Review Marvel Comics

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Night Raven is a fictional superhero appearing primarily in Marvel UK Comics, a division of Marvel Comics.

Night Raven first appeared in Hulk Comic #1 (March 7, 1979).

Originally created by editors Dez Skinn and Richard Burton, the early Night Raven stories were written by Steve Parkhouse with art by David Lloyd. Dez Skinn's immediate superior, Stan Lee, did not like David Lloyd's "blocky" artwork and John Bolton became Lloyd's replacement artist towards the end of the strip's initial run. The original Night Raven strip was greatly influenced by the pulp characters of the 1930s (the time period in which the strip was set), especially The Shadow and The Spider.

Night Raven was one of the few original characters created for Marvel UK in the 1980s, and quickly became a fan favorite. During the decade, Night Raven appeared in various Marvel UK titles, including a run of text stories beginning in Marvel Superheroes (#382-386) by Alan McKenzie and continued in The Daredevils (#6-11) by Alan Moore and Jamie Delano. His period setting was gradually moved from the 1930s up to contemporary times by the plot device of having him rendered apparently immortal and indestructible but in constant pain and gradually losing his sanity as a result, due to the machinations of his equally immortal arch foe, the Oriental female crime lord Yi Yang.

In the 1990s the character had only a handful of appearances, most prominent of which was a graphic novel, Night Raven: House of Cards. The character's first American appearance was in a supporting role in the graphic novel Fury/Black Widow: Death Duty. In Death Duty, it is revealed that he is unable to die.

Night Raven's immortality was contradicted later in the 1995 Marvel US miniseries Nocturne, in which it was revealed that the original Night Raven had died after being poisoned in the 1950s. One of his last acts was to create a battlesuit which was later donned by Graham "Gray" Poldark to become a new hero known as Nocturne. It has since been confirmed that the Nocturne story did not take place in the main Marvel comics reality.

Night Raven is glimpsed in the first issue of the The Twelve, where he is one of many costumed heroes pictured in Berlin in a scene dated April 25, 1945.

He plays no part in the subsequent story and it is unclear whether or not the creators realized that this would appear to contradict the character's existing continuity.

Upon first appearance, Night Raven had no powers, but was a highly trained fighter and marksman who wielded two guns. He was exposed to a chemical toxin by Yi Yang, which made him nearly indestructible, but deformed him and left him with chronic pain. He has a reputation for immortality, but this is unclear.

David Lloyd comic artist of V for Vendetta and co-creator, explains that the actual idea to start the series came from the character Night Raven.A Marvel UK character. Dez skinn, the editor of WARRIOR magazine, which V first appeared in back in the 1980s, asked for a character similar to Night Raven,that is a masked vigilante. A character they had all previously worked on before, for Marvel UK.

So no "Night Raven" = no "V for Vendetta"

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Six hours ago, Stan Lee was honoured by Hollywood, putting his hands in wet cement on the Walk of Fame.

About bloody time.

What a shame they couldn't have done this a little sooner, so he could have shared this milestone with his wife - before she died.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I've aways perferred DC to Marvel. Which causes some conflict with my 13yo son who's a Marvel fan. He's always coming up to me to give me reasons why the Avengers would beat the Justice League. At which point I (obviously) prove him wrong by pointing out that Batman is in the Justice League and therefore the JL wins every time :emoji_alien:

As far as Marvel goes my favourite (and the only title I ever purchased on a regular basis) is the Fantastic Four. So imagine my disappointment, in the era when Marvel movies reign supreme, that I've yet to see a good FF movie :emoji_frowning2:. As for villains it's impossible to go past Doctor Doom.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I had to laugh. When talking about Perelman, there's a caption on the screen that says he loves Donald Trump. Ironic that he drove Marvel bankrupt over bad business practices.

And yes, we should remember that the worst thing to come out of the 90s was Rob Liefeld.