Fun Hammer Films

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
hammerfamebanner.jpg

Revival (2007–present)

In the 2000s, although the company seemed to be in hibernation, frequent announcements had been made of new projects. In 2003, for example, the studio announced plans to work with Australian company Pictures in Paradise to develop new horror films for the DVD and cinema market.

On 10 May 2007, it was announced that Dutch producer John De Mol had purchased the Hammer Films rights via his private equity firm Cyrte Investments. In addition to holding the rights to over 300 Hammer films, De Mol's company plans to restart the studio. According to an article in Variety detailing the transaction, the new Hammer Films will be run by former Liberty Global execs Simon Oakes and Marc Schipper. In addition, Guy East and Nigel Sinclair of L.A.-based Spitfire Pictures are on board to produce two to three horror films or thrillers a year for the U.K.-based studio.

The first output under the new owners is Beyond the Rave, a contemporary vampire story which premièred free online, exclusively, on Myspace in April 2008 as a 20 x 4 min. serial.

The company began shooting a new horror/thriller film in Donegal in 2008, backed by the Irish Film Board. The film is titled Wake Wood and was scheduled for release in the United Kingdom in the Autumn of 2009.[38] The film was produced in collaboration with the Swedish company Solid Entertainment, makers of the vampire film Frostbiten, which pays homage to the Hammer vampire films among others. It was given a limited UK/Ireland theatrical release in March 2011.

In the summer of 2009, Hammer produced in the U.S. The Resident, a thriller directed and co-written by Finnish filmmaker Antti Jokinen and starring Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Christopher Lee.[39][40] It was released in the US and UK in March 2011.

In 2010, Hammer, in partnership with Overture Films and Relativity Media, released Let Me In, a remake of Swedish vampire film Let the Right One In.[41]

In June 2010, it was announced that Hammer acquired Wake, a script by Chris Borrelli for an action feature to be directed by Danish filmmaker Kasper Barfoed.[42]

In February 2012, the Hammer and Alliance Films adaptation of The Woman in Black was released. Daniel Radcliffe stars as lawyer Arthur Kipps. Jane Goldman wrote the film's screenplay, with James Watkins in the director's chair.

In April 2012, the company announced it was to make a sequel to The Woman in Black titled The Woman in Black: Angel of Death. Also in 2012, Hammer and Alliance Films announced two more films going into production during 2012, entitled The Quiet Ones and Gaslight.[43] The Quiet Ones tells the story of an unorthodox professor (Jared Harris) who uses controversial methods and leads his best students off the grid to take part in a dangerous experiment: to create a poltergeist. It was released on 10 April 2014 in the UK and 25 April in the USA.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Would anyone on here say Beyond The Rave was any good? I bought it from a charity shop long time back and spun it through but it seemed a bit bleurgh! I did see Jim Carver from The Bill in it although i'm not sure if he was a vampire or not?
JB

Doctor Omega

You prompted me to do a thread on it, JB, along with all the newer Hammer efforts.....

So far, some of them look a bit... ropey, veering towards amateurish...., including BTR.

Teething problems during rebirth, I guess. But they seemed to find their feet by the time of WOMAN IN BLACK.

Having said that, HAMMER seemed to have gone very quiet again recently. :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

It seems to be a case of absolutely clueless people at the helm of a potentially brilliant franchise..... Yet again. :emoji_disappointed:

Doctor Omega

Behind-the-Scenes at Hammer (X the Unknown, Frankenstein Created Woman & More) | British Pathé

The archive contains some interesting material on that famous horror movie studio, Hammer. In particular, there's a look behind-the-scenes of "X the Unknown" and legendary star Peter Cushing on the set of "Frankenstein Created Woman". You can also see newsreel footage on Cushing during his time off, a model-maker who worked on "One Million Years B.C." in his studio, some shots of the old Hammer building on Wardour Street, and a section from the TV show "Film Fanfare" discussing "Frankenstein and the Monster", which must have become "The Curse of Frankenstein".

Doctor Omega

Christopher Lee banging on about his 100 percent belief in Black Magic and TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER, what he had just filmed.......