Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Oh, & before I forget, the other IMDb sequel board already started banning people...
As someone who still browses through IMDB v.2.0 (yes, I know it is infidelity towards IMD, but I can't help it!), I think that most of the banned members have been spammers so far.

However, I am aware of three very active members with high post counts who self-deleted their accounts because they felt they were treated unfairly because of their 'controversial' opinions.

The thing is, ProBoards has their own set of rules that need to be followed and the administrator could have his forum shut down if objectional contents aren't removed. So, I can imagine the pressure mounting for the administrative team as the site continues to get a lot of traffic...

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Thank you. *hugs*
:emoji_relieved:

The only time I ever got on a soapbox about religion on the IMDb boards was when folks got indignant about their faith. I won't back down from an argument. I have too much of my mom in me. :emoji_grin: They didn't realize I was raised a Christian, and have read the Bible through, and know the material pretty well (at one point, my pastor wanted me to go into the ministry, but it wasn't for me - I'm too much of a trouble maker). I'm cool with anything anyone believes. Except Scientologists. heeheehee

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Dear Members,

We are trying really hard to advertise our site without spamming IMDb or getting into trouble for this and we would like to ask you all to help us help IMDb members before it is too late.

We are well aware of the many options out there and even the socalled Look-a-Likes that may or may not give them problems in the future [legal/trademark issues, etc].

But the advertising or convincing the members on IMDb is really hard, especially for just the two of us, and we could deffo use a boost in numbers or atleast spreading the word as much as possible on IMDb and even social media.

If you do feel the same way and already are doing this, please let us know here where you did this and link it too. The more we do that, the more will come to us and all we want is to give the members a safe and dedicated place to be when they shut the boards down.

Thank you all for the effort and time, we hope we can make this a place to be!

Embarrassing as this is to admit, I'm still struggling with being able to create a link....

However, a gal-pal of mine from one of the boards on IMDb started her own site to pretty much keep Lucifer's fan club a place to relocate. They are doing other things as well but not to the degree that this site is already set-up to do. So I'll pop over there to give everyone who knows me from S1 a head's-up regarding this site. If it's OK with you guys, I'm going to ask her permission to do this before I actually post a thread for her members because she's a friend and I don't want her to think I don't respect what she's done or that I hadn't given my actions in doing this the proper consideration. If she's good with it (and I think she will be because there's no real thread for Luci here anyway), I'll come back with an address at the very least and a link if I can finally figure out how to get it done. I'm running on a MacBook Air and haven't found any instructions on how to cut & paste links with anything as new as my Fall 2016 purchase. I know that I should be able to just copy the address from the site ID in my location header but for some reason it will only copy & paste the address but never creates an actual link.

In any case, I'm already a member on her site and we have each others personal emails so I've got all kinds of access to her and I've seen the screen names of any number of the "originals" from S1 of Luci, many of whom would find a lot on this site as appealing to them as it is to me. We were an uncommonly well-behaved group with some seriously off-the-charts wacky senses of humor along with some pretty sophisticated thinking; so I'd love to see them on this board ASAP to help me start new threads and get some serious responses on shows we've all seen and love commenting on.

But I'm pretty sure it's the only place I'll be able to do that on because I've lost contact with most my buds from IMDb and have no idea how to find them. So I'll go see who I can gather up for us (even if it's only part time for some of them) and get back to you about how it all went.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
One thing I will say I re-registered my name on MovieChat protecting my name from being used by another.
I remember you from the IMDb boards HPD, we talked about scary trolls because I was early into posting and you were helpful, considerate and funny. Pretty sure you've got loads of fans "big guy"! (that would be a reference to your name and your old avatar). :emoji_kiss:

the badwolf

Member: Rank 1
I miss IMDB boards i was there regularly for 13 years and am likely to never visit IMDB again as much as this board could be good if it got the traffic IMDB had a dedicated board for EVERY tv show and film I used to enjoy watching shows then going to the dedicated board to talk about it with others unfortunatly that is not possible here

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
We all miss it very much and a lot I know aren't going back either.

unfortunatly that is not possible here
I am sorry but this is not true, we have stated many times on different threads here that this IS possible. It's just not there yet and someone has to start something for it to exist in the first place
Feel free to start anything in the existing categories.

the badwolf

We all miss it very much and a lot I know aren't going back either.

I am sorry but this is not true, we have stated many times on different threads here that this IS possible. It's just not there yet and someone has to start something for it to exist in the first place
Feel free to start anything in the existing categories.
Yes I realise that we can start threads but it is not the same starting a thread in the limited number of existing categories and not a dedicated board for every show or actor that is just not possible for cost reasons the thing with IMDB was it did have this and even little known or very old shows had a board.

That said I like it here and do not know of a better replacement but it would be too expensive to do what IMDB did with dedicated boards for every show and actor.

I do not mean to "dis" this place and it has a great deal of potential but that doesn't stop me or anyone else missing IMDB. I guess it really is true you don't know what you got till it is gone. But it not the first time I had a forum close on me. I was a regular on channel 4 forums and losing those made me lose contact with a lot of people too

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
I understand completely and I don't see it as a dis nor do I want you to stop missing it.

However, IMDb had the boards connected from the database to a board and it's just the way they set it up from day one the board came online. If we would grow to that extend, we can expand the way we create threads and categories wich will lead to dedicated boards for every show or actor.

You might not see it now, but it will take a long time before we can even say we have something that resembles the old IMDb boards, this needs to be build by the community and like we have the Franchise boards wich contain dedicated categories for Star Wars and Star Trek, etc.

If you start a thread about whatever movie or actor then that will be the dedicated place to talk about it. Whether it be per movie or per episode or per character, it should be possible even now.
About it being too expensive is not relevant now and when we reach that size, we will obviously have some sort of way to have people donate for example, but no need for any of that for atleast a year depending on growth.
None of us can see the future but I want to be positive and motivate everyone to start doing whatever you all did on IMDb and we'll see where it goes from here and how it grows.

Alex is the Tech guy and can tell you how big or dedicated it can get from a code/background perspective. I just know it's all possible, now and in the future.

Anouk

I remember the IMDB forums all right. Actually, I was quite sad when I heard that they were being removed. For reasons, I was out of IMDB for two years, I couldn't contribute in any of the ways I usually did. I found it quite changed, but the worst is the loss of the forum. I thought that I would enjoy my return there now that I have more time to post. Sadly, they are gone forever. The thing is that I am looking for a new one. I did not feel bullied, except for one cult film which I thought - and still think - boring, bland and rubbish overall without any redeeming qualities. New forums need to give time to people to get the word out. Something obvious: many people will leave cinema websites altogether, or at least they will stop participating. So your public is not necessarily old IMDB users, but maybe new ones. In any case, it took years for IMDb to become so successful, so it may take some time to this as well.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I remember the IMDB forums all right. Actually, I was quite sad when I heard that they were being removed. For reasons, I was out of IMDB for two years, I couldn't contribute in any of the ways I usually did. I found it quite changed, but the worst is the loss of the forum. I thought that I would enjoy my return there now that I have more time to post. Sadly, they are gone forever. The thing is that I am looking for a new one. I did not feel bullied, except for one cult film which I thought - and still think - boring, bland and rubbish overall without any redeeming qualities. New forums need to give time to people to get the word out. Something obvious: many people will leave cinema websites altogether, or at least they will stop participating. So your public is not necessarily old IMDB users, but maybe new ones. In any case, it took years for IMDb to become so successful, so it may take some time to this as well.
Absolutely agree with everything you just said. Every big project takes HUGE ammounts of time to succeed and that's the idea I have in my mind. I don't care how long it takes, I care about quality and that's what I'm going to offer, you guys contribute with everything else. It's you that makes this forum great and will continue to do so. I'm just happy that I was able to use my experience to offer something of value to counter the loss of such an important board.

MIKEPR

IMDb Message Boards Announcement

The IMDb message boards were disabled on February 20, 2017. This included the Private Message system. IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities. For more information, see the FAQ here.
Oh really? Like eliminating the boards is helping matters.