Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Joker” Director Says Film Isn’t What You Think

joker-director-says-film-isnt-what-you-think-696x464.jpg

Ahead of the trailer launch online in a bit over twelve hours, Warner Bros. Pictures used its CinemaCon presentation to show off the first footage from director Todd Phillips’ “Joker” movie which screened to a very good response.

Phillips was also on hand to say that while there has been a lot of talk about what the film is, most of it hasn’t been very accurate and that’s expected: “when you set out to make an origin story about a beloved character that basically has no definitive origin.”

Phillips says the film is still taking shape and so when the marketing department at Warners asked him to describe the movie the other day he said: “I can’t”. Asked for a genre, he dubbed it a “tragedy”.

From those who’ve seen the footage, comparisons have been made to Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver,” Lynne Ramsey’s “You Were Never Really Here” and Nicole Kassell’s “The Woodsman” with a small scale, strong cinematography from Laurence Sher, and another potential excellent performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

“Joker” opens nationwide on October 4th. The trailer will reportedly go online between 12pm-1pm US-EST tomorrow (Wednesday, April 3rd).

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
“Joker” Director Says Film Isn’t What You Think
That's quite likely, because I've given this film no thought at all...

However, at least Jared Leto isn't in it.

Doctor Omega

De Niro On “Joker” & “King of Comedy” Link

de-niro-on-joker-king-of-comedy-link-696x464.jpg

The arrival yesterday of the first trailer for Todd Phillips’ “Joker” film has caused much chatter and discussion in its wake, along with countless comparisons to some of Scorsese’s early masterpieces – most notably his pitch-black satire “The King of Comedy”.

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-king-of-comedy-1982.6211/

Robert De Niro starred in ‘King’ as Rupert Pupkin, a mentally-deranged wannabe comedian who grew up poor and neglected, was bullied in his youth, and whom becomes obsessed with famed comedian and talk show host Jerry Langford (Jerry Lewis) – going so far as to kidnap him and leveraging that into a stand-up routine opening Langford’s show.

“Joker” features some callbacks from Joaquin Phoenix wearing the same jacket De Niro’s Pupkin character wears, to the trailer showing De Niro himself playing a TV host named Murray Franklin who introduces Joker on stage. Talking with Indiewire in the wake of that trailer release, De Niro spoke about the connection:

“There’s a connection, obviously, with the whole thing. But it’s not as a direct connection as the character I’m playing being Rupert many years later as a host… But by making this type of film, it is connected in a way, as you’ll see.”

De Niro reportedly added that he would have been interested in making a direct “The King of Comedy” connection had Todd Phillips and the producers made the suggestion to him on the set. “Joker” is coming to cinemas on October 4th.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Well, having watched the first trailer, I must say I'm mildly interested.

It seems to be taking a different approach to the character of the Joker than what I've previously seen.

That should at least make for a fresh and original change of pace.

Doctor Omega

Well, having watched the first trailer, I must say I'm mildly interested.

It seems to be taking a different approach to the character of the Joker than what I've previously seen.

That should at least make for a fresh and original change of pace.

I'm looking forward to this one too.

Doctor Omega

“Joker” Scores 8-Minute Standing Ovation

http://www.darkhorizons.com/joker-scores-8-minute-standing-ovation/

Warner Bros. Pictures premiered Todd Phillips’ “Joker” last night in competition at the Venice Film Festival where the film was met with an eight-minute standing ovation and shouts of applause at its conclusion. The response was expected after early morning press screenings similarly went down well though there’s some divisiveness in the reviews.

28 reviews have already been posted via Rotten Tomatoes from critics with a very good 86% T-meter ranking, but more impressively a 9.22/10 average rating – one of the absolute highest average rating scores on the site. Star Joaquin Phoenix is already said to be a serious awards contender for the project, though the overall film has a more varied reaction.
Here’s a sampling of reviews below:
“Having brazenly plundered the films of Scorsese, Phillips fashions stolen ingredients into something new, so that what began as a gleeful cosplay session turns progressively more dangerous – and somehow more relevant, too. 5/5” – Xan Brooks, Guardian
“This is a truly nightmarish vision of late-era capitalism – arguably the best social horror film since Get Out – and Joaquin Phoenix is magnetic in it. 5/5” – Philip De Semlyen, Time Out
“Phillips may want us to think he’s giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he’s just offering a prime example of it.” – Stephanie Zacharek, TIME Magazine
“This is the world post-Joker and with nothing but shaky-breathed respect for the filmmaking and storytelling achievement it represents, God help us all. B+” – Jessica Kiang, The Playlist
“If you strip the Joker and his nearly 80-year history as a cultural icon out of this film, as well as all the 1970s movie homages, there’s not a whole lot left except for Phoenix’s performance, and it’s the kind of turn that’s destined to be divisive.” – Alonso Duralde, The Wrap
“I’ve not always gotten along with Phoenix’s mannered, muscle-strained approach to his craft, but here he makes a compelling case for going full-tilt..” – Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair
“Feeble posturing, asinine pop psychology and political analysis charged with all the cynicism of a mollycoddled teen dropout in fake Oakleys and a home customised Linkin Park tee.” – David Jenkins, Little White Lies
“‘Joker’ is a dark, brooding and psychologically plausible origin story, a vision of cartoon sociopathy made flesh..” – Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times
“A dazzlingly disturbed psycho morality play, one that speaks to the age of incels and mass shooters and no-hope politics, of the kind of hate that emerges from crushed dreams.” – Owen Gleiberman, Variety
“Joaquin Phoenix’s fully committed performance and Todd Phillips’ masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways.” – Jim Vejvoda, IGN Movies
“Not to discredit the imaginative vision of the writer-director, his co-scripter and invaluable tech and design teams, but Phoenix is the prime force that makes Joker such a distinctively edgy entry in the Hollywood comics industrial complex.” – David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter
“Joker” opens around much of the world on October 4th.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
My wife is even interested in seeing this, and asked me the other day if I had seen the new trailer. I finally watched it, and still can't find any excitement in me for this film. Maybe if it weren't titled Joker I might have some interest in it, I don't know. But it just isn't triggering my Chainsaw sense.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this movie, but a friend of mine invited me to meet him there, and I thought, if he's inviting me to see it, knowing my tastes, it must not be the typical comic book film. So I read up on it a little, went to go see it with him, aaaaand ...

This is not the Joker I'm familiar with – the sesquipedalian with impeccable taste. This guy was average intelligence, pretty unhinged, and yeah he was pushed really far. He was indubitably more sympathetic than (most of) his victims. I have to say, and the film is trying to make a statement about austerity and the wealth gap and all that stuff, but I don't think Todd Phillips is perceptive enough to make a coherent movie about that. Fleck's explanation of why he hates humanity towards the end of the film is kind of incoherent (I think) but then again, that's the way a brain damaged individual probably thinks.

As to his relationship with Sophie – I thought, this is a very unusual woman, not to be totally creeped out by this guy. If I found a vaguely creepy, socially awkward guy I barely know following me around I would be totally freaked out, and I wouldn't be sitting there laughing at his cringeworthy performance at a club. Makes sense the whole relationship was make-believe. Also, I didn't catch this, but I read afterward that there are hints he actually killed her and her daughter – the two murders in the film that are totally unwarranted.

I wouldn't be interested in seeing this Joker in a sequel, but the movie on its own, in an alternate universe, was compelling enough.