Controversial Jack the Ripper

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
It was indeed!

(This lack of credit was my fault, as I stupidly and accidentally omitted the title page when posting it. :emoji_head_bandage:

I have gone back and added it in now, so you can now see who the artist was.

But this proves you know your artists, JB! :emoji_alien:)
I'm a big fan or was of Marvel Comics, Doc and I used to have a sort of photographic memory of the plots, bad guys and artists from their main run! Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible hulk, Fantastic Four, DareDevil etc
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Gene Colan
Co-creator of The Falcon, one of the coolest heroes ever. He also did the entire run of Tomb of Dracula. Colan had such a great style, and different from Kirby and Ditko. Another one you don't hear enough about unless you're talking to other diehards.

chainsaw_metal1

Doc, thanks for the posts! Absolutely wonderful!

And yes, according to Comic Book Realm, there were only two issues. Which is weird, because I thought that the title had run longer.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Thanks CSM. As well as posting strips and interviews, articles, etc that I think people will like, I will also be posting the cover and editorial page alongside them for context, so please do feel free to continue requesting any parts of the interiors and contents, strips, articles, interviews, should you spot anything else nice on the editorial page.

It's actually will be kinda fun excavating these relics and letting people see stuff, some really obscure, that hasn't been seen for a long time. :emoji_alien:

Thanks for the info on the print run of MOH too. Marvel clearly weren't exactly masters of horror when it came to comic book sales! :emoji_head_bandage: (Save for their DRACULA/FRANKENSTEIN/WEREWOLF BY NIGHT trio, perhaps?)

chainsaw_metal1

Thanks for the info on the print run of MOH too. Marvel clearly weren't exactly masters of horror when it came to comic book sales! :emoji_head_bandage: (Save for their DRACULA/FRANKENSTEIN/WEREWOLF BY NIGHT trio, perhaps?)
Marvel only had 3 or 4 horror titles, outside of the monster titles you mentioned. Which is okay, because they knew where their bread & butter was, and that was tight super hero stories. DC had quite a few titles, the most well known being House of Mystery and House of Secrets. Charleton had a handful of great horror anthology titles, and Gold Key had Boris Karloff Tales of Terror, and several Ripley's Believe It Or Not titles, one of which was subtitled True Ghost Stories.

johnnybear

Tomb of Dracula, The Frankenstein Monster and Werewolf By Night are the three titles I know of! Dracula was by Gene Colan and he stayed for the seventy issues and some of the later spin-offs! Mike Ploog did both Frankenstein and Werewolf but Frankenstein ended after only eighteen issues and the Werewolf too finished earlier than expected but did last longer than Frank! All three characters carried on in other titles as I recall!
JB

johnnybear

Co-creator of The Falcon, one of the coolest heroes ever. He also did the entire run of Tomb of Dracula. Colan had such a great style, and different from Kirby and Ditko. Another one you don't hear enough about unless you're talking to other diehards.
Yep, in Captain America #117 where the Red Skull appropriates Cap's body and they swop identities with the aid of the Cosmic Cube! :emoji_wink:
JB

Doctor Omega

Victorian women | Life in Victorian times | 108 year old woman | Money Go Round | 1977

Joan Shenton Mrs. Florence Pannel born in 1868 speaks to about life for women in Victorian times, and also what it was like setting up a Beauty care business during those times including her life in Paris.
First shown: 25/02/1977

Doctor Omega

It seems she finally passed away in 1980, JB, at 111 years of age, according to this table of the oldest women in the UK, having briefly been the oldest living persion from Feb, 1979 until the time of her death......

http://www.nealirc.org/Gerontology/OldestWomanUnitedKingdom.html

Florence Pannell February 12, 1979 October 20, 1980 111 years 299 days December 26, 1868
Odd to think that she would have been about 19 or 20 at the time of the Ripper murders.

johnnybear

Weird to think that someone was alive at that time and of a comparable age! My Grandparents were born in 1891 but that was after Jolly Jack's reign I believe while this lady was an adult and my Grandfather died in 1977 and Grandmother in January 1982 just before the screening of Castrovalva part two to be exact!
JB

Doctor Omega

It's always good when they get to a good age. I only remember my maternal Grandparents, my paternal ones having already passed when I was born, I remember first meeting them on a trip down to South Wales in the long, hot summer of 1976.

Having bought issue 2 of HOUSE OF HAMMER magazine in the village newsagents, shortly after arriving.....

e616d81a6414e8318023d8924dbb5b71.jpg

......... it promptly vanished and my Mum found it (eventually) on my Grandad's bedside reading cabinet. He grumpily dismissed it as "a load of rubbish!", but that hadn't stopped him wandering off with it!

I love the fact that our ancestors tended to be a hardy breed and were often colourful characters, toughened by having gone without in times of hardship or war - and often stubbornly set in their ways. But God, what fascinating anecdotes and tales they could tell of their pasts.

And not for them the compensation culture. If the lights in the house went out they would simply break out the candles, rather than look for who they could sue! :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

It's strange but those Hammer magazines were always in Wales! I remember seeing back copies in a shop in Llandudno in 77 but never bought any of them and told a friend at school about them! He was hopping mad that I hadn't bought any (I was more into Marvel at that time) but the following year we went back there and they still had them!!! I bought all that they had and he'd given me some money as well so I came away with everything except #3 which I eventually got off the net in 2003 I think it was! Sadly as soon as I was well into the Hammer mags, having ditched Marvel, they cancelled the bloody thing!!! :emoji_scream:
JB