Review I want to eat your pancreas/Let me eat your pancreas

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
mjeyds.gif

I started a new thread despite the recently seen thread because the title alone is a thread starter. The title alone should make you put this up your priorities list, but don't fret, despite the cannibalist title, this is actually a cute, touching, sweet movie about love, life, and mortality.

It was really funny when the scene where the cutesy girl smiles gently, emphasizing the cuteness of the blossoming love between high school classmates, the camera pans to a scene of a glowing sun’s rays entering the window, with a cute piano background and then the title enters: I WANT TO EAT YOUR PANCREAS/LET ME EAT YOUR PANCREAS. Boom! Such scene stealer.

Turns out the statement I want to eat your pancreas or any body part means you want to be like that person, and once you die, your soul will get into his/her body. Or something like that. Just imagine confessing your feelings to someone by saying “I want to eat your bile duct”. afro.gif

This is about two unlikely high school friends, Haruki and Sakura. Haruki, an introvert, was befriended by Sakura, a carefree girl with terminal pancreatic disease. One day Haruki accidentally picks a diary/journal owned by Sakura and she confessed to him that he was the only one, aside from her family, who knows of her illness. She shares her sentiments, her wishes to him, before she dies. Haruki tries to suppress his feelings (not romantic feelings) but at the same time gets amazed at the bravery shown by the girl, that despite her terminal disease still manages to laugh, make other people happy, find goodness in everyone, and just live life as if she had no disease at all. Together, they did her "things I want to do before I die". 12 years later, Haruki finds himself teaching in the same school, reminiscing his wonderful memories with Sakura.

Although there were scenes that alluded to a romantic relationship, what's undisputable about the plot of the story is that it is a touching movie about a blossoming friendship despite the travails of having a terminal illness. Sakura has a bestfriend, Kyoko, whom she hid her illness. She reveals she did not want her bestfriend to worry for her. I cried in the end when Sakura, through a letter donned while she was still alive, told her bestfriend how happy she was of knowing her, and she loved her, and how she wished for her bestfriend to live a happy life. sad2.gif

I wanted to cry when the guy cried (after he found out everything that the girl was keeping to herself) but his crying face just looks like I can almost hear the director saying “Cry for your life dammit. This will launch you career!” so yeah, I just cried when Kyoko, the bestfriend, cried while reading the letter.

Stay tuned for the sequel, "I want to eat your liver". Gong!

@sitenoise The end part gives me More than Blue vibes.

I highly recommend this to the group.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
I'm half-way thru this and I just so happened to see this thread. At this point, I really hate this movie. Performances are painfully shallow. The lead actor is as charismatic as a dead sheep, but the lead actress is especially terrible with her obnoxiously childish, cutesy, anime-style voice inflections. I really want to punch her in the face so she'll shut her annoying mouth. Where the hell did they find this actress? She's god awful. I may need to rewatch "...ing" (2003) to sufficiently wash the taste of this elephant compost out of my mouth.

plsletitrain

Ouch. sad5.gif

I especially found the lead girl cute, she reminds me of South Korea's Yoon Eun-hye which ironically, I've found very annoying and never loved a single performance. The lead guy, yeah, as charismatic as a dead sheep bwahahahahaha dead sheeps may disagree but I do like him, he really looked the "introvert/don't have friends/can't talk to a girl" part.

sitenoise

Ya know ... I was intrigued by the title, but I've been feeling a little burned by some of these Japanese youngster movies lately so I did something I never do: I watched the trailer. That didn't help. But I do love scenes of Sakura. I pushed the film back deep into my "if there's nothing else to do" pile. I like your review though, and (you know) you got me with the More Than Blue carrot.

lol - Every once in a while ebo reacts to these J-kids movies like this. And he usually hits the right buttons: non-entity boys and anime-voiced, too cute by half little girls. So I'm torn.

plsletitrain

Ya know ... I was intrigued by the title, but I've been feeling a little burned by some of these Japanese youngster movies lately so I did something I never do: I watched the trailer. That didn't help. But I do love scenes of Sakura. I pushed the film back deep into my "if there's nothing else to do" pile. I like your review though, and (you know) you got me with the More Than Blue carrot.

lol - Every once in a while ebo reacts to these J-kids movies like this. And he usually hits the right buttons: non-entity boys and anime-voiced, too cute by half little girls. So I'm torn.
I wanted to plead for my life and shove this in everyone's priorities watchlist but in your case, I've been reading your reviews for years now and I still can't confidently boast that I can "read" you. Heck, I even thought ebossert would like this and (I think) I can read him more than I can read you but I was wrong so I don't know but I'm leaning towards you liking the movie. I have to admit the girl's voice and gestures were kinda annoying but I think the director intentionally made it so as to make her appear courageous and you know how I dig those movies where one is dying or has some serious condition (was I inviting the devil too much and so he made it happen in my own life? sad5.gif) I guess it's safe to just put this in the "if you've got nothing else to watch" list.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
This movie was nominated for 14 awards and won 4 of them. A lot of people seem to like this one.

sitenoise

I'm watching it now. thirty minutes in and it's going well enough. I think the tinkly soundtrack is helping. I think "plain boy" is fine. And the girl has an impossible task, trying to be so upbeat. I don't think she's cute enough for this to be a winner but I'm impressed that so far she hasn't made me wince, even once. And her voice isn't squeaky, to me. It's Japanese upbeat teenage girl. I'll report back if I make it through tonight.

plsletitrain

Yehey!!!!! Yes, the music is really cute, one of the things that kept me on going on. I hope you make it through. (Or just pretend you did watch it in the end, like saying "Yeah it was so so great and I really enjoyed it so much that I'm exhausted and I'll sleep now goodnight!) lol

sitenoise

One thing I'm noticing, or am curious about ... this flick seems like the dialog is a lot more poetic than is coming through in the translation/subtitles I have. I'll bet that has something to do with the positive response ebo mentioned, like there is a canon of teenage girl metaphors being deployed here. And dude is a perfect alter ego to Big Man on Campus kind of guy. The kind of plain boy girls dream about from time to time but never have sex with.

plsletitrain

I knew it. This is a teenage girls movie directed towards teen girls. Ahem, I fit the demography.

Seriously now, I don't get what you mean about the dialog in contrast with the subs. I think the dialogue, the subs, and the antics all jibe with each other to produce this :emoji_purple_heart: of a movie.

sitenoise

I mean ... and this isn't in the movie but ... it's like if he said something cute and poetic about her eyes, referencing something a lot of teenage girls know about, and the subtitles will say "Your eyes are like little, round, black things".

plsletitrain

I'm not sure if I got what you mean (which I think I never will) but I think I remember also noticing some disparity between the lines and the body language or some other element. But I think I just brushed them aside thinking they were too unremarkable.

sitenoise

This girl is every guy's nightmare lollb.gif Gets a motel room, talks about sharing the bed, takes a bath, wants to play Truth or Dare. All upbeat.

sitenoise

Sometimes we get long scenes of watching someone read a book. That's action! I'm kind of an expert on these kinds of films where nothing happens and then someone dies. It all comes down to the actors, and these two little twerps get a passing grade. I'm in the middle of the big twisterooneo right now. Well played! I was starting to ho hum a little (you know how it is with these arthouse flicks) but I think I can see the finish line.