Review Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (2017)

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I never saw the first one but I'm going to see this tomorrow because a friend asked me
I did see the first one and unfortunately for me, thought it was the most exciting movie experience since Star Wars, the first one, was first released. Which was a very, very bad thing for me because, as Indiana Jones AtSFtLA proved when it was followed by AtToD. Gods above and below what a ridiculous mess. Who cared that SS was dating Kate "What's her face"? She was crap! After Karen she made women look like stupid helpless appendages that you add to a scene for their scream power (and not as in "super power" either). To this day I don't understand what the point of Temple of Doom really was. They should have just skipped it and gone straight to Sean Connery telling Indy to stop using the name of the _ _ _ as his own (no spoilers for those who may still not know or remember). Which was also not a particularly great movie but served the purpose of bringing start power together and keeping the franchise alive.... well, OK "I hate snakes, why does it always have to be snakes?" was fun to revisit.

But GotG pt. 2 makes me nervous. They told a fabulous story the first time out, told it well with great actors and FX in service of story instead of vice versa and they made them into something really special. Something I'm just a little frightened to see destroyed while they try to one-up themselves and descend to the level of stupidity instead of raising the intelligence quotient one more time. There is such a thing as "trying to hard" and it invariably becomes embarrassing and painful to watch instead of surpassing the predecessor it's trying to emulate. It's rather like continuity (since that's come up in a DW thread recently).... they want to "continue" their previous success so instead of paring down a bit and shaping things carefully and with great thought, they just throw the kitchen sink at it... along with all the utensils and possibly the toilet seat cover.... in the hope that "more will be more" which it invariably is. It is also the reason for the phrase that sometimes "less is more". I am, thankfully, well able to walk away from a sequel altogether if I have reason to believe it will destroy my memories of how special and spectacular the original was.

In fact, it's more likely that you'll find me out looking for another "original" instead of spending my money on yet another franchise that Hollywood simply cannot ever walk away from if it brings any chance at all of more revenue.....
Hence yet another ("just kill me now"... my quote in response to hearing about it) version of A Star is Born.... which decidedly should have ended with Streisand and Kristopherson.

Now, after my nice little rant, I really should go find my "bad girl corner" to sit in for just a bit and then take a nap. It was a long, stressful past 5-6 days and Mom and I are both just outta gas..... the hubby went to Mumbai, India to install a soccer field on behalf of his company which has gone international.... and getting him ready (VISA, passport updated, clothes for the weather over there, update the CC companies that there will be overseas charges so they don't shut it down, getting shots and his sleep apnea machine refitted, getting the necessary pills, making sure all his Scripts are full so he doesn't run out overseas, laundry, packing, a new laptop case as it's his most important piece of "luggage" and the realization that he needs to buy 3 sets of headphones (his iPhone 6 won't take calls without them) one for the suitcase, one for the laptop case and one for daily use.... so he'll never run out and do this and do that and do the other thing and get the lawn mowed cause it's almost a foot tall and at 8000 feet I can't do it myself when it's at that height.... and then pack and rush for the airport to get him off on time and then drive traffic home (yes, even on a Sunday) and then collapse on the sofa for 30 min. before I put the bird to bed and let the chins out to play and then have Mom tell me she doesn't feel well and could I sleep on the sofa downstairs instead of the bed I'm so desperately dreaming of and "yes, of course I will Mom. I'll be right here if you need me."...... and if I'm beyond making sense now it's because I'm truly beyond making sense.......

Am I done with this post?..... yes.......?

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Here's one spoiler - they clearly stated there would be a third.

The jokes came fast and furious. Some of them were pretty funny. I wish I'd seen the first one to help gauge your expectations.

Fun fact: the guy who invited me showed up late, then left right after the movie ended. How is that "seeing a movie with somebody"?

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
"seeing a movie with somebody"?
Which is why, darling Seeker, I always end up going alone!

No one else's opinion to worry about. No unwanted discussion during the film (god if I could only learn to keep my big mouth shut!) but mostly, no one else around to influence how you really felt about it.

But then, after almost 25 yrs of marriage and a hubby who installs artificial sports turf fields all over the world, I've learned to enjoy any number of things on my own and I never feel lonely or regretful and wouldn't change my life for all King Midas's Gold......

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And because you might have been lonely...... :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

The Seeker

I have a confession to make - I wouldn't have gone to see that movie on my own. And it's another friend's birthday, I probably should take him - if I could do it over I'd refuse the first guy and just take the second so I'd only see the movie once.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
if I could do it over I'd refuse the first guy and just take the second so I'd only see the movie once.
Ahhhhhh........ men. If I'd known men were involved my entire approach might have changed! After just shy of 25 years married, I can honestly say that more often then not.... they confuse the hell out of me! :emoji_blush: But then, that's what they say about us right? The best I can offer is to say: Go with the one you'll have fun with ! Like @chainsaw_metal1. Because in cases like these, it's the company more than the movie that really matters the most. Plus, with CS, who cares if you like the movie? You'll go for a couple of drinks afterwards, play some bar video games and kick the ass (OK watch him kick the ass) of something electronic.... because I personally would be dead in the first 30 seconds... and what you'll remember later is a really great time in which someone you really like watched you get your ass kicked by something electronic in game form! I ask you.... who could ask for more?!

Of course.... none of this does you any personal good now because you've already done the first go-round of movie watching. But for future reference it might be helpful, right?!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: (my sign-off darling ! ) , and for going to the movie with the right guy :emoji_couple: (holding hands is, of course, optional) and for having fun because you went with someone who is fun in the first place.... :emoji_ghost: (you could also double this for the electronic thingies that I can't kill and whoever I'm with invariably can!) and last but not least.....:emoji_boot: to kick your own ass with for having to go through dilemmas like this in the first place! :emoji_hugging: Whenever possibly, always go for the fun choice..... always! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

All of which comes from a place of love honey! I want you to be happy and have fun and the world can be a bloody ridiculous place to navigate.... you know, the maps with the dragons on them that said: "Here be dragons" and all that? :emoji_astonished::emoji_scream: Ahhhhh....................
I shoulda just kept my big ole mouth shut shouldn't I?! :emoji_no_good: Well, what can I say, it is me after-all! :emoji_shrug:

The Seeker

No no, better critical words from a friend (softened by dancing bunnies) than honey from a foe, right? Well live and learn. And the first guy had the nerve to send me a message about his opinion of the movie afterwards. You could have just told me that there and then! Geez!

The first guy, though, is usually more fun to talk to. The second? Uhhhhhh ... well he's not too bad but he's repetitive and you can't get a word in edgewise. And he's very, very needy. Men ... well, what can you do. I admit I can be not-so-lovable too. No such thing as a perfect friend after all.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
And the first guy had the nerve to send me a message about his opinion of the movie afterwards.
So he showed up to watch the film with you, then just disappeared completely and now thinks you're going to care what his opinion was?
I'd send him a link to the Milton Bradley game "Clue" and tell him to buy the game because it comes with lots of them and he clearly needs to have more than one in his repertoire!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: Ahhhh.... an emoji for a person with a broken brain! :emoji_head_bandage: But more DBs for you GF... :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers: