Information Gremlins 3: IN DEVELOPMENT

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A “Gremlins 3” Script Is Done & It’s Dark

Filmmaker Chris Columbus has revealed that he has completed the script for a third film in the “Gremlins” saga.

Speaking with Slashfilm whilst out doing promotional rounds for “Patti Cake$,” Columbus says: “I’m really proud of the script. It is as twisted and dark as anything, so we’ll see. It’s always a budgetary conversation when we’re going to shoot it. I wanted to go back to the really twisted sensibility of the first movie. I found that was a very easy place for me to fall back into and start writing again so hopefully we’ll see that movie soon.”

Warner Bros. Pictures had previously hired screenwriter Carl Ellsworth (“Red Dawn,” “Disturbia”) to pen the film which started out a reboot until Columbus retooled it into a direct sequel. He also assures fans the creatures will still be puppets: “Oh, without a doubt, minimal CGI. CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier.”

Columbus says his script presents an idea that some fans have suggested. If the gremlins come from the mogwai Gizmo, shouldn’t someone try to kill it? “Very good observation. That comes up in the movie, certainly… I think it probably is a good idea to be honest with you. Too many people are dying.”

Columbus isn’t directing, but will produce alongside the original 1984 film’s executive producer Steven Spielberg.