Review Grudge (2020)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00001.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A house is cursed by a vengeful ghost that dooms those who enter it with a violent death.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Riseborough Up For “The Grudge” Remake

riseborough-up-for-the-grudge-remake-696x464.jpg

“Oblivion” and “Death of Stalin” actress Andrea Riseborough is circling a role in “The Grudge,” a reboot of the horror franchise currently in the works at Sony Pictures.

Nicolas Pesce is re-writing and directing the project for Sam Raimi’s Ghost House Pictures described as a new take on the 2004 American remake of the 2002 Japanese original “Ju-on”.

Takashi Shimazu helmed the 2004 film which follows an American nurse (Sarah Michelle Gellar) living and working in Tokyo who is exposed to a mysterious supernatural curse – one that locks a person in a powerful rage before claiming their life. Costing $10 million, it grossed $187 million worldwide and led to two sequels.

Riseborough is eyeing the role of a detective and young single mother. Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Taka Ichise will produce.

Riseborough is also contemplating a role in the Amazon-Sky miniseries “Zero, Zero, Zero” from “Sicario 2: Soldado” director Stefano Sollima. She would play Emma Landry, the no-nonsense operations manager of a criminal family’s financial empire in the story which is set in the world of international cocaine trafficking.

Doctor Omega

Bichir To Lead “The Grudge” Reboot

bichir-to-lead-the-grudge-reboot-696x464.jpg

Demian Bichir is set to join Andrea Riseborough in the reimagining of the horror classic “The Grudge” for Sony Pictures.

The original 2004 American version starred Sarah Michelle Gellar as an exchange student who moves to Tokyo and finds herself tormented by spirits of the dead.

The new take is expected to go darker and according to producer Sam Rami will be a “relentless supernatural thrill ride that explores the horrors of American suburbia”.

Nicolas Pesce (“The Eyes of My Mother”) pens and will direct the project while Raimi and Rob Tapert are producing. Filming begins in May.

Doctor Omega

John Cho Joins “The Grudge” Reboot

john-cho-joins-the-grudge-reboot-696x464.jpg

“Star Trek” alum John Cho has joined the cast of the upcoming “The Grudge” reboot at Sony Pictures.

The original 2004 film, a remake of the Japanese “Ju-On” franchise, starred Sarah Michelle Gellar as an exchange student who moves to Tokyo and finds herself tormented by spirits of the dead.

Cho joins a cast that includes Demian Bichir and Andrea Riseborough. Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert will produce with filming to begin in May.

Doctor Omega

Lin Shaye Joins “The Grudge” Reboot

universal-shifts-insidious-chapter-4-date-696x464.jpg

“Insidious” franchise star Lin Shaye is adding another horror series to her resume as she is set to join “The Grudge” reimagining at Sony Pictures.

Takashi Shimazu helmed the 2004 film, a remake of the 2002 Japanese original “Ju-on,” that followed an American nurse (Sarah Michelle Gellar) living and working in Tokyo who is exposed to a mysterious supernatural curse – one that locks a person in a powerful rage before claiming their life.

Andrea Riseborough, John Cho and Demian Bichir will also star in the new version while Nicolas Pesce is directing from his own script. Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert will produce and shooting begins in May.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I first saw The Grudge, and loved it. It properly creeped me out. Then I finally saw Ju-On, which I loved even more. Shimizu then went on to do The Grudge 2, which paled in comparison (however, the uncut version is much better than the theatrical release). I never bothered with the third.

Doctor Omega

Sony Pictures has set an August 16th 2019 release date for its remake of “The Grudge” which Nicolas Pesce is directing and which begins filming next month.

Doctor Omega

I first saw The Grudge, and loved it. It properly creeped me out. Then I finally saw Ju-On, which I loved even more. Shimizu then went on to do The Grudge 2, which paled in comparison (however, the uncut version is much better than the theatrical release). I never bothered with the third.

I saw the Grudge at the cinema and liked it, but found the original creepier. Have not seen either 2 or 3.

Can't say I am particularly interested in a remake already.

Doctor Omega

Grudge

Sony has released the first image from their upcoming reboot of “The Grudge” franchise opening June 21st next year. Nicolas Pesce helms the film which stars “Insidious” alum Lin Shaye who earlier this year said: “It’s the scariest movie I’ve ever been a part of, not even maybe. Not even maybe. And it’s the scariest part I’ve ever had, bar none.”

quick-news-grudge-poms-austin-genesis-charlie-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

G8ih1dw.jpg

A U.S. reboot of the supernatural psychological horror franchise that began with the Japanese “Ju-On” films, became the hit “The Grudge” U.S. remake, spawned two further sequels, and is now being reimagined here in essentially a second remake. Once again Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert, and Takashige Ichise will produce but “The Eyes of My Mother” writer/director Nicolas Pesce is helming this time out from a script co-written with Jeff Buhler (“Midnight Meat Train”) and it’s expected to bring a much darker, more sinister and grittier sensibility to the story. Andrea Riseborough, Demián Bichir, John Cho, Lin Shaye, Jacki Weaver, Betty Gilpin and William Sadler co-star in the film which is set for a Summer release.

Doctor Omega

“Grudge” Reboot Delayed Until 2020

the-grudge-remake-hit-by-a-lawsuit.jpg

Screen Gems’ remake of the cult supernatural “Grudge” franchise has been delayed by over six months. Originally set for a June 21st release, it will now hit January 3rd next year.

The move puts it in the same weekend in which the low-budget “Escape Room” opened this year and generated $18.2 million in three days.

Nicholas Pesce (“Piercing”) helms the new “Grudge” which is being produced by Sam Raimi’s Ghost House Pictures and is described as a new take on the 2004 American remake of the 2002 Japanese original “Ju-on”.