Review Mindwarp (1986)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I don't care how dramatic it was... I hated....

Peri's death!

Just an awful conclusion to her character.... and it also defeated the whole point of CAVES OF ANDROZANI, with the Doctor going to huge lengths, and ultimately sacrificing his life, to save her.

Yes, Nicola Bryant loved it and was disappointed at it being ret-conned, but she is speaking, I suspect, purely as an actor. But I can't pretend I liked this horrible fate for this, already badly served, character....

I have never read or heard a viewpoint from anyone who dislikes the death scene, but I just think it was really, really awful and so nihilistic. Peri deserved far better.

I disliked the way they resolved it... Warrior Queen, but I would be even unhappier if they had let this cruel fate stand.

Doctor Omega

Not sure I want to listen to the BIG FINISH writers trying to show off what clever scribes they are, when they addressed it, either.....

PerisandthePisconParadox.jpg

The Doctor and Peri journey to Los Angeles 2009 to do battle with a Piscon. His name is Zarl, and he's a fish of utmost evil.

Zarl is going to steal all the water of Earth and sell it to the highest bidder. Or blow up the San Andreas fault. Or the planet. Or something like that. He's a bit vague on that point.

Fortunately, to stop him there's help from an unexpected source: a future version of Peri. She knows Zarl's dark secret.

But should the future Peri be on Earth at all? Something smells fishy — and it's not just Zarl.

Doctor Omega

I have often wondered and looked for a fan edit of each of these stories on youtube where the trial scens are stripped away and the stories are left to stand on their own as omnibus tales.

I guess they would be a bit disjointed and jumpy, but I would still love to see someone do this.

Perhaps also make an omnibus of the trial + part 13 and 14 without the tales (or story interjections) and see how that stands up.