Review Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
agggr.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

A team of scientists explore an uncharted island in the Pacific, venturing into the domain of the mighty Kong, and must fight to escape a primal Eden.

Last edited:

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
It certainly has an interesting premise. I am concerned by suggestions that Kong will be 85 feet tall in this version. Could possibly too large for an emotional response on a par with that of the original. The main problem with a movie of this type is that audiences expect to see a believable Kong, we are not so easily impressed by effects as we once were. When I watch the original, I can appreciate how the audience must have been impressed by Kong. SFX were in their infancy back in 1933 and the audience had little to no reference point for a cinema creation of this type.

I will most probably see this in the cinema since I have a Cineworld membership. Unless reviews are particularly poor.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I am just a huge Kong fan, so will go to see it regardless.
My problem is that I'm "animally challenged" and always want Kong to pull a "Hulk" on them (remember Bruce Banner thwacking TH/Loki back and forth on the concrete slab of Stark's penthouse, just back and forth and back and forth and pounding him senseless on the floor then saying "puny human" as he walks off in another direction.

Watching magnificent creatures get boxed up and trotted out like show ponies for the amusement of mankind just makes me want to go "postal" on everyone involved... in my own desperate search for "Dirty Harry's" (do you feel lucky punk?!) kind of justice. So I'm hoping (blasphemous gal that I am), that this version will break with tradition and leave Kong on the island... alive. But either way, the casting gives me enough reason to believe it won't end up as just another retread/reboot and I'll go for (in no particular order of importance): Tom H., Brie L. , Sam-the-Man Jackson and even John Goodman. I just don't see them choosing a unoriginal but updated story that's been unsuccessfully done to death for years....

All of which probably makes me a "bad human" for rooting for the "nice monkey" ! :emoji_head_bandage: :emoji_fingers_crossed: :emoji_ok_hand:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Just a few days to go now! :emoji_alien:
So Doc. will you please be in charge of reporting back to us? I really do want to go but only if they don't kill Kong (pathetic aren't I?).....
A yeah or nay is all it will take and if you regard that as spoiling, feel free to yeah or nay me in a message. I promise not to leak anything. I just can't watch mankind kill another iconic animal.

Doctor Omega

Well, I finally saw it in IMAX.

Yes, incredibly well made, but - to my mind - still lacking, as I think all of the follow up Kong films ever made have been lacking, that odd dream/nightmare like quality that the 1933 original had in spades. Someone once described it as "a dream put on film".

This one is certainly worth a watch though - and I preferred it to the 2005 remake.

Still love Kong 76 though and this new one has failed to topple that and the original in my affections. I don't think I expected it to.

Doctor Omega

“Kong: Skull Island” Directors Tears Apart Critique

kong-skull-island-imax-poster-keeps-it-simple-696x464.jpg

There’s no question that Honest Trailers has laid the foundation for an entire industry whose main currency is snarky reviews. That said, it comes as little surprise that some of the other videocasts that operate in the same arena pile on the negativity for no real reason beyond just being a downer.

Recently the team over at CinemaSins picked apart director Jordan Vogt-Roberts mostly well received and successful box-office hit “Kong: Skull Island”. Rather than taking it lying down though, the filmmaker is fighting back with a series of tweets critiquing their critique.

The full conversation is on Twitter, here’s the edited highlights:

“I just wanted to point out why these videos are infuriating. They’re often just wrong or think they’re smarter than you. I love film criticism and I love reading negative reviews if the author makes compelling and well-written arguments… I make movies because I love film. These guys are just trolling the art form we love and profiting from it while dumbing the conversation.”

Legendary and Warner Bros.’ Kong: Skull Island” closed off its theatrical run with $566 million worldwide. Here’s the CinemaSins video in question.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island. It was an entertaining two hours. The one issue I did have, I had the same issue with the '76 remake. Why does Kong walk like a human and not an ape?

Doctor Omega

Kong: Skull Island

After famously taking one online movie site to task over their unconstructive criticism (ie. whining), “Kong: Skull Island” director Jordan Vogt-Roberts has participated in the new Honest Trailers episode for his own movie, and doesn’t pull any punches when it comes to criticising his own material.

Check out the episode below.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Just saw this movie yesterday with my thirteen year old son (and now I'm watching Godzilla). It's actually a pretty good movie. Although, as the director points out in the Honest Trailers clip, it's not without its flaws. Too many human characters none of which were properly developed. But as a monster movie, it did everything I expected. Lots of Kong fighting helicopters and other monsters, cool and gruesome deaths of human characters, a giant spider (OK that one I did not expect and spent the rest of the night in terror thinking about). I'm enjoying Godzilla so far and looking forward immensely to Godzilla vs Kong.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Quite possibly it was. I know that Peter Jackson's version included a scene with a range of giant insects as a nod to that scene. That one also freaked me out. I don't like spiders at the best of times. Giant spiders can just go fuck themselves right now.