Review Paul, Apostle of Christ: IN PRODUCTION

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
68404.jpg

Paul, Apostle of Christ

James Faulkner, Jim Caviezel, Olivier Martinez, Joanne Whalley, and John Lynch are set to star in Sony Pictures’ historical drama “Paul, Apostle of Christ” which is now shooting in Malta. Andrew Hyatt helms from his own screenplay.

The story covers Paul (Faulkner) going from the most infamous persecutor of Christians to Jesus Christ’s most influential apostle. The movie will follow his last days awaiting execution by Emperor Nero in Rome under the watchful eye of a prison’s ambitious prefect Mauritius.

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I hope they spend a lot of time exploring Paul's misogyny, homophobia, racism, and violent tendencies toward those who didn't believe the things he believed.
In fairness to Paul, most scholars now believe that most of the misogyny in his letters are later inserts and not part of the original text (although a certain level of misogyny would be fairly normal in that era too) and that several of the letters attributed to him were actually written by other people who used Paul's name to gain greater exposure. Only 7 of Paul's letters are universally accepted as being authentic. There are four that are now widely accepted to be pseudepigraphical and opinion is divided on the remaining two.

There is also a reasonable amount of dispute about the interpretation of the passages relating to homosexuality. Given that there was no understanding of homosexuality as an orientation. The encounters of Biblical writers with homosexual acts generally would have involved either pagan prostitution or the use of male rape in war and these were clearly condemnded. The idea of a loving homosexual couple would not have been considered in that era so the idea that the Biblical writers condemned that is unlikely (you could argue that they may have supported or condemned it but since it wasn't considered it can only be speculation).

I'm not immediately aware of particular racist passages or violent tendancies towards those who didn't believe what he believed but would be interested if you could point them out so I could give them some consideration.