Review On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
AVADS.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

James Bond woos a mob boss's daughter and goes undercover to uncover the true reason for Blofeld's allergy research in the Swiss Alps that involves beautiful women from around the world.

And the theme tune.....

And the song.....

On to the next movie....

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/diamonds-are-forever-1971.1534/

Back to the previous movie.....

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/you-only-live-twice-1967.1533/#post-8562

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Mine too and I think George did a fair job.

A shame it all went to his head, at a terrible cost, although I understand that he is a millionaire still. Good on him.

Some are not so charitable though...

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Mine too and I think George did a fair job.

A shame it all went to his head, at a terrible cost, although I understand that he is a millionaire still. Good on him.

Some are not so charitable though...

It doesn't work. Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Have you got an address - not a link - to this?

Doctor Omega

It doesn't work. Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Have you got an address - not a link - to this?
Ooh, I don't know an address. I notice though, that if you click where it says "watch this video on you tube", it should take you straight there.

Doctor Omega

if you search on you tube for Lazenby rigg it will come up at the top.

Not too technically minded here! :(

If you can post a workable link or whatever on here to replace the blocked one, would be grateful. :)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I actually only recently watched this Bond film. It really is very good, but I don't like Lazenby in the role. I liked that it was more serious in tone than the Roger Moore films, but Moore had such a charisma, it's hard not to love the films just for that. Always worth a watch for the film alone, and of course, for Diana Rigg.

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
I thought Lazenby acquitted himself well in the role. I think there is now the beginnings of a revision regarding On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It is certainly one of the better Bond entries. It would have been interesting to see how the more serious tone and Lazenby's interpretation of the character would develop. Especially in light of some of the out right parody that would follow later.

I guess audiences were not ready to accept anyone but Connery in the role. Though I understand why Sean stepped down here. Can you picture big Sean; Jamesh Bond, On Her Hajeshty's Shecret Shervish?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

James Bond: George Lazenby ‘Daniel Craig making a pile of money for 007 makes me JEALOUS'

JAMES BOND star George Lazenby, who played 007 in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, has admitted he’s a little jealous of Daniel Craig’s large salaries.

james-bond-george-lazenby-957847.jpg

The Aussie actor famously only played 007 once in the 1969 movie, admitting his feeling about Craig’s paycheque in a recent interview about his new documentary, Becoming Bond.

When asked who he would like to play the next James Bond after Craig, he told USA Today: “I don't see that many movies anymore, I'm not current on all this stuff.

“I know Craig will get paid a pile of money if he wants to do another one, and that makes me a little jealous.

“But I can't think of anybody. It's the somebody who's got their stuff together and feels secure in their own shoes. I was silly enough to feel that way.”

The source of Lazenby’s jealously maybe not just be to do with the rumoured £120 million Craig has been offered to return as Bond, but the fact that he personally turned down a deal for more Bond movies.

Speaking with The Guardian, he previously admitted: “I had advice that James Bond was over anyway.

“It was Sean Connery’s gig and, being in the sixties, it was love, not war. You know, hippy time. And I bought into that.

“They also said, ‘There’s a guy called Clint Eastwood doing movies in Italy, getting 500 grand for a month, for doing a western.’

“They said, ‘You could do that’. So I didn’t feel like I was losing the million dollars.”

In another interview with the Daily Beast, he added: “Do I have any regrets? Only when I was broke. But I did a Bond film, and that’s all you have to do.

“After that, when I was broke a couple of times, I thought, sh**, I should have done another Bond movie. But I thought about how my life would be like if it continued.

“I’d have had three wives in Beverly Hills, mansions, and been a drug addict. I thought, well, I think I did the right thing.”

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I love the credits at the beginning of the film which tell us that even if he looks different to Connery, this is the same guy from the other films! Plus another fantastic theme song! Whatever happened to the great Bond theme?
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Whatever happened to the great Bond theme?
I dig the ones they've had so far for the Craig films, but yeah, some time in the 80s, they were more worried about getting the new, hot acts to do the openers, and we got a string of Top 40 sounding theme songs. Not all of them are bad, per say, but none of them have the gravitas of the older themes.