News Death on the Nile (2020)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I did not know the ending of MOTOE, so enjoyed it as a murder mystery in it's own right. I liked some of the sweeping cinematography too. Also, Suchet still the definitive Poirot, but Branagh not quite the embarrassment that I was expecting.

Doctor Omega

Branagh Open To Christie Cinematic Universe

branagh-open-to-christie-cinematic-universe-696x464.jpg

Racking up $311 million at the box-office, Kenneth Branagh’s glossy film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s “Murder On The Orient Express” was a solid hit with audiences and not too bad with critics.

The film teased and development is already underway on a sequel based on “Death on the Nile” and now, speaking with Associated Press, Branagh has mulled the idea of a linked Agatha Christie cinematic universe saying it could theoretically interconnect:

“I think there are possibilities, aren’t there? With 66 books and short stories and plays, she often brings people together in her own books actually, so innately – she enjoyed that. You feel as though there is a world – just like with Dickens, there’s a complete world that she’s created – certain kinds of characters who live in her world that I think has real possibilities.”

He adds that though he hasn’t pitched the idea to Fox, he says: “I bet they’ve been thinking about it though.” With Disney having purchased Fox, there’s no word as to what fate the franchise will meet.

Doctor Omega

On the new date front, a November 8th 2019 release date has been set for Kenneth Branagh’s second outing as Agatha Christie’s iconic Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, this one an adaptation of “Death on the Nile”. The date puts it exactly two years after the release of “Murder on the Orient Express”

Doctor Omega

Gal Gadot Joins “Death on the Nile”

gal-gadot-up-for-bride-of-frankenstein-696x464.jpg

“Wonder Woman” star Gal Gadot has joined the cast of Kenneth Branagh’s Agatha Christie adaptation “Death on the Nile” which has been set up at 20th Century Fox.

Beyond the return of Branagh as detective Hercule Poirot, Gadot is the first cast member set and will play the main victim – that of Linnet Ridgeway Doyle, a rich heiress who falls in love with and steals away her best friend’s man.

Their honeymoon on a cruise down the Nile is complicated by the fact many of those onboard have a motive to kill her. Things get even more complicated when some of the suspects themselves start to be knocked off. Lois Chiles played the role in the original John Guillermin-directed 1978 film adaptation which also starred Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury, Maggie Smith, Mia Farrow, Peter Ustinov, George Kennedy and David Niven.

Branagh’s recent adaptation of Christie’s “Murder on the Orient Express” was a hit, the film grossing $352.8 million worldwide. Judy Hofflund, Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Kevin Walsh and Mark Gordon are producing “Death on the Nile” which has been set for a December 20th 2019 release.

Doctor Omega

Kenneth Branagh’s second Poirot film “Death on the Nile” has finally set an official release with the Agatha Christie adaptation now slated to open October 2nd 2020 – ten months after the rumored December 2019 date. Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Jodie Comer and Tom Bateman are tipped to star.

Doctor Omega

Letitia Wright Joins “Death on the Nile”

letitia-wright-joins-death-on-the-nile-696x464.jpg

British actress Letitia Wright, who stole the show as Shuri in last year’s “Black Panther,” has scored a central role in the upcoming film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s “Death on the Nile” at 20th Century Fox.

Kenneth Branagh returns to both direct and star as Christie’s famed Belgian detective Hercule Poirot as he attempts to unravel the murder of a young heiress while on holiday in Egypt.

Wright will play Rosalie Otterbourne, the kind and doting daughter of alcoholic female author Salome Otterbourne who are both on the cruise and both potential suspects – Rosalie in particular.

Olivia Hussey played the role in the original 1978 film adaptation. Wright joins a cast that includes Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer and Jodie Comer.

Filming aims to begin in late September. Wright currently appears in Donald Glover’s Amazon short film “Guava Island” and will soon be seen in the sci-fi romance tale “Hold Back the Stars” alongside John Boyega.