Review Deadpool 2 (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Deadpool 2” Villain Was Reduced Not Cut

deadpool-2-villain-was-reduced-not-cut-696x464.jpg

Over the weekend came a report about the “Deadpool” sequel, one in which it was rumored that Jack Kedy’s villain character of ‘Black Tom’ was being scrapped entirely from the film.

The report followed on from shot down rumors the other month suggesting the film itself tested poorly and needed extensive reshoots – even though standard additional photography had already been done by that point. Fox opened up about the testing process and its scores shortly after, dispelling that myth.

Now Collider has posted up a report in response to the Meet the Movie Press rumor saying it’s not accurate…sort of. Sources tell the site that Kesy’s role in the finished film has not been cut, but it HAS been reduced with editing on the film slicing away a bunch of his screen time.

The film’s co-writer Rhett Reese also took to Twitter to confirm Kesy hasn’t been cut. Testing revealed audiences wanted more time with Cable (Josh Brolin) and Domino (Zazie Beets) and so reshoots on the movie beefed up their onscreen time – though it appears to have come at the cost of at least one character.

“Deadpool 2” opens in cinemas on May 18th.

Doctor Omega

Third Film Uncertain

deadpool-2-music-video-third-film-uncertain-696x464.jpg

Speaking with EW this week though, the film’s star Ryan Reynolds says he has some major doubts about the franchise’s future. He says that if they did a third film it would have to be drastically different:

“I don’t know that there would be a ‘Deadpool 3.’ I really don’t. I feel like the character, in order for him to function properly within his own universe, you need to take everything away from him. I don’t think that you can keep doing that.

I do see him as being a part of ‘X-Force,’ obviously. I would love to see him in a team-up sort of thing, like a mano a mano or a great female character from the ‘X-Men’ universe. I just think if you’re going to do another Deadpool solo film, you’ve got to really, like, get that budget down to nothing and just swing for the fences, and break all kinds of weird barriers, and do stuff that no one else can do… I do think that we could go to a lot of very unexpected places. I’ll just put it that way, but I would love that.”

The character is next expected to be seen in the team-up film “X-Force,” but that will depend upon how the Disney/Fox merger is going. As will the Channing Tatum-led “Gambit” spinoff film which is still moving forward says “X-Men” franchise producer Simon Kinberg who adds:

“We haven’t had any discussions yet about what the Disney acquisition of Fox would look like for the Marvel properties because I think legally they’re not allowed to talk about it until it’s done. So no we haven’t talked about it all. We’re just moving forward as we move forward. Once Drew Goddard’s ready we’ll get into X-Force and, believe it or not, we’re still trying to get Gambit up and running. The hope is to keep moving forward until we hear otherwise. To me, I have no idea what to expect but I think it could be really exciting.”

Doctor Omega

“Deadpool 2” Scribes Talk Post-Credits

deadpool-2-scribes-talk-post-credits-696x464.jpg

“Deadpool 2” hits cinemas tomorrow around much of the world and includes several interlinked post-credits sequences in the early-to-mid point of said credits. The scenes aren’t related to a plot, instead they are pure gags which go for broke in their efforts to send up the franchise itself, its star and more.

There’s a lot of people calling them the best post-credits stingers ever for a Marvel Comics film and you’d be hard-pressed to argue, but according to the film’s scribes there were two ideas they had for the scenes that didn’t make the cut – one nixed early in development, the other which was actually shot and then edited out.

Speaking with Uproxx, writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese said they really wanted to show off some more X-Force candidate interviews including an appearance by current Captain America actor Chris Evans reprising his role of The Human Torch from “Fantastic Four”. Asked if they approached Evans, Reese said:

“No, no, we never got that far. Someone had the idea we actually did and we thought that was better. But we definitely had a lot more X-Force interviews with bizarre, random people coming in to interview.”

The other scene which was shot, but then removed, follows on from a joke thread early on in the film and considers the classic time travel paradox – if you could go back in time and kill Hitler, would you? The writers explain what happened:

Reese: “Deadpool goes back and kills baby Hitler at the very end. That’s what was supposed to happen.”

Wernick: And not just supposed to happen, we shot it.

Reese: We shot it and we put it in front of an audience. He’s got the crib and he’s standing in the German nursery and he’s leaning over the crib to do it and there was kind of this, ‘ohhhhh.’ And we thought we don’t want to leave the crowd on an ‘ohhhhh.’ So it ended up coming out…Our last moment was Deadpool saying ‘Maximum effort!’ as he goes in to throttle the baby. It does make you squeamish.

Wernick: “There’s even a draft of that scene where we back it up even more where he’s standing over baby Hitler and says, ‘God, that is a toughie.’ He finds a Sharpie and draws a mustache on the baby – a little baby mustache – and says ‘Maximum effort!”

Reese: “Now he looks just enough like him that he can get up the courage to do it.”

That scene simply played too dark and left the film on a strange note, as opposed to the final post credits sequence which still involves a dark act but in a much more amusing light. “Deadpool 2” opens in cinemas on May 18th.

Doctor Omega

Fantastic Four Were Almost In “Deadpool 2”

fantastic-four-were-almost-in-deadpool-2-696x464.jpg

Considered one of the worst films of the current superhero resurgence, 2015’s “Fantastic Four” was a train wreck of a film long before it made it into cinemas. Production dramas, extensive reshoots and all sorts of other problems led to a film widely rejected by critics and audiences.

Three years on one of the film’s writers, Jeremy Slater, has offered a slight apology on Twitter this week. Speaking about his career and recent hire to adapt Stephen King’s “The Tommyknockers” for the big screen, Slater said: “when I finally got my foot in the door, I only had three dream projects on my bucket list. One was Marvel (umm…sorry about that one, guys), one was Star Wars, and the third, of course, was Stephen King.”

The comment comes as some concept art for “Deadpool 2” has gone online from artist Alexander Lozano, art that includes the 2015 “Fantastic Four” cast reprising their roles. Sketched during the early days of development on “Deadpool 2” before director David Leitch took over the production, the art offers a new costume for each member of the team.

However, it isn’t clear what the scene involving the Fantastic Four would have entailed. We do know at one time Chris Evans might have reprised his role as the Human Torch from the 2005 incarnation of “Fantastic Four” for the X-Force interview scene, but again that idea was chucked out before it got going. “Deadpool 2” comes to disc tomorrow.

Doctor Omega

PG-13 “Deadpool 2” Has Newly Filmed Scenes

pg-13-deadpool-2-has-newly-filmed-scenes-696x464.jpg

Next month sees the release of a PG-13 cut of “Deadpool 2” in cinemas, one that will incorporate both a new framing device that’s a parody of “The Princess Bride,” and cut scenes not included in the original along with a new edit of the movie.

Speaking with Slashfilm this week, writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick say this won’t be just a trimmed down version of the film, rather everyone involved went back and shot a bunch of new scenes for it in early September including the new framing device:

“We definitely shot new stuff, and recently too. After Deadpool 2 came out and we were all sitting around, we came to it less about the idea of let’s make a PG-13 movie and more, ‘Let’s talk a little bit about Deadpool.’ We were kicking around some ideas and then I think it was Ryan [Reynolds] who had the great framing device and we all got excited and went to the studio.

They said, ‘Yeah, let’s do it. Fire up the cameras.’ About two months ago we were out on soundstages shooting again. Ryan was in the suit and the gang was back together, Dave Leitch and Ryan and us having a great time and laughing. It comes together great so we’re super excited about it.”

Collider adds additional photography is reportedly not yet finished either, with the new release aiming to be different enough to get those who saw the normal version back into cinemas. So why is this new cut happening at all? The site says the PG-13 version is aiming to get a wide release in China, while the writers tell Cinema Blend they also wanted the sequel to be accessible to a wider demographic:

“There is that segment of the population who we’ve treated to a great disservice by not letting them see Deadpool, and we’ve sort of driven a wedge between parents and their tweener kids who aren’t quite old enough to see it, and are bitter about it. And parents who were mad that Deadpool is of a certain rating, and that their kids whine all the time about it.

So we’re trying to serve that demographic, in particular. But we have introduced, without giving it away — and you’ll probably be able to see it on the Internet — we’ve definitely introduced a new framing element to the story, and a new element to the story that will make it highly entertaining for adults to return, as well. That will probably appeal to them more than their children. Again, I’m not… we’re not allowed to talk about it, but if you do a deep dive on the Internet, you may sniff it out.

The PG-13 version of “Deadpool 2” hits theaters on December 21st though how long it will be in cinemas isn’t clear.