Review Empress of Mars (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Maybe I'm just easily amused by Doctor Who, but I enjoyed this episode very much.
The portrait of Queen Victoria being that of Pauline Collins was a nice touch. And the transmission being answered by Alpha Centari was a really great nod to the Pertwee era. I'm curious about the little staredown between the Doctor and Missy at the end, and am interested in where this is going.
And since there's only three episodes left, I really want to know where John Simms is coming into it all, and how this will play out.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
It was pretty heavy handed. Yes we know, the British were vicious colonizers, humans think they're better than any other species, blah blah blah. And why does an alien species have the same sex stereotypes we have ("surrounded by noisy men")?

That said, I too enjoyed Alpha Centauri (voiced by the same actress - now 92 years old!) and I continue to be intrigued by Missy's arc. I was half expecting that she'd steal the TARDIS and they'd be stuck on Mars.

Doctor Omega

Yes, heavy handed describes it very nicely.

And I felt it was dogged by that bane of modern Who; namely making smart-arsed quips and unfunny one liners in the face of jeopardy. As if they are afraid to scare their audience too much. This also undermines any drama.

I suspect that Mark Gattis is waiting and expecting us to congratulate him on his brilliantly clever script.

He can keep waiting as far as I am concerned.

I also think that he was - either consciously or unconsciously - ripping off "The Tomb of the Cybermen".

Badly.

Gavin

VIP
Probably the episode I've enjoyed the most so far this season. Not really sure why. Maybe because it was just a simple, uncomplicated story.

And I'm quite proud of the fact that when the Doctor sent out the signal at the end, my first comment was "I bet its answered by Alpha Centauri". It's pretty rare that I manage to pick something like that before it happens.

Double bonus watching The Flash finale (finally) and a 3rd Doctor reference there too - "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I enjoyed EMPRESS OF MARS for the most part, because I have always been a fan of the Ice Warriors. I thought that one of the strongest facets of this serial was that we finally got to see the transition of this alien species from a simple one-dimensional villain into a more fully realized alien civilization, capable of both good and evil. I felt that this transition benefited greatly from finally seeing a female of the species in action too. It was also nice to see Humans being the threat for a change. In my personal opinion, we get to see this far too little in DOCTOR WHO in particular and in science fiction in general.

However, I don't see why they had to start this serial with an idiotic and pointless visit to NASA. This was simply an irritating and a needless attempt at lame and unnecessary humour, which completely failed. I thought it was awkward and embarrassing. Despite this, I still found this serial to be vastly better and more enjoyable than the previous three episodes. Of course, these days, any DOCTOR WHO serial that does not feature a surprisingly unexpected and totally unnecessary regeneration scene is a positive bonus.

I must admit however, I felt like slapping Bill repeatedly when she wouldn't shut up about all of those films - then the Doctor fucking started too! By the end of the episode, I was surprised that Alpha Centauri didn't get in on the act. Although I must admit it was a welcome treat to see him back once more. However, for me this raises the question of exactly how long does that species live for? I wasn’t terribly impressed by the new effect for the Ice Warriors’ sonic weapon. I feel that a cross between the new effect and the old effect might have worked better - but that’s just me. Also, the serial as a whole reminded me strongly of a certain other DOCTOR WHO serial that featured a tomb as well as some Cybermen...

For a pseudo historical DOCTOR WHO serial that featured British soldiers on Mars during the Victorian era, I found it interesting that I was more preoccupied by the historical accuracy and authenticity with regards to a black British soldier being present. I am certainly no expert on British military history, but for some reason, it just didn’t ring true with me. And as for him having a photograph of a white girlfriend… I don’t think so. It’s little wonder he went to Mars. If he’d stayed on Earth he’d have had a very bad time of it. In fact, the only scene that rang true to me was the part where a white soldier literally sacrificed the black soldier to save his own neck.

I feel that the whitewashing of history - please pardon the bad choice of word - is fundamentally dishonest and extremely insulting to all of the unfortunates who had to try and survive as best they could through a difficult era in history. It does a disservice to modern TV audiences - especially the younger ones - who might not be aware of the true historical facts regarding this matter. Why would you wish to gloss over these facts, when you could take the chance to educate and inform your audience? Why give up a classic opportunity to provide insightful social commentary about it? It’s a great disservice to the truth and to those who have, who do and who will continue to fight for equality and justice. Besides, once upon a time, if the Doctor became aware of an alteration to history, it would have been a major plot point...

By the way, I’m sure this is just a coincidence…
ART - Asimov's Science Fiction.jpg
Of course, Classic Who also borrowed heavily from other sources, but I can't remember them ever doing so quite so blatantly. Of course, I could be mistaken.

GATISS: Generally Appropriates Talented Individuals' Suitable Scripts.

Gavin

VIP
Also, the serial as a whole reminded me strongly of a certain other DOCTOR WHO serial that featured a tomb as well as some Cybermen...
Yeah. I was honestly waiting for the Ice Warriors to start breaking out of their tombs and surprised when it didn't happen.

I feel that the whitewashing of history - please pardon the bad choice of word - is fundamentally dishonest and extremely insulting to all of the unfortunates who had to try and survive as best they could through a difficult era in history.
That annoyed me too. I'm not sure enough of history to know whether or not the British army of the time had black soldiers but even in the unlikely event they did I doubt they'd have been treated as equals. And as for having a white girlfriend, he'd probably have been lynched for even thinking about it.

EDIT: A quick wikipedia search tells me that the British were a bit more accepting of interracial marriage than the US. Black/white relationships would still have been rare but in the 19th century mixed relationships with Indians and Asians were accepted (although very much looked down on).

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
EDIT: A quick wikipedia search tells me that the British were a bit more accepting of interracial marriage than the US. Black/white relationships would still have been rare but in the 19th century mixed relationships with Indians and Asians were accepted (although very much looked down on).
That sounds interesting. However, there would still have been a much stronger element of bigotry and racism present, not just in the military, but in society as a whole. And I doubt there were many laws to prevent the public expression of these sentiments.

And I have to say that he looked neither Asian or Indian.

Still, it would be interesting to find out the specifics firsthand...

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Double bonus watching The Flash finale (finally) and a 3rd Doctor reference there too - "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".
That was the best line in the whole Flash finale! That was a really great episode!
I found it interesting that I was more preoccupied by the historical accuracy and authenticity with regards to a black British soldier being present.
I questioned that as well. I know that, in the American military, there was still segregation until the Korean War.

Doctor Omega

In retrospect the best of the season so far for me.

As much as I hated his changing THE ICE WARRIORS into bizarre cyborgs previously, Gattis genuine love for the show seems to shine through in a way that Moffat is incapable of, for I feel that Moffat does not even like DOCTOR WHO very much.

Alpha Centauri, a lovely touch.

The episode is not perfect, with the incongruous p.c. soldier with a white sweetheart (which smacks, like THIN ICE, of an almost Orwellian rewriting of unpleasant truths of history) and it is still a little too reminiscent of TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN, but, as a WHO yarn, I still think it is the best of the season so far.

The Seeker

Doctor Who (with the exception of “Rosa”) seems not to want to acknowledge historical racism in a lot of episodes.