The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I hope the Doctor isn’t enough of an imbecile to keep Myrtle alive as a slab of concrete. There is a fan notion that Elton was driven crazy by her death and is hallucinating.

Kill the Moon had decent writing and characterization, but I cannot forgive them for making gigantic scorpions “one-celled organisms” and making the moon an egg. I know DW isn’t hard scifi but this is too much.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There is a fan notion that Elton was driven crazy by her death and is hallucinating.
We'll steer clear of what I think of most fan notions. Needless to say, yes, while it is unfathomable leaving someone alive as a lump of concrete, it gives me endless giggles thinking of the idea of their sex life. I know, it's that 13-year-old boy mentality that refuses to ever leave my head, but picturing paramedics and police having to break down his door and get a slab of sidewalk off of his lap because he's too exhausted to get if off of his crushed genitals...dammit, that's just funny.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think it is more than a little unfair that Jodie has been nominated as best actress at the 24th NTA Awards, while Capaldi was never, ever nominated during his run.

In terms of calibre of acting, I feel that they are not even remotely in the same league.

I could never, for instance, see Jodie pulling off a HEAVEN SENT type episode, carrying the drama on her shoulders alone. (And I think that all incumbent Doctors should be given one such episode during their reign).

I always could believe there was an ancient Time Lord behind Capaldi's face.

I just see a lass from Sheffield who would rather be doing her online shopping or having a night out with her mates, behind Jodie's face. (And let's not forget that this great actress decided to keep her accent because doing a more neutral accent would be "too tough", even though Tennant managed it.)

If she wins, that would be rubbing salt in the Capaldi wound, imo.

Last edited:

The Seeker

I hate to say it, but I think she’s getting the award because she’s a woman in an iconic role. And I think there’s a degree of ageism in the dismissal of Capaldi also.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Sorry to interrupt.

I know that the sharing functionality and the login/register is somewhat broken. This is because Facebook, Twitter and G+ changed policies, this requires a complete upgrade to the main engine the forum uses, which is going to be done very soon. Please hang on tight as I do really want to make those changes.

The Seeker

Sorry to interrupt.

I know that the sharing functionality and the login/register is somewhat broken. This is because Facebook, Twitter and G+ changed policies, this requires a complete upgrade to the main engine the forum uses, which is going to be done very soon. Please hang on tight as I do really want to make those changes.
I did post a link to the Facebook group, if anybody saw it.

Doctor Omega

No Doctor Who until 2020? - A Broadcast History

Should Doctor Who fans be concerned over a year long gap, or are they over thinking it? This video discusses the upcoming hiatus in 2019, and having a look back at previous gaps between seasons, just to get an idea of how long this gap truly is! Do you think this gap is normal for Doctor Who? Let me know in the comments!

Doctor Omega

Found on PLANET MONDAS forum.....

Some rumour circulating around GB that the regeneration is still on for Christmas 2020, and that there will also still be a new year special for a new Doctor. Series 12 is said to be eight episodes, and the BBC are thinking of dumping them on I-Player first.

Doctor Omega

I personally cannot wait to buy series 11 of DOCTOR WHO on blu-ray - in a charity shop, in the bargain bin. I measured the box and it is just the right thickness to prop up a wonky table leg at home.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I personally cannot wait to buy series 11 of DOCTOR WHO on blu-ray - in a charity shop, in the bargain bin. I measured the box and it is just the right thickness to prop up a wonky table leg at home.
And the actual discs are perfect as place mats for cups, mugs and glasses.

After all, you don't want to risk damaging something valuable. :emoji_wink:

chainsaw_metal1

It seems to me that they can't give this modern SF - or what passes for it - away.
It really is sad. Once upon a time, SF was a concept that could encompass so many different topics and situations. Then we hit the 50s, where the space race made rocket ship media such a popular product that suddenly SF went from thought provoking stories that may involve robots or aliens to ray gun toting spacemen and aliens replacing cowboys and Indians (how the cowboys got from the old west to India is still unknown, but I hear they loved the curry). While SF writers could still use the format to talk about real world issues in the context of fantasy to avoid censorship, the format became a watered down version of what it once was.

Doctor Omega

I do wonder where the Robert Bloch's, Theodore Sturgeon's, Robert Holmes', Richard Matheson's, Harlan Ellison's, Malcolm Hulke's and David Whitaker's of today are when it comes to STAR TREK and DOCTOR WHO, to name just two series.

The current crop of writers all seem a bit full of themselves and their abilities - while fucking the job up - and don't really, imo, deserve to hold the pens of writers past.

chainsaw_metal1

CBS: Okay, Robert, we need to bring something to Discovery to make it more appealing to the old Trekkers...whadda ya have for us?
Bloch: Stay seated, because I have a story idea that is going to bowl you over!
CBS (internal voice): don't say it...don't say it...
Bloch: Jack the Ripper...
CBS: GET OUT!!!

chainsaw_metal1

I do wonder where the Robert Bloch's, Theodore Sturgeon's, Robert Holmes', Richard Matheson's, Harlan Ellison's, Malcolm Hulke's and David Whitaker's of today are when it comes to STAR TREK and DOCTOR WHO, to name just two series.
The writers are there, mate. Neil Gaiman is a fantastic writer who - in my humble opinion - should be placed next to those other greats. I think, though, that the powers that be seem to want to pander to a certain demographic who has little interest in SF/fantasy and are more concerned with how cool it all looks and feel like acknowledging the past is a bad thing. The biggest issue I find with the modern writers is they have either lost the knack for subtlety, or the audience is too dumb to grasp subtlety. Either way, it's a loss.

Doctor Omega

I do think that a lot of the writing has fear at the back of it. Fear that your audience will look away at their phones. Or change channels. It seems to be a case of doing any and everything to keep them watching. Explosions. Massively hyped farewell scenes. Promises of new twists on old monsters. Hyped deaths. Celebrity cameos.

I just wish they would calm down a lot of the time and instead quietly tell a powerful tale, and take some abstract risks on the level of KINDA or THE MIND ROBBER, episode 1, for example, while setting aside that underlying fear that your audience just might look away.