The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Well if you think about it, they must have some complex waste system in that machine. Maybe they recycle it into food again? How do Daleks eat?

duzit

I want to watch 4 episodes of New Who, from Seasons 8 & 9. I would like the opinions of the faithful DW fans of this forum as to which episodes I would enjoy...:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Classic Who was measured in seasons. New Who is measured in series.

I am unable to help you with New Who, but if you really want to watch 4 episodes from seasons 8 and 9, then I recommend TERROR OF THE AUTONS, which is from season 8, has 4 episodes and is the first DOCTOR WHO serial to feature the Master. For season 9, I recommend THE CURSE OF PELADON, which also has 4 episodes, features the Ice Warriors and also the first appearance of Alpha Centauri.

duzit

Not knowing anything about DW past #10, I knew I would mess up this request.

The streaming service I will be using, uses Seasons as reference of episodes.

Season 8 starts with: #1 "Deep Breath" ends with: #12 "Death in Heaven"

Season 9 starts with: #1 "The Magician's Apprentice" ends with: #12 "Hell Bent"

I hope this give enough detailed info for you Whovians to be able to help me...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Not knowing anything about DW past #10, I knew I would mess up this request.

The streaming service I will be using, uses Seasons as reference of episodes.

Season 8 starts with: #1 "Deep Breath" ends with: #12 "Death in Heaven"

Season 9 starts with: #1 "The Magician's Apprentice" ends with: #12 "Hell Bent"

I hope this give enough detailed info for you Whovians to be able to help me...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Not to worry, duzit. In any case, you are not to blame for any error or mistake - GooglePlay is. They got it wrong - not you.

If it were up to me, they would still be using the term "seasons" to describe a year's worth of DOCTOR WHO serials.

As for your choices from series 8 and 9...

If I were to ever re-watch any episodes from either, I would watch DEEP BREATH, INTO THE DALEK and LISTEN from series 8, as well as THE MAGICIAN'S APPRENTICE / THE WITCH'S FAMILIAR, THE GIRL WHO DIED / THE WOMAN WHO LIVED and SLEEP NO MORE from series 9.

However, as I seem to run counter-intuitively to everyone else I know, you might want to seek out a second opinion.

Gavin

VIP
I'd recommend Deep Breath, Robots of Sherwood, Listen, and Mummy on the Orient Express from series 8 (most importantly, whatever episodes you choose to watch, stay away from Kill the Moon and In the Forest of the Night if you don't want your IQ to be dangerously depleted).

For series 9 almost all of the stories are two-parters. I'd recommend The Magician's Apprentice / The Witch's Familiar and Heaven Sent / Hell Bent (Hell Bent's got a bit of a bad reputation but I enjoyed it and Heaven Sent has possibly the best performance by Peter Capaldi in the show).

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
This is a tough one for me because of my feelings that PC was so completely underserved by virtually every episode and series he was in. For Series 8 I'd say that If you want "true WHO" I'd go with Deep Breath because I believe it's Clara's introduction to "the new incarnation" of The Doctor. Listen because (IMO) it's the best episode in the series. Mummy On the Orient Express because it's quite unique although bittersweet and then either Into the Dalek because it's in a more classic vein in keeping with the rest of the show OR Robots of Sherwood because it's rather charming and a complete departure from what you would normally hope to see.

As for series 9..... I was so disappointed by the first 4-5 episodes I barely paid attention to any of them or the rest for that matter. It was in series 9 I came to the conclusion that they were going to misuse, mishandle and pretty much just throw away anything they could have accomplished with PC's talents and I just gave up in disgust. He had so much potential. He could have had the same kind of run that CE, DT & MS had and they bloody well just tossed it all into a garbage disposal, hit "crush" and took anything it spewed out and called it good..... What a waste, what a damn bloody shame..... what a tragedy of abandonment. Peter Capaldi deserved so much more and although I've loved Moffat forever.... what he did to P. Capaldi made me embarrassed for both of them.....

But, of course, that's just me.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that the general consensus in years to come will be that a majority agree with you Janine.

You are just ahead of the game; like the Emperor's New Clothes. You can already see, while many have not realised yet.

I do wonder, deep down, if Peter Capaldi is as privately disappointed as you are with his own era?

I suspect that he may well be, but has learned a lesson from Colin Baker and is keeping any such thoughts firmly private; at least for now.