Review Lost Cinema

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
movie.jpg

A thread dedicated to completely lost cinema, rare deleted scenes, alternative takes and director's cuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
In a parallel universe, the Stoltz version of Back to the Future is a movie that flopped but has a cult following.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Very interesting.

I would love to see the original spider pit scene from King Kong..

.... but suspect that it might prove disappointing.

I can see why they replaced Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future. Judging by his other work, a good dramatic actor, but lacking the lightness of touch that Michael J. Fox brought to the trilogy.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
That's the problem with old movies, so much was lost/destroyed.
I have 3 versions of Metropolis, because they kept finding new footage.

I have always wondered what Back to the Future would be like with Stoltz.
Freaks (1932)! About 90 minutes were cut and will probably never resurface.
It's a miriacle we can even see this film today.

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
The lost scenes from The Wizard of Oz (1939). The only surviving deleted scene is the extended version of the Scarecrow's song. It would be cool to see some of the other scenes that were cut. Too bad there wasn't a market for that kind of thing back then.

The Seeker

The DVD has an interview with a film historian who tells us what was cut.
For one thing, Hercules' something was snipped and he wound up singing soprano for the circus. There were lots of scenes with a drunk Madame Tetrellini. And Hans was active in mutilating Cleopatra.
The last scene was obviously an add-on, as well as the written prologue.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Crikey! Those are very specific nasties to have written in the first place, aren't they? The first might have caused problems in censorship, the second seems superfluous to requirements and the third I took as implied and maybe didn't need to see on screen. Not that what remains is in anyway softened by those cuts, because what exists is powerful in its own right. Years since I've seen it, but it kind of stays with you...

Doctor Omega

Superman (1978) is having something put back in......

Donner’s “Superman” Gets Extended On Blu-ray

donners-superman-gets-extended-on-blu-ray-696x464.jpg

Warner Brothers Archive Collection has announced plans to release the full 188-minute extended version of Richard Donner’s iconic 1978 “Superman” film.

First premiering on ABC TV in 1982 and then on KCOP in 1994, the new cut boasts footage not seen in either the 143-minute theatrical release or the 151-minute official director’s cut of the film.

Originally dubbed the ‘Salkind International Extended Cut’ and later the ‘KCOP Version’, the extended version contains footage and music not used in the theatrical version and more material than the 2000 restoration, including extensions of the destruction of Krypton, Smallville, Fortress of Solitude, Daily Planet and earthquake scenes.

There’s no set release date yet, but it’s expected to arrive on Blu-ray by the end of the year and will include Donner’s final cut of the movie as well.

Doctor Omega

THE SHINING

Post-release edit

77d2d447a4829f3413721e4b1b83cdf945d77b7b9beea674ed6a68e7cd53df16.jpg

After its premiere and a week into the general run (with a running time of 146 minutes), Kubrick cut a scene at the end that took place in a hospital. The scene shows Wendy in a bed talking with Mr. Ullman who explains that Jack's body could not be found; he then gives Danny a yellow tennis ball, presumably the same one that Jack was throwing around the hotel. This scene was subsequently physically cut out of prints by projectionists and sent back to the studio by order of Warner Bros., the film's distributor. This cut the film's running time to 144 minutes. As noted by Roger Ebert:
If Jack did indeed freeze to death in the labyrinth, of course his body was found – and sooner rather than later, since Dick Hallorann alerted the forest rangers to serious trouble at the hotel. If Jack's body was not found, what happened to it? Was it never there? Was it absorbed into the past and does that explain Jack's presence in that final photograph of a group of hotel party-goers in 1921? Did Jack's violent pursuit of his wife and child exist entirely in Wendy's imagination, or Danny's, or theirs? ... Kubrick was wise to remove that epilogue. It pulled one rug too many out from under the story. At some level, it is necessary for us to believe the three members of the Torrance family are actually residents in the hotel during that winter, whatever happens or whatever they think happens.

Doctor Omega

Bristol Slapstick Festival to show lost Stan Laurel scene

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-42804892

_99744177_ef17d817-18ef-4556-a353-acef9026c3dc.jpg

Lost scenes from a film starring comedian Stan Laurel have been found in a Dutch archive and are to be screened for the first time in the UK.

The sequences from Detained, made in 1924, were found by an archivist in the Netherlands and will be shown at Bristol's Slapstick Festival.

Jurjen Enzing, from the Friesian Film Archive, said it was "exciting" to stumble on something "so special".

The film will feature at the festival's Lost and Found event, on Friday.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Freaks (1932)! About 90 minutes were cut and will probably never resurface.
Has anyone ever read the short story "Spurs", upon which the movie is based on? It's very different, and Hans is much less sympathetic. A professor of mine gave me a collection of horror short stories in college, and it's definitely worth the read.

The Seeker

Has anyone ever read the short story "Spurs", upon which the movie is based on? It's very different, and Hans is much less sympathetic. A professor of mine gave me a collection of horror short stories in college, and it's definitely worth the read.
I read it! Boy the movie would have been different if they’d followed the story. No one was real sympathetic, besides the oblivious strongman. (At least how I remember it.)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I read it! Boy the movie would have been different if they’d followed the story. No one was real sympathetic, besides the oblivious strongman. (At least how I remember it.)
Indeed. While the movie makes Hans out to be a tragic protagonist, the story shows he's just as horrible as the would be gold digger. Not that she doesn't have her fate coming to her, but it's honestly one of those great twist of fate stories.

Doctor Omega

Austrian Film Foretelling Nazism Discovered in Paris Flea Market 90 Years After Disappearance

"The City Without Jews," an Austrian silent film that premiered in 1924 and arguably foretold Nazi persecution that led to the Holocaust, will be aired in autumn 2017 in Vienna after having been lost for over 90 years, according to The Guardian. The movie, based on a novel by Jewish publicist Hugo Bettauer, tells of a city in economic ruin after World War I whose politicians demand the expulsion of the local Jewish population, only to watch the city decline further in their absence. Bettauer was murdered by a Nazi after the film's release and the original footage disappeared during World War II, only recently resurfacing by chance at a flea market in Paris. Now the film is scheduled to be digitally restored and aired with a new live score thanks to an unprecedented crowdfunding campaign by the Austrian Film Archive. The campaign raised nearly $80,000 days before its deadline, making it the most successful crowdfunding attempt ever in Austria's culture sector. A spokesman for the Austrian Film Archive told the Guardian that the campaign had benefitted from a major donation from an anonymous American-Jewish foundation after Donald Trump's successful presidential campaign, adding that the number of donations had doubled since a far-right candidate unsuccessfully ran for Austria's presidency. "The message we want to send out is that this is not just a film about the past, but an anti-Nazi statement," Nikolaus Wostry, director of collections at the Austrian Film Archive said. Archivists had discovered a damaged version of the film at the Dutch film museum in 1991 and suspected that the film had also been deliberately tampered with for censorship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43569919

The City Without Jews 1924