Review Magazines

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
At the moment, anything that relates to food... Have several subscriptions...

1. Food Network magazine
2. HGTV magazine
3. Weight Watchers
4. Cooking Light
5. Women's Day
6. Better Homes & Gardens

I used to read the gossip rags like People, Us Weekly, & In Touch, but I realized that they're a waste of money.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I used to read Metal Hammer and SFX(they always had a tendency to cover part of the F, so it looked like you were reading a magazine called SEX).
I don't really read magazines anymore more.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I read Starlog growing up, and Doctor Who Magazine when I could get it. like @High Plains Drifter , I also read Metal Edge and Hit Parader, as well as Circus, until it went more mainstream and stopped covering metal bands. Guitar, Guitar Player, and Guitar School were big ones when I was starting out playing. I still occasionally read Fangoria, and have been known to real Gourmet and Bon Appetit. And I still have a handful of collectible Playboys. I also read Wizard every now and them. And I used to read Rolling Stone before it started to suck.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I love reading magazines. I just like sitting down, kicking back, and reading. There's something about reading a piece of paper over looking at tablet any day. Maybe it's the texture or smell, but computers just don't come close. I just hate walking into any store and seeing the magazine isle getting smaller. Sadly, Wallyworld still has a nice selection, and if I want to waste the gas and drive Barnes and Noble.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Starburst is a British science fiction magazine published by Starburst Publishing Limited. The magazine is published monthly, with additional news and reviews being published daily on the website.

Starburst was launched in December 1977 by editor Dez Skinn with his own company Starburst Publishing Ltd. The name Starburst was settled on after rejecting other names, including Starfall, as Skinn considered it too negative.

Starburst
was then purchased by Marvel for publication of issue 4 onwards, as part of deal whereby Skin was put in charge of the UK comic reprints division.

Marvel eventually put the title up for sale and it was bought by Visual Imagination and published by them from issue 88 (1985).

Starburst's review sections were edited by writers and reviewers such as Alan Jones (films) and David J. Howe (books), and, for several years, the magazine also carried a column by the writer John Brosnan. Its television review column, "TV Zone", was used as the title of its sister publication TV Zone.

The magazine's publication was put on hold due to Visual Imagination folding in early 2009, having reached issue #365. An online only version of the magazine existed following this closure. It returned to print by Starburst Magazine Ltd in February 2012 with issue #374.

And it's still going to this day...

Anybody have memories of this long running magazine?

Doctor Omega

Famous Monsters of Filmland was an American genre-specific film magazine, started in 1958 by publisher James Warren and editor Forrest J Ackerman.

1958–1983
Famous Monsters of Filmland was originally conceived as a one-shot publication by Warren and Ackerman, published in the wake of the widespread success of the package of old horror movies syndicated to American television in 1957. But the first issue, published in February 1958, was so successful that it required a second
printing to fulfill public demand.

Its future as part of American culture was immediately obvious to both men.

FM offered brief articles, well-illustrated with publicity stills and graphic artwork, on horror movies from the silent era to the current date of publication, their stars and filmmakers. Warren and Ackerman decided to aim the text at late pre-adolescents and young teenagers.

In the pages of FM, Forrest J Ackerman promoted the memory of Lon Chaney, Sr., whose silent works were mostly beyond the accessibility of fans for most of the magazine's life, but were a great influence on his own childhood. He also introduced film fans to science fiction fandom through direct references, first-person experiences, and adoption of fandom terms and customs.

The magazine regularly published photos from King Kong (1933), including one from the film's infamous "spider pit sequence", featured in Issue #108 (1974) which, until Ackerman discovered a photo of a spider in the cavern setting, had never been proven definitively to have actually been filmed.

FM's peak years were from its first issues through the late 1960s, when the disappearance of the older films from television and the decline of talent in the imaginative film industry left it with a dearth of subject matter acceptable to both editor and fan.

During the 1970s, the magazine came to rely heavily on reprints of articles from the 1960s.

In the early 1980s, the magazine folded after Warren became ill and unable to carry on as publisher, and Ackerman resigned as editor in the face of the increasing disorganization within the captainless Warren Publishing Company. The magazine stopped publication in 1983 after a run of 191 issues.

Revival (1993–2008)
Famous Monsters of Filmland was resurrected in 1993 by New Jersey portrait photographer and monster movie fan Ray Ferry. After finding that the Famous Monsters of Filmland title had not been "maintained" under law, Ferry filed for "intent to use" for the magazine's trademark, unbeknownst to Ackerman or the trademark's owner and creator, Jim Warren.[citation needed] Ferry, poised to restart publication of FM on a quarterly basis, offered Ackerman the position of editor-in-chief for a fee of $2,500 per issue, which he accepted. Starting at issue #200, the new Famous Monsters acquired subscribers and over-the-counter buyers who believed they would be reunited with Ackerman in print. While Ferry tried to maintain Ackerman's style in his own writings, he heavily edited and rejected contributions from the man himself.

In an effort to help Ferry finance his full-time efforts on behalf of FM, Ackerman agreed to a reduced editor's fee of $1,500 per issue. With four consecutive unpaid issues and a continued rejection of his work, Ackerman resigned from his position. Aside from removing Ackerman's name from the masthead, Ferry did not inform FM readers that they were no longer reading material by, or authorized by, Ackerman.[citation needed] Instead, Ferry infused his writing with Ackerman's trademark puns, and mimicked his writing style, which led to legal action brought forth by Ackerman.

Libel lawsuit
In 1997, Ackerman filed a civil lawsuit against Ferry for libel, breach of contract, and misrepresentation; Ferry had publicly claimed that Ackerman’s only connection with the new FM was as a hired hand and that Ferry “had to let Forry go” because he was no longer writing or editing for the magazine. Ferry also claimed rights to pen names and other personal properties of Ackerman. On May 11, 2000, the Los Angeles Superior Court jury decided in Ackerman's favor and awarded him $382,500 in compensatory damages and $342,000 in punitive damages.[8][9] This verdict was appealed by Ferry, but the verdict was upheld by the Appellate Court of California, on November 12, 2002.[10] With judgments in Ackerman's favor, Ferry filed for bankruptcy. This is detailed in Jason V Brock's definitive documentary on Forrest J Ackerman, The AckerMonster Chronicles!.

As of mid-2007, Ferry had been allowed to continue to publish issues of FM due to lack of efforts on the part of bankruptcy trustees and Ackerman's lawyers to force the sale of the trademark or personal assets attached to his income. Ferry had also failed to pay any of the $720,000-plus cash judgment against him.

2008 to present
In late 2007, Philip Kim, an entrepreneur and a private equity investor, purchased the rights to the logo and title, entering into an agreement with Ackerman to use his trademarks to retain the magazine’s original look and feel. The new Famous Monsters of Filmland website was launched in May 2008 and on December 7, 2009, Kim announced the magazine's return to print.

Ackerman died just before midnight on Thursday, December 4, 2008.

The revival of the classic horror magazine came in July 2010, with the publication of Famous Monsters of Filmland #251 at the Famous Monster Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana. The success of the print magazine at the Famous Monster Convention and Comic-Con International in San Diego yielded the announcement of the magazine's expansion in distribution and circulation into major bookstore chains and independent retailers throughout North America and select markets in the US, Canada, and UK. Publisher Movieland Classics, LLC announced concurrently that the magazine would be entering into a bi-monthly publication schedule to meet the significant increase in requests from captivated readers beginning with Issue #253. As executive editor of the magazine, Ed Blair steered FM starting with Issue #256 in 2011 through issue #282 in 2015, which saw the transition of editorial leadership go to current executive editor David Weiner, a 13-year veteran of the syndicated television program Entertainment Tonight.

Doctor Omega

The Horror of Dracula and Twins of Evil adaptions were reprinted on better quality paper in this hardback annual, which might be easier to track down....

Some, but not all, of the pages of the strip were in colour in this reprint too....

Doctor Omega

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Fortean Times is a British monthly magazine devoted to the anomalous phenomena popularised by Charles Fort. Previously published by John Brown Publishing (from 1991 to 2001) and then I Feel Good Publishing (2001 to 2005), it is now published by Dennis Publishing Ltd.

In December 2015 its print circulation was just under 14,000 copies per month. This does not include digital sales. The magazine's tagline is "The World of Strange Phenomena".

Praise and criticism
Most of the articles in Fortean Times are written in the style of objective journalism, but this is not a mandatory requirement and some articles focus on a specific theory or point of view. Although such articles are presented as the opinion of the author and not the editors (who claim to have no opinions), this has occasionally led to controversy. One of the most famous examples occurred in January 1997, when the magazine ran an article by David Percy under the headline "FAKE! Did NASA hoax the moon landing photos?". The article outraged many readers and led to the magazine's "most vigorous postbag" up to that time. If the Percy article upset the "skeptics" among FT's readership, it was the turn of the "believers" in August 2000, when the magazine's cover boasted what must have seemed to them at first sight a very promising headline: "UFO? The shocking truth about the first flying saucers". However, the article in question, by James Easton, proposed an extremely mundane explanation for Kenneth Arnold's sightingAmerican white pelicans. This suggestion so outraged ufologists that many of them still use the term "pelican" or "pelicanist" as a pejorative term for a debunker.[20]

Most Fortean researchers contribute articles, criticism and/or letters to the magazine. It has also attracted more widespread coverage and praise at times, however. Fortean Times#69 claims that "extracts from FT have featured in at least three publications used for teaching English as a foreign language," perhaps in part because (as the editors also quote) Lynn Barber of The Independent on Sunday newspaper calls FT "a model of elegant English."

UnConvention
The magazine has organised an "UnConvention" (or UnCon), most years since 1994 (the "missing" years being 2001, 2005 and 2009), at various venues in London (the University of London Union, the Institute of Education, the Commonwealth Institute and, in recent years, the London Friends Meeting House). Many "hot topics" of the day have been discussed, such as the Ray Santilli "alien autopsy" film at the 1996 UnCon, and the death of Diana, Princess of Wales at the 1998 event. On other occasions the organisers are well ahead of the trend, as was the case in 1998 when Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince discussed Templar conspiracies and hidden symbolism in the paintings of Leonardo da Vinci years before these were turned into mass media subjects by The Da Vinci Code. Besides the formal lecture programme, UnCon normally features exhibits by organisations such as the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena and the Centre for Fortean Zoology. The event often ends with a panel discussion, as was notoriously the case in 2002 when the subject was "Is Ufology Dead?". This was widely reported in the British media as an "official" statement by Fortean Times that " Ufology is Dead".