Fun Our Even Earlier Posts!

duzit

Member: Rank 6
It would also help if more of the 300 were active on a regular - or even semi-regular - basis.
Well, I made that point awhile back to Alex, and he basically said not to worry. But, you & I think the same on this issue. If they're members, where the heck are their posts?

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
On the IMDB RIP FB group most keep going to movie chat. Plus, that jim smith on there and a few others are constantly emailing me to sign up with the site. I am, but it's boring to me. Certain threads are active, others not so much. Don't help with MC fans downing all sites but their own.

duzit

I lurk there, but am not a member. I really don't like the layout. They do have a lot of advertiser's that help with the overhead. They also have trolls and based on the way members talk to each other, it seems like they do not have much respect for each other. It's interesting to read others opinions,
but I do not want to be a member◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Well, I made that point awhile back to Alex, and he basically said not to worry. But, you & I think the same on this issue. If they're members, where the heck are their posts?
This is actually a common phenomenon in Internet discussion forums called 1% rule. It states that the vast majority of any given Internet community only login to read, rather than participate and creating new content. Granted, taken literally, we have more than three active members, but you get the gist of it, Duz. :emoji_relaxed:

Considering that I've been a member here from the start, I have a relatively low post count (wouldn't make it to Notable Members list even if I doubled my current post count). So I guess I end up somewhere inbetween these two groups, and can understand both sides. A lot of people prefer to merely read, or just need to take that first step in order to get the momentum going and become really active. Or conversely, someone starts out really active but gets burned out much too fast. Case in point: Lucas.

Naturally, 1% of a really large number still equals to a high participation amount, so hopefully things will start looking brighter in a few years or so. The lack of trolls, compared to our twin site IMDB v.2.0., puts IMDF in a good position to brand themselves as the "sophisticated" alternative for film-related discussions. The cool layout certainly helps project that image to new visitors.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Naturally, 1% of a really large number still equals to a high participation amount, so hopefully things will start looking brighter in a few years or so. The lack of trolls, compared to our twin site IMDB v.2.0., puts IMDF in a good position to brand themselves as the "sophisticated" alternative for film-related discussions. The cool layout certainly helps project that image to new visitors.
Wow. I feel humbled by your comment. You said what I actually wanted to create here. The word "sophisticated" is key. That's why I put so much effort into it and you said it exactly how I felt it. Thanks so much for this.

duzit

Were a sophisticated bunch? You sure about that? I thought warped and sarcastic at times.
@High Plains Drifter

We'll take them all, there is nothing wrong with diversity.

Diversity makes life interesting, as in Jim dates a different girl every week—variety is the spice of life, he claims. This phrase comes from William Cowper's poem, “The Task” (1785): “Variety is the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor.”[/B]

duzit

This is actually a common phenomenon in Internet discussion forums called 1% rule. It states that the vast majority of any given Internet community only login to read, rather than participate and creating new content. Granted, taken literally, we have more than three active members, but you get the gist of it, Duz. :emoji_relaxed:

Considering that I've been a member here from the start, I have a relatively low post count (wouldn't make it to Notable Members list even if I doubled my current post count). So I guess I end up somewhere inbetween these two groups, and can understand both sides. A lot of people prefer to merely read, or just need to take that first step in order to get the momentum going and become really active. Or conversely, someone starts out really active but gets burned out much too fast. Case in point: Lucas.

Nick91,
Thanks for the further information. I understand the issue of just reading, that's pretty much all I did at IMDB. I lurked & read and learned. I did not post as the atmosphere scared me. This is only the second forum I have felt safe posting on & contributing to. The other is a silly fangirl site that is a loving community brought together for an actor that we all adore.

I've been here since the beginning too. However, I needed some time to feel it out. I'm here to stay, the alternatives hold no interest for me as far as being a member. I do lurk & see the problems that I don't want to be a part of.

You should be a little more active, I enjoy your contributions. I wondered what had happened to Lucas, I enjoyed his input too. Hope to see you around◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
But at least we're still up and running and there's a lot of other sites that went up in the wake of IMDb's death who can't make that claim so still being here says something about the membership, don't you think? We've managed to cobble together a group of people who've stayed and keep coming back because they see something in this site they haven't in others. It took IMDb years to grow into what it became and I think that most of us who've been here pretty much since the beginning see that potential here..... which is why we keep returning.

I'm genuinely comforted by the knowledge that this site is still alive and kicking and even if I don't contribute as much as many others do, I return again and again to make sure my presence is still felt and that I can keep up with at least some of what goes on and what gets added. I think, starting with a small core group has made us tighter and more bonded than I ever felt on IMDb so if this place does end up going the way of that other huge monstrosity, I'll feel pretty good knowing that I've been here watching it happen. Besides, at the moment, the size of our site has allowed us to establish an intimacy with each other that we couldn't have achieved in any other way. Many of us remember counting our members until we hit the "Big 300"..... granted, not much by some standards but building anything worthwhile takes time and energy along with commitment and I think we are all doing what we can, as much as we can, to help make that happen.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Hunter28

Member: Rank 3
I think we are all doing what we can, as much as we can, to help make that happen
My guess is alot of people that would like this site don't even know it exists. It you or anyone has any suggestions on how to get the word out about this place I would be glad to help.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
My guess is alot of people that would like this site don't even know it exists. It you or anyone has any suggestions on how to get the word out about this place I would be glad to help.
Spreading the love by giving the link away to your friends and family. Helping us post and contribute on the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/imdforums/

And the coming soon Blog feature will help a lot in creating forum visibility.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I've posted on other forum sites, but most shoot us down. Saying we lack numbers, and stuff. Like I said countless times, we are a new site, no old forum posting, all fresh. Plus no trolls or rude people on here. I don't like toilet humour that I've seen on other sites.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I don't like toilet humour that I've seen on other sites.
Nope, we poo-poo that type of humor. Flush it away, I say. We don't need a steady stream of those sort of jokes. They're a load of shit. Keep people who make those jokes on the runs. Nothing but verbal diarrhea.

(Well, somebody had to make a joke there. I might as well be the one to jump on the grenade. :emoji_wink:)

Plus no trolls or rude people on here.
We've seen a few try, but we do seem to get rid of them as soon as they realize that we won't tolerate that sort of behavior here. Which I appreciate.

And the coming soon Blog feature will help a lot in creating forum visibility.
This is exciting news for me!