News Killers of the Flower Moon (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Scorsese & DiCaprio Readying “Flower Moon”

scorsese-dicaprio-readying-flower-moon-696x464.jpg

Once he wraps work on “The Irishman,” filmmaker Martin Scorsese has settled on his immediate next project – the true-crime thriller “Killers of the Flower Moon” which would see him reteam with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Set in the 1920s, the story focuses on a string of murders of members of the Osage nation in Oklahoma after oil was discovered beneath their land. The series of slayings was one of the fledgeling FBI’s first major homicide investigations.

Based on the novel by “The Lost City of Z” author David Grann, Oscar-winning scribe Eric Roth has adapted the script. Scorsese and DiCaprio have been eyeing the project for months and are reportedly developing it together with Imperative Entertainment.

Scorsese’s longtime production designer Dante Ferretti says they hoped to start shooting “Flower Moon” in the spring of next year and preliminary location scouting is about to get underway. Ferretti will prep the film while Scorsese films “The Irishman” starting this September.

Regarding ‘Flower,’ Imperative’s CFO tells the trades: “There are no formal attachments nor confirmed start date at this time.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

0000000.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.

Doctor Omega

Scribe Eric Roth Talks “Dune,” “Flower Moon”

Famed Oscar-winning scribe Eric Roth has worked on over two dozen films in his time from “The Insider” to “Munich,” “Forrest Gump” to “Ali”. He recently came back under the spotlight with the screenplay for Bradley Cooper’s “A Star is Born” remake.

Roth’s also been attached to both Denis Villeneuve’s new adaptation of sci-fi epic “Dune” and Martin Scorsese’s 1920s FBI investigation tale “Killers of the Flower Moon” with Roth having already completed work on the scripts of both. Said scripts are getting re-writes and polishes by both their directors and others, but all will build on Roth’s work.

Speaking with Deadline, Roth was asked what he could discuss about both films and he offered a tease of the approach both filmmakers are taking with the material:

“Dune was a real challenge; Denis Villeneuve brought me on. I had done some little bits of stuff for him for Arrival, and we really love each other personally. I turned in a really long draft, which I think was pretty cumbersome to make within the budget.

I think the ideas were great, and I think they used most of them, but that needed a good look. I think Denis has…brought in another writer to trim it out, and get back to the book in some respects, so I think it’s exciting. The approach to it’s pretty wonderful, and it could be a beautiful movie.

Killers of the Flower Moon, I think, is one of the great stories that one could tell. I think any good writer would do this justice; it’s such a powerful piece, and it’ll be Marty Scorsese basically doing a Western. I would say it would be [filming] late next summer, he’d start [shooting], early fall. I know how much [Scorsese] loves it, and I’m just sending literally this morning the last of this iteration of the script. Then, I’m sure we’ll start rewriting again.

Both films are officially in pre-production and while Leonardo DiCaprio has been attached to ‘Killers,’ there hasn’t been much movement on it. “Dune” on the other hand has been releasing key casting news every day with more roles expected to be announced imminently.

Doctor Omega

The murder investigation that made the FBI- BBC News

In the early 20th Century, the Osage tribe were the richest people per capita in the world. But then the murders began. David Grann, author of Killers of the Flower Moon, describes how the Osage murders investigation led to today's FBI.

Doctor Omega