Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_hushed:~ Can't wait to see this new version. I'd like to see if its as good as the 1974 version.:emoji_blush:

*~:emoji_ghost:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
:emoji_musical_score:

"Life is never what you planned
Life is moments you can't understand
And that is life

Holding to the ground
As the ground keeps shifting
Trying to keep sane
As the rules keep changing"

By: Falsettos

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I'd like to see if its as good as the 1974 version
No offense SF but after reading all the novels, then seeing every film/TV version, I think I can say that Phinney was most assuredly the worst of the bunch of Poirots. David Suchet really had him nailed but I'm such a fan of KB that I really believe that his will be the definitive version of that particular story. He is a genius for detail and a wonderful story-teller.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'll be interested in seeing this, but wary. Unfortunately, as a huge Agatha Christie fan, there have been very few adaptations that have worked for me. Most seem to feel the need to make significant changes to the story which just don't work.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
There was an amusing story about a journalist complaining about the film having the word orient in it but not having any Asians in the cast.

LOL

Observer

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There was an amusing story about a journalist complaining about the film having the word orient in it but not having any Asians in the cast.
Um, wow. Again, no hope for the future of our species.

David Suchet really had him nailed but I'm such a fan of KB that I really believe that his will be the definitive version of that particular story. He is a genius for detail and a wonderful story-teller.
David Suchet is Poirot. Another Christie fan here, and I love his performance in the stories. And as much as I love Branagh, I don't know if he can pull this off. But he did do Hamlet justice, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Also, can I reach into the video and slap the voiceover chick silly for mispronouncing Hercule?

Carol

Member: Rank 5
but not having any Asians in the cast.
Best chuckle all day - I wonder if the film will bend over backwards to explain to the offenderati that the name Orient Express refers to a railway route/ service whose eastern-most terminus was in Istanbul, where Asia "starts". Now, though not in the blessed Agatha's day, it's the only place in the world where a pedestrian can change continents by walking across a bridge - although I'm sure the locals refer to it as just "going downtown".

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
But he did do Hamlet justice, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.
"Pres'is a mon, mon ami"! David is as Poirot as Poirot will ever be and although I don't accord her grandson the laurels everyone else does, I think even Aggie herself would have approved of DS. The only thing I ever found fault with was the fact of anything with curves instead of edges being used in his apartment as: "even the site of the rounded edges of cooked eggs seemed untidy and offensive to him" or something pretty much to that effect. This was a man who wanted everything squared off, perfectly aligned and/or parallel and was utterly obsessed with all of it. Black patent-leather shoes with spats in the country just says something about a man don't you think? She put an enormous amount of effort in describing both him and his characteristics and flaws and DS researched every single one of them in order to do the character justice.

Did you see the whole 4 hour version of Hamlet or the shortened version? I loved both but then he's really been the only director whose done justice to the bard in our generation as far as I'm concerned....

I'm inlined to think he's going to take on Poirot himself because the thought of JD doing it makes me want to slit my throat open and bleed out all over Variety Magazine (seems appropriately dramatic don'tcha think???? :emoji_hugging::emoji_astonished:) !!!!! But then JD has become as much of a "character" as Poirot is over the years and I'm not particularly comfortable with him even being in the production but what can you do? Hope for the best and be there first thing in the morning on the day it opens.... I'm a bit "obsessed" with this particular movie myself so there you have it!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: DS has retired and Aggie is dead so the DB's are just for how excited I am for the show...
Otherwise I wouldn't use them out of respect for those involved as I'm pretty sure that none would approve! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Elliot Thomas

Thanks for the heads up regarding this remake duzit. :emoji_alien:
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but, I'm assuming that the 'reveal' will be the same as the original?? The reason I ask, is because I thought the twist was really good in the original. Little point in watching it, if you've seen the first film (if reveal is the same).

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Not sure about twist, Elliot, but just found this....

Published on May 3, 2017
In a fantastic exclusive, Entertainment Weekly have debuted a first-look at Kenneth Branagh’s upcoming adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder On The Orient Express. The eight images and fantastic cover give us our very first look at the cast of the film, which is currently in post-production.

Branagh directs the film as well as starring in the lead role as Hercule Poirot. The stunning cast also includes the likes of Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfieffer, Penelope Cruz, Daisy Ridley, Josh Gad, Willem Dafoe, Lucy Boynton, Derek Jacobi, Olivia Colman, and Dame Judi Dench.

The story revolves around a murder on one of the world’s most luxurious trains, and is based on the book of the same name by Agatha Christie.

Last edited:

Elliot Thomas

Not sure about twist, Elliot, but just found this....

Published on May 3, 2017
In a fantastic exclusive, Entertainment Weekly have debuted a first-look at Kenneth Branagh’s upcoming adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder On The Orient Express. The eight images and fantastic cover give us our very first look at the cast of the film, which is currently in post-production.

Branagh directs the film as well as starring in the lead role as Hercule Poirot. The stunning cast also includes the likes of Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfieffer, Penelope Cruz, Daisy Ridley, Josh Gad, Willem Dafoe, Lucy Boynton, Derek Jacobi, Olivia Colman, and Dame Judi Dench.

The story revolves around a murder on one of the world’s most luxurious trains, and is based on the book of the same name by Agatha Christie.

Cheers Doc. That cast is unbelievable. Do you know who's in the Ingrid Bergman role, by any chance. I'm guessing it's Dench; could be serious Oscar-bait.

Carol

Little point in watching it, if you've seen the first film
And yet I must have seen 3 dozen assorted versions of Hamlet (including 3 of young Branagh's) and watch my favourite films and TV series on a fairly regular basis. Don't you find there's more to enjoying a good story than a simple surprise ending?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Did you see the whole 4 hour version of Hamlet or the shortened version? I loved both but then he's really been the only director whose done justice to the bard in our generation as far as I'm concerned....
I've seen both, but prefer the 4 hour version, as Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play. For acting ability, I do like Zeffirelli's version, but it's like the Cliff's Notes version of the play.

Elliot Thomas

And yet I must have seen 3 dozen assorted versions of Hamlet (including 3 of young Branagh's) and watch my favourite films and TV series on a fairly regular basis. Don't you find there's more to enjoying a good story than a simple surprise ending?
I think because it's a murder mystery, and the reveal is so unpredictable
Because it's a murder mystery, and the reveal is so surprising, it'll take away from the remake's overall impact (knowing how it ends). No?

Carol

Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play
Wise one, have you ever had the chance to see Peter Brook's version starring Adrian Lester? You will not regret tracking it down! David Tennant was also hot stuff in the part - not sure if it was recorded for DVD though.

More distant Hamlet memories: Alan Rickman's was wonderful, Derek Jacobi's amazing, Michael Pennington heartbreaking, Jonathan Pryce terrifying, Robert Lindsey glorious.... I'm a bit of a Hamlet slut, you see.