Review Logan (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BYzc5MTU4N2EtYTkyMi00NjdhLTg3NWEtMTY4OTEyMzJhZTAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X, somewhere on the Mexican border. However, Logan's attempts to hide from the world, and his legacy, are upended when a young mutant arrives, pursued by dark forces.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think it looks amazing, and I hate that I'm getting my hopes up. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE had such promise. There were moments taken directly from the ORIGIN comic story, but they condense that into a couple of minutes, and throw much of it out. Deadpool was misused, Sabertooth was horrible (I love Liev's performance, just not as that character), and it becomes a terrible mess. THE WOLVERINE was brilliant - up until the last fifteen minutes when they fuck up Silver Samurai. So yeah, I really can't wait for this, and I really want it to be great (we finally get X-23). Please, Fox, don't mess this up!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Give me a quick spoiler free review please.
I just watched it last night, and it is incredible. After a shitty Wolverine movie and a good Wolverine movie with a shitty ending, this is just about perfect. It certainly earns its R rating, because the violence and language have been kicked up, but it isn't done in a cartoonish way or done simply to add them. Everything that is there works and is necessary in the film. The acting is excellent. Jackman gives an Oscar worthy performance, which means he won't get any accolades because of the film. Stewart is incredible, and at times hilarious. Dafne Keen is perfect as Laura, and for this being her first feature film, proves that she has a huge future in this. If you love the character of Logan, you will love this film.

Doctor Omega

X-23 Won’t Cameo In Other “X-Men” Films

x-23-wont-cameo-in-other-x-men-films-696x464.jpg

“Logan” scene stealer Dafne Keen, who plays Laura/X-23 in the final outing of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine character, was such a fan favorite that it came as little shock there was talk of her continuing with the franchise.

However, producer Hutch Parker tells IGN this week that current conversations regarding more screen time with Laura are leaning more towards a solo adventure as opposed to fitting her into one of the already planned other spin-off films like “The New Mutants”. Parker says:

“Yeah, I mean, look — I don’t know definitively, but in terms of the stuff we’ve been talking about, it’s not sort of slipping her into the background of another movie. It’s looking at that character, which is a great character and has a pretty interesting run within the comics, to find a story that we think she could carry or certainly be kind of majorly significant within.

That’s the only kind of thing that Jim [Mangold, director] as a storyteller, a filmmaker… that’s the way his sort of process works. And the way his mind works in terms of what he would aspire to. Which isn’t to say that the studio couldn’t have a conversation about something else, but the one that we’ve been kind of discussing loosely and kicking around is more likely to be its own film.”

This would certainly suggest a post-“Logan” set story and if so, could she eventually become a part of the main saga as the next few films, bar ‘Dark Phoenix,’ are in contemporary/near future times as well?

Josh Boone’s “The New Mutants” is the next film in the franchise which Omega Underground reported earlier today had both Blu Hunt (“The Originals”) and True O’Brien (“Queen Sugar”) under consideration for the role of Mirage.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Finally saw it.

Meh.

Maybe i heard to much hype and my expectations were too high. It was okay.

Every time a hulk-like tattooed special ops guy was stabbed in the head, I just kept thinking... where are they finding these henchmen who are willing to hunt down children (no questions asked) and get slaughtered every five minutes like they're coming off a conveyor belt into an abattoir.

That in turn made me think of the joke in Austin powers where the henchmen's family and friends respond to the news of the henchman's death.

LOL.

Doctor Omega

Ethan Hawke Talks “Logan,” Festivals & More

an-x-23-logan-spin-off-is-being-discussed-696x464.jpg

Going by critical aggregate sites, James Mangold’s “Logan” is not only one of the best superhero films of the past few years but also one of the best overall films of last year. Shot for $97 million and grossing over $600 million worldwide even with an R rating, it was seen as a major success on all fronts.

Certainly much of the praise for the film is due to its avoiding the all too familiar template of most superhero films, skipping many of the large-scale action sequences and attempts at four-quadrant appeal in favour of a grim, adult character study more akin to a western.

One person who wasn’t a major fan though was actor Ethan Hawke. Hawke has become a champion of independent film in recent years, and has scored rave notices for his work in “First Reformed” this year. In a recent interview with The Film Stage he discussed the importance of film festivals. During the talk his opinion of “Logan” came up, a film that despite its more artistic pedigree he still sees as very much a studio film and a product of big business concerns:

“Now we have the problem that they tell us Logan is a great movie. Well, it’s a great superhero movie. It still involves people in tights with metal coming out of their hands. It’s not Bresson. It’s not Bergman. But they talk about it like it is.

I went to see Logan cause everyone was like: ‘This is a great movie’ and I was like, ‘Really?’. No, this is a fine superhero movie. There’s a difference but big business doesn’t think there’s a difference. Big business wants you to think that this is a great film because they wanna make money off of it.”

While indie films have to fight for financial success and awareness, studio genre films are more often finding themselves dealing with the issue of a lack of recognition and respect – especially amongst cinephiles. It’s an interesting interview piece as Hawke also goes into the increasingly common issue of how good smaller films get lost in the cracks amidst today’s overabundance of entertainment options:

“I’m always astonished, I’m sure you are too, you can go on Apple TV now and see that Joaquin Phoenix and Gwyneth Paltrow made a movie together that I never heard of. What? And like, Matt Damon’s in a Clint Eastwood movie I never heard of? So many things get lost in the cracks and if those big names are getting lost, where are the Gattacas of right now?

It might be like other art forms where it might take 50 years to curate what’s happening right now. That’s why film festivals have become so important because you guys at film festivals are like curators of, like, what does the world need to be paying attention to. What should be seen? If we didn’t have these festivals, big business would crush all these smaller movies.”

The full interview can be read at The Film Stage.

Doctor Omega

Patrick Stewart used this film as the basis for his return as Picard, in terms of where the hero was at in his life. Which wasn't a very positive place, and starkly betrayed the bright future of TNG.

I liked this film until then. :emoji_disappointed: