Review Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

John Landis on MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY

Filmed previously in 1915, 1933 and 1935, this souped-up version of the Nordhoff & Hall maritime classic was the first movie shot and released in Ultra Panavision 70 (aspect ratio 2.76:1). The problem-plagued production was constantly being rewritten, and went through two directors plus an uncredited reshoot by another. Star Marlon Brando's erratic behavior on the Tahiti locations caused the already troubled production to go overschedule and overbudget, and the resultant film was roundly derided in its day. But it's still one of the last truly epic big studio spectacles and its polished craftmanship still entertains.

Doctor Omega

I know it's historical accuracy is laughable, but this is far and away my favourite version of the tale. I think Marlon's Brit accent is unfairly maligned and I think the moment of the mutiny is the best of the three. Trevor Howard makes for a great (if far too old - Bligh was 33 when they set sail and 35 when the Mutiny took place, apparently).

I think the look and scope of the film is spectacular too.

And I have been on the replica of the ship too, when it visited Hull (UK), although it has sadly sank since then, causing the death of a descendant of Fletcher Christian who was on board at the time.

The deck of the ship was just as it was in the film; I couldn't help but recreate scenes in my head, thinking that so and so was stood there, or came up those stairs from below deck.

Going down those stairs led to disappointment though. The interior of the ship was pretty much one long empty open space, with nothing to remind you of the film.

Last edited: