Review Marvel Comics

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
portrait_uncanny.jpg

THE FIRST COMIC BOOK STAN LEE EVER WROTE FOR......

Marshaling his childhood ambition to be a writer, young Stanley Lieber made his comic-book debut with the text filler "Captain America Foils the Traitor's Revenge" in Captain America Comics #3 (cover-dated May 1941), using the pseudonym Stan Lee, which years later he would adopt as his legal name.

Screen+Shot+60.png

Doctor Omega

I used to see a fair few of these "HUMAN FLY" comics kicking about when I was a kid. The tagline: "Because he's real!" used to intrigue me, and I wondered what the story was behind that....

So, without further ado, I shall now finally investigate....

Back in two ticks.....

Doctor Omega

The Human Fly is the name of two fictional characters appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. One is a super-villain that was an occasional antagonist of Spider-Man, and the other a superhero. Additionally, Human Fly was the title of a short-lived series in the late 1950s reprinting some of Fox's Blue Beetle strips from the 1940s. It was published by Super Comics.

The second Human Fly was a young man of unknown identity who was severely injured during a car crash. After a long hospitalization, including a number of reconstructive surgeries in which much of his skeleton was replaced by steel, he took on the masked identity of the Human Fly. As the Human Fly, he performed daredevil stunts to benefit various charities, especially those helping children with disabilities.
His activities often drew him into conflict with criminals, who were often seeking to rob the charity events at which he performed. Additionally, he drew the attention of Spider-Man, who thought he might be the villain of the same name.
The character was based on real-life stuntman Rick Rojatt. The comic book carried the tag line "The Wildest Super-Hero Ever – Because He's Real!", and photographs of someone in a Human Fly costume appeared in the books. Jim Shooter, a high-ranking member of Marvel's editorial staff at the time of publication, said in 2007 that the photos were indeed of Rojatt.

A SATIRICAL PIECE ON THE HUMAN FLY......

https://web.archive.org/web/2008072.../10/classic-gone-and-forgotten-human-fly.html

Doctor Omega

The Human Fly - daredevil Rick Rojatt, 1976: CBC Archives | CBC

In this clip from 1976, Canadian daredevil Rick Rojatt talks about being The Human Fly, which became the inspiration for a Marvel Comics character. He also talks about his rival - American daredevil Evel Knievel.

Doctor Omega

Some covers just stick in your mind.....

I so wanted this when I saw it endlessly advertised in other titles.......

I still haven't read it. :emoji_head_bandage:

1108417.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

gozrsyygzrmhf4datzws.jpg

Comicbook.com reports that Marvel Comics today announced Spider-Man: Life Story, a new six-issue miniseries set to launch in spring 2019. Written by Chip Zdarsky (who recently concluded a truly remarkable run on Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man) and with art from Amazing and Ultimate Spider-Man’s Mark Bagley, Spider-Man: Life Story has a simple premise:

Peter Parker became a superhero in 1962. What if we followed his entire life over six decades, as he grew up as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in an ever-changing, ever-growing world?

Not only will Life Story examine the act of Peter growing older over the course of its run, it won’t keep his exploits contained to the street-level superhero fights you might expect. The first issue, set in 1966, will see a young Peter tackle a grave test of his commitment to great power and great responsibility, as he wrestles with the United States entering the turmoil of the Vietnam War. The opportunity to watch a version of Peter Parker evolve and grow over such an extended period, while the world around him—along with the very idea of heroes and villains itself—grows ever more involved and complex, is almost unbearably promising, especially since it’ll be explored by two of the most exciting creative talents in recent Spidey history.

Spider-Man: Life Story #1 is set to hit shelves in March 2019.

Doctor Omega

comics-thumbnail.jpeg

The only thing I never liked about USA comics, particularly Marvel, were just how many damn pages of adverts there were. Only seventeen pages of actual story in a 36 page issue.

Every two pages of story would be alternating with two pages of adverts. ("Continued after next two pages" is a phrase that is burned into my cerebral cortex.)

It was scandalous.

It was wrong.

And these adverts were, frankly, meaningless to a typical UK DOCTOR WHO fan.

Did Sea Monkey really look like that? And why did they grin so happily and stupidly at everything?

Also, to quote MONTY PYTHON, I used to dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaam of eating a Hostess Twinkie bar after being bombarded and brainwashed by so many f***ing adverts for it. But did I ever get within a thousand miles of one? No.

And who wanted to sell road grit anyway? Much spinal damage must have been caused by lugging huge, heavy bags of it around.

1240579655_e036633422.jpg

sea-monkeys_advert_4.jpg

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_213_page_30.jpg

Last edited: