Review Hannibal (2013)

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
This had a terrific season 1. One of the best series I have seen. I have been a fan of Michael Mann's Manhunter since I first saw it, a wonderfully intense and disturbing experience. William Petersen gives a career best performance. Lector's interactions with Graham have always been my favourite element of Harris's Lector books. Hannibal tv series was just as intense, if not more so. Loved the performances, Hugh Dancy gave a fine interpretation of a man clinging on to his sanity. However, I felt that during the second series it started to lose its edge. I felt the writers did quite know where they were taking the story. Even more so with the third series. Then, in the middle of season 3, we reach Red Dragon. This is my favourite of Thomas Harris's books. While I think this interpretation is much better than the 2002 movie (an exceptional cast, lacklustre performances), it was not as good as I had hoped it would be. Partly, due to some of the best lines having already been use earlier in the Hannibal series. Partly, I felt it was a little muddled at times.

I have to admit, I haven't seen Hannibal since the initial tv screening. Perhaps I should re-watch this, see if my initial impressions have changed.

So far as the best Lector; I would chose Brian Cox (the cocky air was just so chilling), then Mad Mikkelsen. Finally Anthony Hopkins. While Hopkins gave a wonderful performance in Silence Of The Lambs, it slowly descended into parody over the course of the sequels. By the time Red Dragon was released I felt he was channelling Stan Laurel.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
This started out good. Sure, more focus on the visual side than the story, but it was good. Later on, it felt like I was watching some fan faction come to life, where they replace Clarice with Will.
It was cool to see Eddie Izzard in this, he is awesome.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I have been a fan of Michael Mann's Manhunter since I first saw it, a wonderfully intense and disturbing experience. William Petersen gives a career best performance. Lector's interactions with Graham have always been my favourite element of Harris's Lector books.
It was pure, beautifully filmed and genius! I haven't talked to many fans of the original but I always liked it better than the remake!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And Bunnies for a happy reminder, WP, and you MK! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Fuller Has “Great Idea” For “Hannibal” S4

fuller-has-great-idea-for-hannibal-s4-696x464.jpg

NBC’s “Hannibal” got the chop two years ago, but that hasn’t stopped creator Bryan Fuller from pursuing another potential season.

Speaking with filmmaker Mick Garris on his podcast, Fuller revealed he remains hopeful despite the chances looking increasingly slim:

“It was very likely that there wouldn’t be a fourth season (after season three), because I felt like we were running out of rope and NBC had kept us on the air for three years with numbers that nobody would have kept us on the air for. So I’m very grateful for those three years, but I felt like it would be shocking if we got a fourth season and we didn’t… yet.

I have conversations with (executive producer) Martha De Laurentiis. I have conversations with Mads and Hugh. We’re all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There’s some hurdles to get through. The rights revert back to Martha in September I believe and then it’s a matter of do we do it with Gaumont (production company of Hannibal)? Which would be the only way to do it if we wanted to use those characters.”

Fuller also discussed one idea in particular he had for the season:

“I just had a great idea for season four… There’s an interesting next chapter in the relationship between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter that would be fascinating to unpack. I’ve shared it with the gentlemen and they’re both keen on it.

There’s a whole storyline that I want to do with Katie Isabelle’s character Margot Verger, who we know is mother of the Verger heir and in control of the Verger meat packing industry.

I wanted her to be like Joan Crawford at Pepsi saying “Don’t F–k with me fellas” and just humanize all of the Verger meat packing plants and turn them over to PETA approved… That would definitely be marbled through the season, Margot Verger taking down the meat industry as a hot, powerful lesbian.”

For now Fuller remains busy on Starz’s “American Gods” series which has already been renewed for a second season.

As for Mads......

Doctor Omega

There’s New Hope For A “Hannibal” Revival

theres-new-hope-for-a-hannibal-revival-696x464.jpg

It has been two years since NBC cancelled “Hannibal,” what remains one of the most original and daring shows to have aired in recent times.

Fans have long clamored for more and those involved, from showrunner Bryan Fuller to stars Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy have all expressed a desire to return.

Efforts to save it didn’t work with Netflix and Amazon passing and the talk dying down. Now, in a tweet from Fuller, he’s offered a new ray of hope saying: “Conversations couldn’t start until 2 years after the final airing of season 3. [Producer] Martha De Laurentiis has started those conversations. This takes time.”

Back in the Spring, Fuller said there were some hurdles to get through to get the show revived, and next month a big one comes up with the rights reverting back to De Laurentiis. A deal would then have to be worked out with production company Gaumont.

It seems there’s a chance for Dr. Lecter’s return to public life after all.

Doctor Omega

David Tennant Nearly Played Hannibal Lecter

david-tennant-nearly-played-hannibal-lecter-696x464.jpg

Though often playing the quirky hero type in “Casanova” and “Doctor Who,” British actor David Tennant in recent years has scored acclaim for his darker turns such as the burned out detective in “Broadchurch” or the mind-controlling Kilgrave in Marvel & Netflix’s “Jessica Jones”.

Recently he took on the role of a psychotic homeowner in Dean Devlin’s “Bad Samaritan” which opens next week, and out doing promotional rounds for the film he revealed to EW another dark role he was up for – as Dr. Hannibal Lecter in NBC’s “Hannibal” series.

Ultimately the role in the Bryan Fuller-produced series went to Mads Mikkelsen and yielded the acclaimed three-season run of the show, but from the sounds of it Tennant did come close:

“I met Bryan Fuller a couple of times, and we talked about it. But I think they quite wisely chose Mads Mikkelsen, I think he was a perfect choice for it, and I think he did things with that character that I wouldn’t have managed, so I think the right man got the job.”

Tennant also added that his own switch over to more sadistic characters lately wasn’t a deliberate choice on his part:

“Nothing’s ever deliberate with me, I’m afraid. But there is something delicious about playing people that go to really dark corners of the human experience. I’m certainly not complaining.”

Tennant currently voices Scrooge McDuck on Disney XD’s “DuckTales,” will be seen later this year in “Mary Queen of Scots” and has one of the lead roles in the upcoming Gaiman-Pratchett mini-series adaptation “Good Omens”.

Doctor Omega

Mikkelsen Still Open To “Hannibal” S4

mikkelsen-still-open-to-hannibal-s4-696x464.jpg

Several years on since NBC cancelled “Hannibal,” it remains one of the best shows to have aired this decade and fans are still hoping that showrunner Bryan Fuller and stars Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy will continue it someday.

Efforts to save it with a streaming service didn’t work, but a lot of it was in limbo due to contracts. Over a year ago that changed said Fuller who added there were plenty of hurdles to get through to get the show revived. Now, out doing film promotion this week, Mikkelsen confirms to Bloody Disgusting that Fuller is still looking to revive the series:

“I haven’t heard anything specific. I know Bryan is still working on some ideas where we can find a new home for this. I also have a strong feeling that everybody who was involved in it would gladly pick up the glove again if that happens. I don’t know where they looked. That is above my paycheck, but I know they’ve been talking to different studios. I know that [Fuller] was working to get the rights to Silence of the Lambs so he could get in there and use some of those characters for his own universe. I have a hunch that might be where we’re going.”

Whether Mikkelsen will ever play Hannibal Lecter again is unclear, but he’s about to be everywhere shortly with the Netflix film “Polar” on January 25th and the survival tale “Arctic” opening two weeks later in cinemas.

Last edited: