Fun D.C. Animated Universe

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

All things DCAU can and should be discussed here. Does the DCAU begin with the Timmverse (BATMAN:TAS onward)? Should SUPER FRIENDS count? What were the best television series, animated movies? The worst? Can we have the person or persons behind TEEN TITANS GO put to death?

chainsaw_metal1

If I may, I'll start.

I was a huge fan of SUPER FRIENDS, and other DC animated projects, but I think the real start for the proper DCAU was the Timmverse, which incorporated BATMAN: TAS, SUPERMAN: TAS, BATMAN BEYOND, and JUSTICE LEAGUE, as well as BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM, and several other Batman animated films.

The best series, for me, would be a tie between BATMAN and JL. The best animated films would be MOTP, as well as JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM, JL: THE NEW FRONTIER, and BATMAN/SUPERMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES. The worst series would be, of course, TEEN TITANS GO, which is a horrible bastardization of the much better TEEN TITANS series. Then THE BATMAN, which was just poorly done. The worst movie was SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY, but only because there was so much of the comics that got cut for running time (I still haven't seen THE KILLING JOKE, but I've been told it's not good). In fact, that would be my real complaint about most of the animated films, that they cut too much from the source material, or changed characters or situations simply for the audience. But, in the end, I feel that if these films get people to read comics, then they are doing their job.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I haven't really followed the DCAU. although I am aware of the respect Mark Hamill has earned as the voice of the Joker.

I read the book of The Killing Joke when it came out many moons ago. Shame to hear that an adaption of it might not be good.

chainsaw_metal1

I haven't really followed the DCAU. although I am aware of the respect Mark Hamill has earned as the voice of the Joker.
Mark Hamill is a god among men.

I read the book of The Killing Joke when it came out many moons ago. Shame to hear that an adaption of it might not be good.
From what I have heard, they added an unnecessary love scene and relationship between Barbara and Bruce. It adds nothing to the story, which was one of Alan Moore's greatest. I also understand that the animation was horrible, and it changed a few other things from the original story.

Doctor Omega

Trailer: DCAU’s “Batman and Harley Quinn”

trailer-dcaus-batman-and-harley-quinn-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC Entertainment have premiered the first trailer for “Batman and Harley Quinn” which teams up the Caped Crusader with the Joker’s girl in order to take stop a threat posed by the plans of Poison Ivy and the Floronic Man.

Sam Liu (“Teen Titans: The Judas Contract,” {Batman: The Killing Joke”) helms the film which Bruce Timm executive produces alongside Sam Register and Jim Krieg.

Kevin Conroy, Melissa Rauch, Loren Lester, Paget Brewster, John DiMaggio, Eric Bauza, Rob Paulsen, Robin Atkin Downes, Mindy Sterling, and Trevor Devall lend their voices to the project. The film hits DVD and Blu-ray later this Summer.

Doctor Omega

The 2018 DC Animated Film Slate Revealed

the-2018-dc-animated-film-slate-revealed-696x464.jpg

Using the world premiere of “Batman and Harley Quinn” at Comic Con to make the announcement, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment have revealed their plans for their upcoming slate of DC Animated Universe projects.

First to follow “Batman and Harley Quinn” will be an adaptation of “Batman: Gotham by Gaslight,” the popular 1989 tale that introduced a Victorian-era Dark Knight as he sets out in pursuit of Jack the Ripper.

After that comes “Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay” in the Spring. The first “Suicide Squad” film set within the DC Universe Original Movies’ shared continuity will boast an original story and a big voice cast.

Then in late 2018 and early 2019 comes the two-part “Death of Superman” and “Reign of the Superman,” the film adaptation of the most iconic of the “Superman” comics storylines. Though 2007’s “Superman: Doomsday” partly adapted the material and made significant changes, these are expected to be much more faithful and far less condensed than that feature.

Doctor Omega

Trailer: Adam West In “Batman vs. Two-Face”

trailer-adam-west-in-batman-vs-two-face-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC Films have set an October 17th Blu-ray and DVD release date for “Batman vs. Two-Face,” the upcoming DC animated feature that marks Adam West’s final outing in his most famous role – Batman.

Burt Ward, West’s co-star in the 1960s “Batman” series, also returns for the film which sees them take on the one major villain from Batman’s Rogue’s Gallery that didn’t appear in the 1960s series – Two-Face.

Harlan Ellison penned an episode featuring Two-Face for the original series that was never shot and was later adapted into comic form in 2014. That serves as something of an inspiration for this film which stars William Shatner as the voice of the facially deformed villain.

West completed all his dialogue for the film before his passing. No word as to whether this will get a limited theatrical run, but check out the new trailer below.

Doctor Omega

DCAU’s “Gotham By Gaslight” Sneak Peek

dcaus-gotham-by-gaslight-sneak-peek-696x464.jpg

The next film in the DC Animated Universe initiative is the unexpected but intriguing adaptation of Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola’s “Batman: Gotham by Gaslight” series.

The one-shot, considered the first of the ‘Elseworlds’ stories which take DC characters out of canon and into alternate timelines or realities, is set in the 1800s and pits the Caped Crusader against Jack the Ripper.

While the film doesn’t have a release date as yet beyond an early 2018 bow, a new featurette is out offering a sneak peek at this adaptation. The clip is included in the new “Batman and Harley Quinn” animated feature which is out now on Digital HD and hits disc and rental next week.

chainsaw_metal1

I really hope they don't mess this up. I love the comic, and would like to see it done right.

[EDIT]

Never mind. I watched the video. Apparently, they can't just turn one of these into a movie, they have to mess with it. Ugh.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

justice-league-dark-slice-600x200.jpg

Justice League Dark
is a 2017 American animated superhero film produced by Warner Bros. Animation and distributed by Warner Home Video.

Featuring the DC Comics team of the same name created by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin, the film is the twenty-seventh in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies series.

It was released digitally on January 24, 2017, and on DVD and Blu-ray on February 7, 2017.

The film is directed by Jay Oliva, and stars the voices of Matt Ryan, Jason O'Mara, Camilla Luddington, Nicholas Turturro, and Ray Chase.

It is the first Justice League film and the second DC Universe animated film to be rated R by the MPAA.

Cast
Reception

Justice League Dark received generally positive reviews from critics.

The film holds an 71% based on 7 reviews according to the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

Dave Trumbore from Collider.com wrote, "Justice League Dark is a briskly paced, darkly magic adventure that gives some of DC's most shadowy heroes a chance to shine in a story that folds in mythology and mystery, while never losing sight of what it means to be a hero."

Felix Vasquez Jr. of Cinema Craze also praised the film, calling it a "fun celebration of supernatural elements in DC comics."

Renee Schonfeld from Common Sense Media was less enthusiastic about the film, calling it a "intense confusing comics-based tale that has tons of violence.

Doctor Omega

“Batman Ninja” Anime Film On the Way

batman-ninja-anime-film-on-the-way-696x464.jpg

The DC animated universe is set to take on a Victorian flavor soon with “Gotham by Gaslight,” the upcoming direct-to-VOD animated feature based on the first of the ‘Elseworlds’ Batman comic titles.

Now it has been revealed the Caped Crusader will soon get another makeover with the reveal of “Batman Ninja,” a new direct-to-video animated movie that reinvents the hero as a ninja.

On top of that, the project is being worked on by “Afro Samurai” creator Takashi Okazaki and will be done with anime style animation. Warner Bros. Japan and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment are teaming for the project which will be unveiled at New York Comic-Con next weekend.

Jumpei Mizusaki (“JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure”) helms the project which was penned by Kazuki Nakashima (“Kamen Rider Fourze”). A 2018 release is expected.

chainsaw_metal1

I dunno. I know I'll watch it, but it brings me back to my old argument. If the original comic was good enough to adapt into a movie, why change it? The original graphic novel is so good. And the addition of Catwoman is just...ugh. Why?

Doctor Omega

Animated “Harley Quinn” TV Series Planned

animated-harley-quinn-tv-series-planned-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films are set to develop an adult-targeted animated action-comedy TV series based on the fan-favorite Batman villain Harley Quinn.

Twenty-six episodes of the half-hour series, titled “Harley Quinn,” will be produced by Warner Bros. Animation and will hail from “Powerless” executive producers Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey.

Poison Ivy and a whole cast of heroes and villains from the DC Universe will also appear in the series in which Harley has finally has broken things off with the Joker once and for all and attempts to make it on her own.

Margot Robbie portrayed the character in live-action form in last year’s “Suicide Squad” and is reportedly at the top of the studio’s wish list for actresses to voice the title character.

Arleen Sorkin originated the voice role in the 1990s “Batman: The Animated Series” and played it across a space of twenty years, while in recent years Tara Strong has repeatedly played the role.

The series will be an original for the studio’s upcoming DC-Branded direct-to-consumer digital platform which also includes the upcoming live-action “Titans” TV series and a possible revival of the animated series “Young Justice”.

Doctor Omega

First Trailer: “Batman Ninja”

The first trailer has been released for “Batman Ninja,” the upcoming Jumpei Mizusaki-directed anime film based on the DC Comics property. At the same time the New York Comic Con announcement video from October has also gone online.

The film re-imagines the heroes and villains of Gotham City with a feudal Japanese feel as the group of characters get transported through time and space back to that era and become caught up in a local power struggle.

Takashi Okazaki (“Afro Samurai”) is behind the new designs for the film which aims to show “how Japan sees Batman”. “Batman Ninja” hits DVD and Blu-ray sometime in 2018.