Review Knock Knock (2017)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
And as a fan of NCS: MANHUNT, POIROT and David Suchet's work in general, I have long anticipated his appearance in DOCTOR WHO. I even imagined what it might be like to have him spend a few years in control of the TARDIS...
You know, I never thought about him, but damn. I would love to see what he would have done with the role.

What a criminal fucking waste of his talents!
So, you've never seen A Perfect Murder? He was quite wasted in that film.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
So, you've never seen A Perfect Murder? He was quite wasted in that film.
I loved A PERFECT MURDER - and the original DIAL M FOR MURDER. However, you can't be the main star in every production. And as talented as David Suchet is, can you ever see someone with the current Hollywood mentality casting him in the main lead of any film?

The only way he'd get his name in the film credits before the main title is if he was playing a major villain, like a Muslim terrorist...

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It's not a bad film at all, and I, too, love the original. But to see a man of his talents relegated to a minor supporting role just breaks my heart.

And as talented as David Suchet is, can you ever see someone with the current Hollywood mentality casting him in the main lead of any film?

The only way he'd get his name in the film credits before the main title is if he was playing a major villain, like a Muslim terrorist...
Alas, this is correct. We'll always have Poirot...

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Bill and her friends had to act like morons, it wouldn't have been a proper horror movie type episode if they hadn't.

This episode wasn't nearly as good as the two before it. I take it David Suchet would be one of your picks as a new Doctor. He looks the part.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Doctor Who's next episode cut a huge reference to a classic series companion

One of the characters in 'Knock Knock' is related to a former TARDIS traveller.

(It's still linking fine here A-M, but here's what it says.... :emoji_alien:)

Doctor Who
fans, here's an amazing Easter Egg for you: one of the characters in this Saturday's episode is related to a classic series companion.

'Knock Knock' sees Bill (Pearl Mackie) and a gang of friends move into a grand manor house that's concealing a very dark secret.

One of her pals – Harry (Colin Ryan) – tells Bill that his grandfather went backpacking in Asia with his boyfriend, and was almost arrested for trying to steal a piece of the Great Wall of China!

But, speaking to Doctor Who Magazine, the episode's writer Mike Bartlett revealed that 'Knock Knock' originally featured a reference to Harry's other grandfather... who is none other than Harry Sullivan.

For the uninitiated, Harry (played by Ian Marter) travelled in the TARDIS with Tom Baker's fourth Doctor in the 1970s.

"It was a reference that I enjoyed hugely, because I love Harry Sullivan," Barlett said. "And housemate Harry has, I think, a similar sort of attitude, of energetic sort of pluck."

Unfortunately, the reference to Harry Sullivan was cut from the final episode. Boo!

We do know a little of what happened to the character after he opted to give up travelling in time and space for a quieter life, though.

In a 2010 episode of Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures, Sarah Jane (Elisabeth Sladen) mentions that Harry continued working as a doctor, saving "thousands of lives" with his vaccines.

You'll have to watch 'Knock Knock' this Saturday at 7.20pm to find out what happens to his grandson, Harry mk.2...

Doctor Who Magazine issue 512 is on sale now.

ant-mac

Bill and her friends had to act like morons, it wouldn't have been a proper horror movie type episode if they hadn't.
Oh, I just thought it was because they're Millennials...
This episode wasn't nearly as good as the two before it. I take it David Suchet would be one of your picks as a new Doctor. He looks the part.
Have you ever seen him play Hercule Poirot?

ant-mac

Doctor Who's next episode cut a huge reference to a classic series companion

One of the characters in 'Knock Knock' is related to a former TARDIS traveller.

(It's still linking fine here A-M, but here's what it says.... :emoji_alien:)

Doctor Who
fans, here's an amazing Easter Egg for you: one of the characters in this Saturday's episode is related to a classic series companion.

'Knock Knock' sees Bill (Pearl Mackie) and a gang of friends move into a grand manor house that's concealing a very dark secret.

One of her pals – Harry (Colin Ryan) – tells Bill that his grandfather went backpacking in Asia with his boyfriend, and was almost arrested for trying to steal a piece of the Great Wall of China!

But, speaking to Doctor Who Magazine, the episode's writer Mike Bartlett revealed that 'Knock Knock' originally featured a reference to Harry's other grandfather... who is none other than Harry Sullivan.

For the uninitiated, Harry (played by Ian Marter) travelled in the TARDIS with Tom Baker's fourth Doctor in the 1970s.

"It was a reference that I enjoyed hugely, because I love Harry Sullivan," Barlett said. "And housemate Harry has, I think, a similar sort of attitude, of energetic sort of pluck."

Unfortunately, the reference to Harry Sullivan was cut from the final episode. Boo!

We do know a little of what happened to the character after he opted to give up travelling in time and space for a quieter life, though.

In a 2010 episode of Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures, Sarah Jane (Elisabeth Sladen) mentions that Harry continued working as a doctor, saving "thousands of lives" with his vaccines.

You'll have to watch 'Knock Knock' this Saturday at 7.20pm to find out what happens to his grandson, Harry mk.2...

Doctor Who Magazine issue 512 is on sale now.
I'm rather surprised it wasn't Harry Sullivan who went backpacking through Asia with his boyfriend.

Considering the current obsession with delving into the nitty-gritty of the personal lives of fictional characters.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
At first I thought it was meant to imply that it was Harry and his boyfriend.

Given that Ian Marter was, sadly, according to Nicholas Courtney, never able to happily reconcile himself to the bisexual aspect of his nature, I am not sure how he would have viewed such a reference. One hopes that he would have found enough peace within himself to have been fine with it - and to have also been flattered at his character being referenced at all.

But I think that they misunderstood the Harry Sullivan legacy anyway.

Harry Sullivan was not, actually, an imbecile.

The Doctor just bellowed that.

It wasn't actually true.

Suddenly his grandson really is one!

I think that they missed the point. :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

ant-mac

I haven't! Is it a TV show?
It is a complete TV show - except for one story - that spans his entire career from his first case to his death. The TV series ran from 1989 through to 2013 in 13 series. David Suchet played him throughout and the same actors - except for one - came back to reprise their roles as on-going characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Suchet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie's_Poirot

David Suchet has written books and appeared in documentaries on the subject of Hercule Poirot.

ant-mac

Did you ever watch that special a few years back where he actually traveled on the real Orient Express? Very interesting, both the man and the subject.
Yes, I was lucky enough to catch it. Actually, I've been fortunate enough to catch him in a few documentaries - and not all of them were related to Hercule Poirot...

DAVID SUCHET: IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ST PAUL.

Gavin

VIP
Have you ever seen him play Hercule Poirot?
David Suchet never "played" Poirot. He was Poirot!

Without a doubt, the finest interpretation of Poirot we've seen (and that doesn't look like it will be changing with the new Murder on the Orient Express movie).

ant-mac

David Suchet never "played" Poirot. He was Poirot!
Yes, David Suchet did for Hercule Poirot what Jeremy Brett did for Sherlock Holmes.
Without a doubt, the finest interpretation of Poirot we've seen (and that doesn't look like it will be changing with the new Murder on the Orient Express movie).
A new film... Really?

Some people don't know when enough is enough.

Gavin

VIP
A new film... Really?
Yes Poirot will be played by Kenneth Branagh and the mustache from hell. Apparently Kenneth's performance will be aimed at making Poirot "younger and more active". As a massive Agatha Christie fan, I wept a little just typing that last sentence.

ant-mac

Yes Poirot will be played by Kenneth Branagh and the mustache from hell. Apparently Kenneth's performance will be aimed at making Poirot "younger and more active". As a massive Agatha Christie fan, I wept a little just typing that last sentence.
I feel your pain.

He is not the first literary figure to suffer from such an ignominious insult.

It appears that ageism is a bias yet to be addressed.

Gavin

VIP
It appears that ageism is a bias yet to be addressed.
One of the reasons I enjoyed Boston Legal. Once they stopped trying to force the pretty young things into the cast and focused on the quality cast they did have, the characters were able to have a fourth wall discussion about the lack of TV shows with older casts - from the perspective of having probably the oldest cast on screen since Golden Girls.