Review Clive Barker

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000.jpg

Clive Barker (born 5 October 1952) is an English writer, film director, and visual artist. Barker came to prominence in the mid-1980s with a series of short stories, the Books of Blood, which established him as a leading horror writer. He has since written many novels and other works, and his fiction has been adapted into films, notably the Hellraiser and Candyman series. He was also the executive producer of the film Gods and Monsters.

Barker's paintings and illustrations have been featured in galleries in the United States as well as within his own books. He has created original characters and series for comic books, and some of his more popular horror stories have been adapted to comics.

His archives have been a source of material for biographies and non-fiction books containing his personal essays, discussions of his fringe theatre work, interviews, and other content.

Bibliography

Novels

Filmography

Year Title Director Producer Writer

1973 Salome (short film)

1973 The Forbidden (short film)

1985 Underworld

1986 Rawhead Rex

1987 Hellraiser

1988 Hellbound: Hellraiser II

1990 Nightbreed

1992 Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Candyman

1995 Lord of Illusions

1996 Hellraiser: Bloodline

1998 Gods and Monsters

2002 Saint Sinner

2006 The Plague

2008 The Midnight Meat Train

2009 Book of Blood

Dread

TBA Hellraiser

TBA Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae

TBA Born

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Hellraiser:The Toll? Can't say I've heard of that one and as I've only recently finished reading the Scarlet gospels and after it's riveting end I can't see how he could do another? Unless it's set earlier on?
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
51-0vG1TfuL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Hellraiser: The Toll" tells the story of what happened between Clive Barker's iconic works "The Hellbound Heart" and its follow up, "The Scarlet Gospels." Thirty years after Kirsty Cotton escaped from the clutches of the Hell Priest, Pinhead, and lived to fight another day, her life has never been the same. Every few years she fashions a new name, a new identity, and a new home for herself; She is a woman who is running from her past at all costs, which is why it comes as such a surprise when she receives a mysterious letter in the mail, addressed to the woman she's been running from over half her life. Answering the letter's query, she begins a descent down a rabbit hole to the ultimate confrontation. Her actions stir something unnamable in the ether, and throw her into a game where nothingnot even what she sees in front of her very eyescan be trusted. With equal parts economy and eloquence, author Mark Alan Miller brings to life the beginning of the end as "The Toll" expands the Hellraiser universe, and shows that before Harry D'Amour's adventures in "The Scarlet Gospels," there was a first witness to Pinhead's infernal plan.

Product details
  • Hardcover: 96 pages
  • Publisher: Subterranean Press; Signed, Special, Limited edition (28 Feb. 2018)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1596068493
  • ISBN-13: 978-1596068490

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I was surprised when I got around to reading the Hellbound Heart to find that Kirsty is not Larry's daughter in the book as she is in the film and also that Larry is called Rory! The Cenobites are also not as evilly crafty in the book as they are in the film and honour their deal with Kirsty at the end of the story while in the film they try to take her back to Hell as well!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm still waiting for someone to get off their ass and finally make a feature based on The Thief of Always. That book is incredible, and I would think that it would draw quite the audience.