Review Firestarter (1984)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

The original movie can be found here..........

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/firestarter-1984.2384/

Stephen King stories are being remade and adapted left and right with IT hitting theaters in September; the long-anticipated big screen version of The Dark Tower in August; a new TV mini-series of The Mist hitting Spike TV in June. It’s a new age of King adaptations and the recently announced remake of Firestarter is yet another log on this massively growing fire.

Firestarter follows the story of a young girl who develops pyrokinetic abilities and is abducted by a secret government agency that wants to harness her powerful gift as a weapon.

Blum made the announcement at the inaugural Overlook Film Festival in Mt. Hood, Oregon, a festival that takes place in the famed location where Stanley Kubrick shot The Shining. Blum announced the new project at a screening of Goldsman’s new film, Stephanie.

Goldsman is best known as a screenwriter with a list of credits which include Cinderella Man, I Am Legend, and another upcoming King adaptation, The Dark Tower. Stephanie is his new horror film starring Frank Grillo and Anna Torv. The film revolves around a little girl with unworldly abilities who was abandoned before a man and a woman show up claiming to be her parents, thereby interrupting her mysterious world.

Scott Teems (Rectify) will co-write the new adaptation with the Academy Award-winning Goldsman. Blum will produce under Blumhouse, and Martha de Laurentiis, an associate producer from the original, will executive produce. Blumhouse is coming off one of their hottest years ever, producing mid-range budgeted films for $5 – $15 million like Split and Get Out that went on to see huge returns. Firestarter will most certainly have a larger budget than previous Blumhouse productions given the pyrotechnics and larger set-pieces described in the novel.

The original film starred Drew Barrymore, David Keith, Martin Sheen, and George C. Scott. The film falls into the category of King adaptations that the prolific writer was pleased with, at least after the benefit of time.

The original version was to be directed by John Carpenter who dropped out over studio disputes, but the final film still retains a sense of what-could-have-been under the direction of Carpenter; even down to the use of Tangerine Dream and their incredibly synthy score, reminiscent of Carpenter’s trademark music compositions.

The news also came just after Blumhouse and director M. Night Shyamalan announced a connected sequel to Unbreakable and the previously mentioned (and incredibly lucrative) Split titled Glass.

Look for Firestarter to light up screens across the country sometime in 2018.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Firestarter is a 1984 American science fiction horror film based on Stephen King's 1980 novel Firestarter.

The plot concerns a young girl who develops pyrokinesis and the secret government agency known as The Shop which seeks to control her.

The film was directed by Mark L. Lester, and stars David Keith, Drew Barrymore, Martin Sheen and George C. Scott. The film was shot in and around Wilmington, Chimney Rock, and Lake Lure, North Carolina.

A miniseries follow-up to the film, entitled Rekindled, was released in 2002 on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Cast

Production

In 1982, Universal Pictures hired John Carpenter to direct the film. https://www.imdforums.com/threads/firestarter-remake-announced.2383/

Carpenter had his The Thing collaborator Bill Lancaster write the script.

Stephen King approved of the script but after Carpenter's The Thing flopped at the box office Universal fired Carpenter and abandoned Lancaster's script.

It was the first film shot in Wilmington, NC, and is regarded as starting the town's film industry.

Firestarter is the fifth soundtrack album and 22nd overall by Tangerine Dream.

A remake has just been announced........

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/firestarter-remake-announced.2383/

Last edited:

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3
Effects-laden movie with a political subtext has a fantastic cast but not much in the way of suspense. There’s also little emotive connection, as it’s hard to root for the fiery, pint-sized protagonist when she’s blowing up anyone and everyone in her wake. A great excuse for some awesome stunt work through!

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Suffered from weird casting--I loved Freddie Jones' creepy Wanless (okay, I love Freddie Jones in anything), but Barrymore never did much for me as a child actress, and it's a certainty that Sheen and Scott should have switched roles--anyone who's read the book can see why. And Keith was never anything but blah in any role I've caught him in; yes, he has the Everyman mien that King's protagonists always scream for, but it can be tough to play Everyman without coming off as dull, and Keith didn't have the chops to transcend that conundrum. A misfire (you may hit me in the vital organ of your choice for that pun) that should have made a fine, creepy film but fell flat. I don't see the remake being much better (it's seldom a King remake has been), but who knows.