Review Lost in Space (1965)

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
Several years ago, around Xmas time, Amazon.com put the first season DVD set on sale so I bought it. Up through episode #17 "The Keeper: Part 2, it's a pretty solid, if juvenile, sci-fi series. But after that the camp quotient jumps with episodes like "The Sky Pirate" and "The Space Croppers". Still the latter half of the season it wasn't all bad, the finale "Follow the Leader" was excellent. However, I didn't buy any of the later seasons.

Other thoughts - Marta Kristen was a babe!

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
One of my favourites from childhood and still to this day I love the sound of The Jupiter's engines as it reaches light speed (They borrowed it for Planet of The Apes (1968) and The Time Tunnel)I adored Dr.Smith and his outrageous plans to return to earth each and every week despite what that might do to The Robinsons! The Robot and Smith arguing was another highlight too!
JB

johnnybear

Yes I've heard about the reboot before, with Dr.Smith now being a woman as played by Parker Posey! Don't think I'll bother because this type of thing just annoys me!
JB

johnnybear

I've been watching Lost in Space with my son on Horror recently! When it started he hated it but after many attempts by myself to 'educate' him, he's finally seen the light and is now a fan! Sadly the series has only got eight episodes left before it gets replaced by Seaquest!
JB

Simian Jack

Member: Rank 1
i winder how this plays to kids today. I was watching it at the age of three on a black and white set during the Apollo Space Program. So young that the camp of later seasons went right over my head, I though the whole things was serious!

How I loved those classic designs of the Robot and J2. Looking back, I think part of what hooked me was the concept of the spaceship being a family home. Home is a powerful thing for small kids, so the idea that your house could fly through space and land on other planets is great fantasy fuel.

The show gets a rap for being way too silly, but those first six to twelve eps are pretty dark for 'family entertainment' what with the Robinson kids marked for cold-blooded murder by Smith and the robot.

That robot suit was lent out around the country for promotions. Some genius in California was selling TVs with "a picture so clear it comes to life in your living room!" He was standing next to a TV playing a shot from Lost in Space with the root waving it's arms. There's a trick edit, and suddenly the robot is standing right next to him still waving its arms. Scared the shit out of me as a three-year-old, cuz I knew that when the robot waved it's arms like that it was trying to kill the family. So, wait, now it can pop out of the freakin' TV?? I couldn't give up the show but every time the robot cam onscreen I had to hide behind the furniture lest it see me watching and pop out of the TV to kill me.

I was smart though. I started working my way around to the back of the TV instead. Figured if the robot popped out, he'd be facing the other way so I'd have a running chance.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
i winder how this plays to kids today. I was watching it at the age of three on a black and white set during the Apollo Space Program. So young that the camp of later seasons went right over my head, I though the whole things was serious!

How I loved those classic designs of the Robot and J2. Looking back, I think part of what hooked me was the concept of the spaceship being a family home. Home is a powerful thing for small kids, so the idea that your house could fly through space and land on other planets is great fantasy fuel.

The show gets a rap for being way too silly, but those first six to twelve eps are pretty dark for 'family entertainment' what with the Robinson kids marked for cold-blooded murder by Smith and the robot.

That robot suit was lent out around the country for promotions. Some genius in California was selling TVs with "a picture so clear it comes to life in your living room!" He was standing next to a TV playing a shot from Lost in Space with the root waving it's arms. There's a trick edit, and suddenly the robot is standing right next to him still waving its arms. Scared the shit out of me as a three-year-old, cuz I knew that when the robot waved it's arms like that it was trying to kill the family. So, wait, now it can pop out of the freakin' TV?? I couldn't give up the show but every time the robot cam onscreen I had to hide behind the furniture lest it see me watching and pop out of the TV to kill me.

I was smart though. I started working my way around to the back of the TV instead. Figured if the robot popped out, he'd be facing the other way so I'd have a running chance.
Hi there, I remember you from.the Sages UFO run.
Welcome aboard, a fellow Blakes7 fan I think.
Look forward to your reviews.
The robot in Lost in Space was IMO not only the best thing about the show, but one of the great robotic creations of TV history.
My favorites in robotic terms are , K9, Marvin the Paranoid Android and Robot from LIS.
Imagine a show with these three in it, the mind boggles!

Simian Jack

Member: Rank 1
My favorites in robotic terms are , K9, Marvin the Paranoid Android and Robot from LIS.
Imagine a show with these three in it, the mind boggles!
LOL! I'd love to se Marvin and C3PO arguing.

I've got a soft spot for a lot of robots, but Robby and LIS' Robot are right at the top. The visual designs are genius.

Good to se you again! I very much want to rejoin the Sages after circumstances forced me to bow out, Blake's 7 and Star Cops are a perfect place to step back in. Things are still up in the air, so I can't be sure I'll make it on time each week.

johnnybear

Lost in Space was one of those shows that made you rush home on a Thursday afternoon! Or Monday and Thursday where I was because we had two ITVs! :emoji_laughing:
JB