Review Gambit: Episode 24

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

avon-and-vila-small.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

The Liberator travels to the gambling paradise of Freedom City, where Blake is in search of a cybernetics surgeon known as Docholli who knows the location of Star One, the Federation power base. But Serverlan has implanted a bomb in Travis's robotic arm, which will kill both Blake and Travis, and Travis requires Docholli's help to remove the bomb.

On to the next episode.....

THE KEEPER

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-keeper-episode-25.3438/

Back to the previous episode.....

VOICE FROM THE PAST

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/voice-from-the-past-episode-23.3432/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A Robert Holmes script, so we are guaranteed sparkling dialogue at least and he does not disappoint. The relationship between Avon and Vila comes to the fore and there are some really good moments sprinkled throughout this episode.

gambi170.jpg

A shame that they did not shrink Orac down more often! It would have saved all that carting him about in future episodes. The designers and some of the actors are clearly relishing the camp quotient (a little too much?) and, as a result, Servalan loses quite a bit of that icy menace that made her so chilling in season one. Avon's use of the phrase "You dummy!" has never seemed quite right to me. It also seems to want to be an outer space western with Holmes punning use of Doc Holiday transformed into Docchilli.

Yet another step closer to Star One though....

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Scotsman? He was Irish!! Hahahaha I wasn't keen on this one even if it was a Robert Holmes story sadly! It just seemed to be wrong somehow! Blake and Travis together even for a few moments just wasn't believable, even if Servalan had deceived them both in her plans to locate Star One and don't get me started on that old lady in the ringmaster's attire and the Klute!
JB