.