Fun FILM GENERAL: Anything To Do With Films

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The Godfather III springs to mind.....

Sofia Coppola

and of course, Nicholas Cage is FF Coppola's nephew too.
Perhaps, but in fairness to Sophia Coppola and her father, the actress who was meant to play the role of Mary Corleone dropped out and Sophia stepped in as a favour to help out. Besides, all three films in the series felt to me like they were more of a product of the Coppola family than of just one member. In any case, I've never had a problem with her in the role and I don't understand all the criticism of her, but I wish I'd never listened to the commentary soundtrack.

I've also never been able to spot Nicholas Cage while watching the film either. I keep getting so engrossed in the film that I forget to keep a watch out for him.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Lol. Yes, sorry. I didn't mean that Nicholas was in Godfather III; Just wondering - despite liking him as an off the wall actor - if his ascent to fame and a career in Hollywood was another example of the influence of nepotism? :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Just wondering - despite liking him as an off the wall actor - if his ascent to fame and a career in Hollywood was another example of the influence of nepotism? :emoji_alien:
To some extent, but I also know that the reason he changed his last name to Cage was so that producers wouldn't immediately cast him on his uncle's name. He wanted to make it on his own merit. Which is commendable in an industry where you can have a career immediately just because you're from a famous family.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I like Honest Trailers, its fun.
Cinema Sins is a hit-and-miss for me.

As for Deadpool, I like the comic, didn't really like the movie. Maybe the second one wil be more to my liking.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Deadpool, I like the comic, didn't really like the movie.
Interesting, thanks - I've never seen the comics but now (I mean NOW about ten minutes since I finished watching the video, which was on my doormat when I came home from work) I think I'm in love with Deadpool, so if the comics are even better,, you've given me a quest and a challenge - Accepted!

chainsaw_metal1

@Carol The Comics are so much better than the movie, and that comes from someone who loved the movie. The books are so much more irrelevant, with more fourth wall breaking and goofiness. The Deadpool/Spider-Man crossovers are brilliant, because he has an obsession with Spidey. He's had some great moments working with/antagonizing Wolverine over the years. Seriously, go hit up your LCS or get on Amazon and purchase as many books as your account will allow you.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Discovering these mini-gems about a year ago has given me so many giggles and saved me significant dosh at the box office - given that I love what they do (however wickedly) to films I know and cherish, I tend to take their opinions on board about things of which I am essentially clueless.
What do other people think?
Here's a clincher - I practically laid an egg laughing at their Deadpool offering (having pretty much come to the Marvel-lous conclusion that if Sirs Ian and Patrick weren't playing, then neither was I) - so I've ordered the DVD and it might even turn up tomorrow!

So to recap - Honest Trailers, friend or foe?
And Deadpool - what do other people think?
I am a fan of CINEMA SINS, HONEST TRAILERS and HISHE - HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED. They're all available to view on YouTube.

I've not yet had the opportunity to watch DEADPOOL, but from what I've glimpsed of it - here and there - I like what I see. Of course, I am a big fan of superhero films in general and Marvel superhero films in particular - even the ones without Sir IM and Sir PS.

Carol

go hit up your LCS
Thanks for the encouragement - err, I'm just back from laptop-free Easter break, so a bit rusty, but I I can't for the life of me figure out what it is you are recommending I do here, but it sounds a bit too strenuous for one quite so full of Hot Cross Buns, and possibly illegal in Greater London. Can you de-mystify me with a bigger clue, please?

Carol

Many apologies. LCS is internet slang for Local Comic Store. Comic book shops are my Kryptonite. Those, and cheesecake.
Thanks! Once you spell it out it makes complete sense. Not quite as dangerous to my bank account as proper old-school 2nd hand bookshops, but yes - I think they all use a subliminal signal on the "never leave us, keep buying lovely stuff" frequency.
Also, being a modestly mature and sturdy female, I can lurk behind distracted lanky teens before making as grab for a choice item that flummoxes them on many levels simultaneously. And that bit of fun is free!

chainsaw_metal1

Not quite as dangerous to my bank account as proper old-school 2nd hand bookshops, but yes - I think they all use a subliminal signal on the "never leave us, keep buying lovely stuff" frequency.
As a collector, I can say that I've broken the bank in both places. I have been known to drop a hundred dollars or so by haunting the back issues boxes.

I have a problem.

My greatest surprise was when I picked up a final issue for a run I had been collecting, for $5. When I got home, before I even unbagged it, I noticed it was a variant cover. I went online to look it up, and found out it was worth $50. So that was a nice investment.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Didn't David O'Selznick's son take over the entire studio? I believe that, even though all of Hollywood thought he was a talentless hack, "Daddy Dearest" handed him the keys to the studio which he promptly killed.

Also, as I recall, two different and highly respected directors quit Gone With the Wind because he was producing it, wanted to see daily's personally and then went back to next day to make them reshoot everything. It may not be an example of nepotism per se' but it is assuredly an example of an ego run amok.

That was the reason the opening credits read "David O'Selznick's Gone With the Wind"..... Because he considered himself to be greater than the film. And yes, he may even have collected every award it won, on stage, for himself (actors & actresses obviously not included).

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Rob

Member: Rank 1
I have often wondered if Will Smiths failure to be in Independance day 2 was something to do with his son Jaden.