Review Krypton (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
gaga.jpg

Your thoughts on this series....

The untold story of Superman's grandfather as he fights for justice on his home planet.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
No clue if it's still on the slate. Personally, I can't generate enough interest to watch an entire series based on Krypton. A comic story or episode of another show here or there, sure. It's interesting. But a whole show about Kal-El's granddad seems boring to me. But, if they did get it underway, I might give it a go and be surprised.

Doctor Omega

I remember when I first heard about this show, my immediate thought was that it was just a knee jerk reaction to the success of Gotham, with studio heads running back to the well, to make more money.

To badly quote Jeff Goldblum: They were so intent on whether they could make such a thing that they did not stop to think whether they should.

Perhaps they have now stopped to have a think - and quietly dropped it?

Yes. I thought it was a weak idea too. Not helped by us knowing the fate of Krypton to start with!

chainsaw_metal1

Not helped by us knowing the fate of Krypton to start with!
This is my biggest issue with any prequel. I like getting back stories filled in, but unless you have a really great story, it just feels like filler until the endgame.

My other issue with any prequel is that writers seem to feel the need to fit in as many references to the original product as they can, for their own form of fan service. The STAR WARS films get filled with connections that feel shoehorned and just take you out of the movie. Greedo as a kid in THE PHANTOM MENACE, the Jango/Boba Fett connection to the Clones, and others that I can't think of right now (fighting a headache at the moment). I can already see Supe's grandpa being friends with Zod's father, or seeing a Kryptonian scout ship sending messages back home about some distant planet called Earth, and the exploits of someone named Kent, Lane or Luthor.

Doctor Omega

Yes, it does get dumb as these references multiply.

I hated the fact that Anakin built C3P0, when he was clearly just intended to be just a run of the mill droid that had stumbled into all of these adventures.

Chewie meeting Yoda before Empire.

All that kind of stuff.

Yes, the foreshadowings and references become more incestuous and silly and, as you say, take you right out of the movie - or unasked for prequel tv show.

chainsaw_metal1

I hated the fact that Anakin built C3P0
There was only one good thing about this. It allowed for a very cool story in the STAR WARS TALES comics. The story takes place in Bespin, when stormtroopers show Vader the droid they destroyed. Vader picks up Threepio's head, and reminisces to being a boy with Shmi. He then tells the troops to send the droid to the garbage incinerator. Later, the troops inform Vader that Chewie had collected the pieces to reassemble him. Vader again flashes back to his youth, and eventually tells the troops to let the Wookie have the droid. It's a small, warm moment that is completely out of character for Vader, but still a cool story. But, again, the only good thing to happen from that.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I read a novel a few years back. No idea who wrote it or what it was called. But it told the story of Krypton in the period leading up to its destruction. Jor-el was the main character and the "villain" was Zod (although fairly sympathetically presented with a gradual turn to evil). It was a pretty good story even knowing the ending and I could see it working as a single season tv series. Not an ongoing series though.

Doctor Omega

Syfy Picks Up “Krypton,” “Happy” To Series

NELn43WNo32ZOR_2_b.jpg

Syfy has given series orders to two comic book-based shows – the “Superman” prequel series “Krypton” and gritty noir title “Happy!” with both shows getting full season pick ups.

“Krypton” will follow Superman’s grandfather Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe) – whose House of El was ostracized and shamed – as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

At the same time he has a forbidden affair with Lyta Zod (Georgina Campbell). “Man of Steel” scribe David S. Goyer will executive produce the series and co-wrote the pilot.

Based on the Grant Morrison Image Comics title, “Happy!” stars Christopher Meloni as Nick Sax, a corrupt alcoholoic ex-cop turned hit-man who is adrift in a twilight world of casual murder, soulless sex, eczema and betrayal.

With a hit gone wrong, the cops and the mob on his tail, and a monstrous child killer in a Santa suit on the loose, Nick and his world will be changed forever this Christmas by a tiny blue and eternally optimistic horse called Happy that only he can see.

Morrison and “Crank” co-director Brian Taylor will executive produce and Patrick Macmanus will serve as showrunner.

Syfy has also confirmed plans for a series adaptation of “Game of Thrones” author George R.R. Martin’s 1980 novella “Nightflyers”. In the project a crew of explorers journey on the most advanced ship in the galaxy, The Nightflyer, to intercept a mysterious alien spacecraft that might hold the key to Earth’s survival.

As the crew nears their destination, they discover that the ship’s artificial intelligence and never-seen captain may be steering them into deadly and unspeakable horrors deep in the dark reaches of space. Jeff Buhler (“The Midnight Meat Train”) will write and executive produce the series in which Martin has no involvement.

Source: Syfy

Doctor Omega

“Krypton” Gets A Comic Con 2017 Trailer

krypton-gets-a-comic-con-2017-trailer-696x464.jpg

Syfy has premiered the teaser trailer for “Krypton,” the upcoming DC Comics prequel series which premieres on the network in 2018.

Set two generations before the destruction of Superman’s home planet, the story follows Superman’s grandfather Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe) who fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

As the same time, he engages in a forbidden romance with Lyta Zod (Georgina Campbell). David S. Goyer and Ian Goldberg are executive producing the series.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Doesn't this TV show sort of fall into the same category as STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE or STAR TREK: DISCOVERY?

I mean, we all know how it has to end...

Doctor Omega

Blake Ritson Is Brainiac In “Krypton”

blake-ritson-is-brainiac-in-krypton-696x464.jpg

Following a three year stint as the villain on Starz’s “Da Vinci’s Demons,” actor Blake Ritson has been cast as the villain Brainiac in Syfy’s upcoming Superman prequel series “Krypton”.

In the comics the character is a parasitic, hyper-advanced alien android of immense intelligence and one of Superman’s oldest and most dangerous enemies. It’s unclear if the show will use some of the comics continuity which paints him as a central figure responsible for the destruction of Krypton.

Also joining the cast is “Ray Donovan” actress Paula Malcomson as Charys who is described as the matriarch of House El who helps her son Seg navigate the treacherous pitfalls of Kandor City.

The pair join Cameron Cuffe as Kal-El’s grandfather Seg-El, Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod, Elliot Cowan as Daron-Vex, and Shaun Sipos as Adam Strange.

The story is set two generations before the destruction of Krypton at a time when the House of El was ostracized and shamed. Seg-El fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

David S. Goyer executive produces the series which will premiere next year.

Doctor Omega

“Krypton” Set For March 21st Premiere

krypton-set-for-march-21st-premiere-696x464.jpg

Syfy has announced a March 21st premiere date for “Krypton,” their upcoming Superman prequel spin-off series set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet.

Kal-El’s grandfather Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe), whose House of El was ostracized and shamed, fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

The series also stars Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod along with Elliot Cowan, Ann Ogbomo, Rasmus Hardiker, Wallis Day, Aaron Pierre, Ian McElhinney, and Shaun SIpos.

Doctor Omega

Syfy’s “Krypton” Gets A New Trailer, Poster

syfys-krypton-gets-a-new-trailer-poster-696x464.jpg

Syfy has released a new trailer and poster for “Krypton,” its upcoming Superman prequel series starring Cameron Cuffe as Kal-El’s grandfather Seg-El. Superman’s cape can be briefly seen in the clip.

Set two generations before the destruction of Krypton, the House of El has been ostracized and Krypton’s leadership is in disarray. Seg must redeem his family’s honor and protect the ones he loves while being challenged by familiar DC characters Brainiac (Blake Ritson) and Earthly time-traveler Adam Strange (Shaun Sipos).

“Krypton” will premiere Wednesday, March 21st on Syfy.

BCrwUOw.jpg

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

I'm just not digging the whole Earth time-traveler bit. It's the same issue I had with Smallville, when they utilized the doors from Krypton to Earth. The idea that for years, Kryptonians were just walking back and forth between planets, but when the destruction of the planet happened, they had to send Kal-El to Earth on a rocket. Like, at the first sign of trouble, couldn't everyone just, oh, I don't know walk through the magic doors and get to safety?

Am I overthinking this again?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Am I overthinking this again?
I don't think you're overthinking. You're just thinking. Which is more than the writers of these shows seem to do. It seems like they get an idea that sounds cool and don't bother thinking about how it might affect the story.

Doctor Omega

“Krypton” Reveals Brainiac Look & Ship

krypton-reveals-brainiac-look-ship-696x464.jpg

Best known for the softly voiced but lethal Count Riario on Starz’s “Da Vinci’s Demons,” actor Blake Ritson is re-teaming with that show’s creator David Goyer for his new series “Krypton” which begins next month on Syfy.

His role will be that of iconic Superman supervillain Brainiac. Though human-looking variations of the character and his offspring have popped up in shows such as “Smallville” and “Supergirl,” there’s never been a proper version of the comic incarnation done in live-action form. Until now.

USA Today has published the first photo of Ritson in make-up in character along with a featurette showcasing the character’s involvement and showing off his famed ‘Skull Ship’ from the comics. Ritson, who undergoes a punishing 4.5-7 hours of make-up for the role, describes his take as not unlike that of his work as Riario:

“I’ve played characters who’ve objectively committed monstrous actions, but feel entirely justified, as they’ve acted from a misplaced sense of a noble cause. Generally speaking, people cast themselves as the hero in their own narrative.

Yes, he traverses the universe in a gigantic skull ship, ripping cities out of planets, miniaturizing them and placing them on board. But he does so in the spirit of conservation. In his mind, he’s committed to the ultimate philanthropic act: saving all of creation. In many ways, it’s analogous to Noah plucking out two of every animal to ensure their survival, even while knowing that others must perish.”

“Krypton” is set two centuries before baby Kal-El escapes the explosion of his home planet and is sent to Earth to become Superman. Here his grandfather Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe) is a headstrong young man dealing with the politics of Kandor City and fighting for the honor of the House of El. The show premieres March 21st.

3Dd9fL2.jpg

Doctor Omega

“Krypton” Producer Explains Show’s Point

krypton-producer-explains-shows-point-696x464.jpg

We have ten seasons of “Smallville,” so why does a show like Syfy’s “Krypton” need to exist? After all, a story about Superman’s grandfather and his time on the planet Krypton doesn’t seem like something that would be in high demand.

It’s a question showrunner Cameron Welsh says he understands why people have asked that, but here the opportunity is to look at a world that hasn’t really been explored in the comics or other formats much. He tells Comicbook.com:

“I don’t know if it’s necessarily the same with Gotham, but there’s probably this notion that part of the audience goes, ‘Krypton, I guess that’s the show about the planet that Superman came from and that planet blows up so I kind of know how that story ends. Do I really need to watch this? I’ve lots of other things to do’.

So the way we’ve sought to address that challenge is that in story and this is where, when we talk about DC’s involvement, not only in giving us access to everything we’ve got but Geoff Johns himself has been a part of the show and he’s a brilliant mind and has some brilliant ideas and very early on we talked about exactly that problem, about the prequel concern.

The way we’ve addressed it in story, we have Adam Strange comes from present-day Earth, arrives on Krypton to deliver this warning to Seg to let him know that history as we know it is under threat and somebody is coming to try and change the course of history, change the timeline, and prevent Superman’s birth. The show very quickly goes from being about this look into the past into a show that has stakes in the present day.

We haven’t really seen much of this world before and it’s just this open book and allows us to tell a story that hasn’t been told. There’s still plenty more Superman stories to tell, but there’s already been a ton of those and there will continue to be.

Here’s a fresh opportunity to tell this — to explore a part of the DC universe which is super important, and it’s relatively unexplored. It’s less about not having Superman but more about it being a prequel is something that we’ve discussed as being a challenge that we face.”