Philippine Movies Thread

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Thy Womb (2012)

I would classify this as one of Brillante's strong ones. This actually has a plot worth following, as opposed to some of his films that seem pointless. He incorporated cultural values while depicting rural life of our Muslim brothers. He also made use of natural locations and natural elements such as seas and animals (the movie takes place in a floating rural village--one where people need to ride a banca to go to places) which made the film more interesting to the eyes. There is still the Brillante trademark of long shots (imagine a scene where someone was counting 8,000 using 100 bills--too long but tolerable) but this one is more interesting because we are getting a glimpse of the lives of people who live in these areas. Its like learning in entertainment form.

The story is about a Muslim couple, Shaleha (Nora Aunor) and Bangas-an (Bembol Roco), who thrives a living by fishing, selling, weaving, and midwifery. The opening and ending shots are all related to the title Thy Womb because they show childbirth (actually the opening scene featured actual childbirth, and by actual I mean really showing the head of the baby coming out of the vag--something he likes to do as I've observed he also did this in another movie), whilst the actual plot of the story has less to do with that. The "conflict" in the film starts when Bangas-an decided he wants to have a child but Shaleha cannot give her one. They embark on a search for a possible second wife in the person of Mersila (Lovi Poe). Actually Lovi Poe has little screentime here, but she's just too beautiful to be ignored, her presence is so compelling. Mercedes Cabral is here too, with less screentime. She plays a woman who wedded (this film portrays Islam as a religion and as a culture so I applaud the film for that--can't attest to the accuracy though as I'm not a Muslim but nevertheless nothing offensive or controversial was done here, unless you count the killing of a live cow as too provocative). Shaleha proves how much of a loving wife she is by supporting her husband in this search, finding money to be given as dowry. That's basically how the story goes. But you can always count on Nora Aunor and Bembol Roco to bring out the best in a film by their portrayals, simple yet compelling.

Highly recommended.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
I've wanted to see Thy Womb for a long time now - your review supports what I've heard from others, that the film is immersed in the community of the region, instead of the obvious politics. Unfortunately, the only copy I've managed to find is such a poor quality print, I've put it off as I worry it won't do the film justice.

Speaking of politics, and throwing back to your comments on direk Adolfo Alix Jr when you reviewed Whistleblower, I saw the trailer for his new film Dark is the Night has been put up on youtube:

plsletitrain

At first look I read, The Dark Knight. Hehe. Seriously, now THIS is a statement! I just wish he'd be braver and bolder this time. I hope Digong's statements on the trailer is not all that we'll see in the actual movie. (Remember my remark on him about how he played safe with Whistleblower and turned the other routes when he had the Pork Barrel Scam to uncover). He's fast, if I'm not mistaken he patterned the kid's story to the controversial Kian de los Santos killing/murder which triggered public outrage. It happened just recently.

I hope this gets a theatrical release.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Kita Kita (2017)
English translation: I See You
After watching it, I don't know. lol. It was good, but wasn't that great. I guess I was expecting too much because everyone's raving about it.
I need to find some time to write some proper thoughts on this - I went in with lowered expectations and, having had 18 hours to reflect, have to say that in my opinion, it WAS great. Awesomely great.

Though I can see how some people might be indifferent. And how at least one person here would detest it within the first five to ten minutes (if they lasted that long without punting).

plsletitrain

I need to find some time to write some proper thoughts on this - I went in with lowered expectations and, having had 18 hours to reflect, have to say that in my opinion, it WAS great. Awesomely great.

Though I can see how some people might be indifferent. And how at least one person here would detest it within the first five to ten minutes (if they lasted that long without punting).
I'm glad you found it great. Part of my lowering it from great to good might have something to do with expectations. If I blind watched this, without reading the positive reviews first before watching, I might also consider this as one great movie.

plsletitrain

Seven Sundays (2017)

Star Cinema does it again. Star Cinema knows family movies are the viewers' weakness; you seldom get out of the theater without a tear. I was holding back mine because I try not to be overly emotional.

Stellar performances from the powerhouse cast made this movie shine. One word to describe the plot would be "touching"- a wake-up call to siblings to set aside each other's differences, accept each other, and to love your parents.

The story is about the Bonifacio family. The patriarch (Ronaldo Valdez) is a widower who was left with four adult kids. The eldest, Allan, (Aga Muhlach) is a struggling entrepreneur left with managing the family-built convenience store. He tries to make ends meet for his own growing family with the slow income he earns from the store. The next is Bryan (Dingdong Dantes)--the achiever. He's the successful, perfectionist, disciplined professional who occupies a top position in a big company. The third one is the lone girl, Cha (Cristine Reyes), a young mother of 3 with a womanizing husband. The youngest is Dexter (Enrique Gil)--the freelance internet promoter who found himself in trouble after being involved in a music festival scam.

The four siblings, who aren't living with their father in the family home and are all busy with their own lives, were informed (via text message mind you) of their father's cancer diagnosis (I've tried to be as detached from the film as possible because cancer in a star cinema family movie will hit me hard personally). He was told he had two months to live so the children made all efforts to spare time for their father and make him happy during his remaining time. But how to do this when you've got adult children with clashing personalities? That's the beauty of the film. Sounds typical but it was made stellar by the engaging performances of the actors who were all just brilliant in their roles. I've always said that one thing to commend about the Philippine movie industry is that it is rich with great dramatic actors/actresses. Aga Muhlach and Dingdong Dantes in particular were just fabulous.

There's a twist that's not really a spoiler but more of a plot-turner. It was a misdiagnosis. The father doesn't have cancer.(I wish I could receive a call like that from my doc too)) He isn't dying . Will he tell the truth and risk to lose all his children again? Or will he conceal the truth so he can have all these moments forever? As the plot moves, so much is being said of each of the lives of the children, pointing to each of their flaws and mistakes, and relating to how they have grown and was raised.

This is a very moving family film that is typical of a Star Cinema film but I have to give credit where its due. I know Star Cinema usually throws these typical predictable family movies but it sure does what it does best.

Recommended.

plsletitrain

Barcelona: A Love Untold (2016)

I've always been outspoken about how I despise the way these love teams tease the audience by showing their cutesy cutesy lovey-dovey but I'm not born for those so I'm probably the most biased person to give a review of a romance movie of one of the most celebrated love teams of today's generation. But I went out of the box and decided to watch this because aside from being directed by acclaimed Olivia Lamasan, I've been persuaded of reviews along the lines of "this is not your typical KathNiel movie" or "they've grown matured here" or "definitely the most daring and unconventional roles they've done". Uhm, none of which I saw. It was still KathNiel in its boring glory.

It was two hours long and it was bland. I think it has something to do with a weak, typical, cliched story, an annoying lead girl, and a struggling lead actor. I'd want to give props to Daniel Padilla because I saw his effort, he wanted to fulfill the expectations but I can see the struggle. Kathryn Bernando had an annoying tinsy voice here so the "maturity" of her role was a bit overshadowed by her squeaky voice. Speaking of maturity of roles, I think KathNiel was too young to portray the leads here. Their roles should have been given to those in their late 20s or early 30s. Not teens (I don't know if they're still teens but they still look and act like one).

What was interesting in the film is not their love story but their family story. They have their own hurtful family story and that's what was more that held my attention--and almost brought tears to my eyes. As to their love story, well, its about Ely (Daniel Padilla) who lost his one great love (she died). He moves to Barcelona to fulfill his dreams, or rather what she dreamed for him. There he meets Mia (Kathryn Bernardo), a doppelganger of his ex. Mia is a brat who can't discipline herself so she struggles to find work in Barcelona. Ely helps in the process and bla bla bla you know how its going to turn out. This is filled with heavy drama that's eye-roll inducing so be warned.

I don't know how will I recommend this...but yeah, don't rush if you've got other priorities.

sitenoise

Romances from one's own culture are difficult to watch, I think, especially if you are aware of the actors and what they're like in real life. It's too easy to spot the acting.

And stuff like this really bakes your muffins:
He moves to Barcelona to fulfill his dreams ... There he meets Mia, a doppelganger of his ex.

plsletitrain

Barbi: D' Wonder Beki (2017)

Ha! I'm one of the firsts who get to see this as I watched it at first hour on opening day. afro.gif Not that that's something to be proud of. sad5.gif I just wanted to let everyone know how much I love Paolo B. that I left office work just to watch his movie.

In all fairness to the film, I know I trash-talked the trailer but it was actually funny. It was even funnier because I was literally the only person in the cinema. sad5.gif Well, its a weekday, working hour, and Justice League and a Star Cinema film in competition. So there's that. I'm just crossing my fingers that this will be as successful as Die Beautiful or at least close to it.

Speaking of, the movie is not at par with Die Beautiful. Die Beautiful was awards-worthy. This movie is friday-nights-binge-watching-with-the-gang or sunday-noons-with-the-cousins worthy. Its got old school comedy, witty dialogues, and of course stellar performance from Billy/Barbi (Paolo B.).

I can only say nothing but commendation to Paolo for being such a promising actor. You know, I was amazed and at the same time there's a slight pain on my heart (boink!) on why oh why does he have to settle with these comedies? I only wait for the day that he gets to star in a drama film where his acting prowess can be showcased. But then on the other hand I am just so proud of him because no matter the appearance of corniness of his film (ranging from the trailer, some corny dialogues, and the gay dance numbers he did on the film), I saw his effort and his readiness to give it his all. He was funny in the funny scenes, he was serious in the not-so-funny scenes, he could even cry just to make us laugh. He gave his best shot in every scene he made. And I felt it. And I'm sure the whole audience will feel it too. Damn, if only Paolo gets to be handled by competent handlers, he could make a name as big as gay superstar Vice Ganda too. Wait, is this a review or a fangirling account? Anyway....

The movie is a family movie about Billy (Paolo) who feels like he's a failure because his family just can't be proud of him. He's a security guard while his other siblings are policemen. His only achievement so far is being subject of admirations and lust from women who think he's straight. Scenes where closeted gay men acting tough and manly while throwing looks of disgust to women never really get old to me.His life suddenly changed when he becomes an accused for the murder of his master (named Mr. Bates. It was very funny when he was screaming Master Bates!!!!!). The original Barbi, Mr. B (Joey De Leon), then transforms him to become Barbi, a transgender, so he can live a normal life. Barbi gets the attention of the world and creates his own name by being star dancer in a club. He was also the key to unlocking the secret of Mr. Bate's killers and then he becomes a hero to all. The end.

The supporting cast is good. Joey Marquez, Ruby Rodriguez, Smokey Manaloto...the veterans of comedy were present to give us more laughs. Just one annoying character: the niece of Billy, Miley, played by I dunno, is she Bianca Umali (sorry I don't really know her) is very overacting. Really, the movie could do without her. What made it more unbearable is she had a lot of screentime. For I don't know why. To sell her love team with Miguel Tanfelix??? Not cool. She was very irritating here.

All in all, I was pleased. I admit I underestimated the film without watching it but after seeing it, it was actually funny. Good one Paolo, you delivered again!

plsletitrain

Mga Anak Ng Unos: Unang Aklat (Storm Children: Book One) (2014)

I decided to break down my positive and not-so-positive take on the film.

Positive
  • Mesmerizing (to borrow from Clayton) would be an apt word to describe the first few minutes of the film. The way he shot the scenes, you feel like you’re taken to the actual place. Staring at the sight of rain falling, or a close-up of the water flowing in the river is just very mesmerizing you’ll feel lost while looking at it. Its like you’re being hypnotized by the rain and the water and even if that’s the only thing you stare at, you still enjoy it.
  • It felt so surreal watching the calm sea and how angry it must have looked like while the eye of the storm was there.
  • It was a delight to see children singing Frozen’s "Let it go" while knowing that hours/days before, they experienced a major catastrophe.
  • There was one scene where the camera was shaking hard, and not just the usual shaky cam we see, it was literally shaking that was probably brought by the wind blowing. It felt so real, not choreographed. This was just as real as it could be.
Not so positive
  • While I know that the film is a documentary, it looked like a literal slide-show silent film. To be honest, if you were doing anything aside from watching the movie, you won’t miss much because the scenes were a bit protracted. If you were watching this on the laptop (like me), I can open an internet window and when I returned back to the movie, it was still on the same scene. Hehe.
  • I don't know where I got my expectations from, but I kinda expected it to be a documentary before, during, and right after the storm. Almost more than 3/4 of the film was devoted to showing scenes of children playing with floodwater, or children swimming on the already-calm sea. There was only a few minutes where actual dialogue and actual interview of the victims were done.
  • This is NOT for the dialogue-driven. Visual-driven, can be, but the movie will lose you because as I said, the scenes are protracted.
  • There were some scenes where a random out-of-nowhere pop love songs play and if I didn’t know that this was a legit copy, I would think that the one who downloaded the movie was playing a song on his laptop while the downloading process was ongoing! In the end part, a trance song randomly also played. Ehhhh....
  • To be honest, were it not for the fact that someone was kind enough to exert a big effort to send me this (my disappointment on the documentary of Lav Diaz in no way undermines or undervalues clayton’s effort), I might have put it off when I reached the 40 minutes mark when I thought it was already going nowhere and wasn't offering an insight I wanted to see.

BUT To be fair to the film, I think the main reason why it didn't deliver much as far as I'm concerned is because I am a Filipino. I've seen this all, from the days of forecast, to the preparations, to the actual passing of the storm, to the aftermath. I've seen and heard and experienced the horror, so watching innocent children play on floodwater is a scene I see everyday. But to a foreigner, it might be appealing to see a window of how we looked like after the catastrophe.

There were a few parts that had actual interviews with the people of Tacloban, the hardest hit city. I wish if it were a book 2 (is there?) Lav would focus on these first-hand accounts more.

plsletitrain

Momzillas (2013)

This is a film from the late Wenn V. Deramas so you don't expect to be wowed by its depth. This is just a brainless, light-mood film you don't really have to line up in cinemas but you can just wait for it to be shown on TV and watch it on a boring day. With these type of films, you just decide whether it was funny or not. That's the main essence of most of his films. And this one's funny.

You can never go wrong with Eugene Domingo acting British-like and paired with taray-queen Maricel Soriano and her bitchy antics. Their roles are that of Minerva and Clara. Arch-nemesis of each other brought about by a past issue involving Minerva's husband. Clara was the lover who never knew that the guy is married. Fast forward to years later, their respective children decides to get married to each other. When the news of engagement broke, they decided to arrange a family get together and you can just expect what happens when they first met each other. A lot of bickering happens and its just so funny when you see two comediennes battle it out.

In an effort to make amends, their children arranged for a plan for them to bond. They brought them to a yacht for them to grow close to each other but a typhoon causes their yacht to sink. The two women were washed away in a far island and you guess it, the fun just never stops when two enemies struggle to survive in the forest. They had encounters with a giant python, a lion!!!--all the while wearing long gowns!

This is a fun, family movie. You don't have to sweat it out looking for a copy of it, but if by chance it gets played on your local TV and you want to just laugh, you can check this out.

sitenoise

Clara was the lover who never knew that the guy is married. Fast forward to years later, their respective children decides to get married to each other. When the news of engagement broke, they decided to arrange a family get together and you can just expect what happens when they first met each other.
Step siblings?

plsletitrain

Haha no, and dad did not die of car accident.

By the way, I'm really struggling to find a clean copy of M. I begun watching it and discovered it had no subs. Ugh. So I have to find the subs now and find a way to synchronize it with the scenes. If my patience runs out, I might just watch it without subs. lol But something tells me I won't appreciate the film and just get confused if I watch it without the subs.

sitenoise

A lot of people who watched it with subs were confused!

I don't think the youtube copy is complete. missing some parts

Watch a little bit of which ever one looks better, more HD and see if you like the look of the film. That's what its all about for me, anyway. The use of mirrors and BLACKness.

plsletitrain

The texture on the youtube is grainy but I can live with that. Now the missing parts...that's something I can't do anything about. I wish I can find a way to find a clean copy, complete with subs, without missing parts. But I'll try to make this through. This better be good, sitenoise.

plsletitrain

Amnesia Love (2018)

Paolo Ballesteros' latest offering is not of Die Beautiful caliber but passable. I wonder when will he make another "Die Beautiful".

Here, he plays the role of Kimmer, a socialite gay with a boyfriend (Polo Ravales). He sets out on a nature trip and falls from a cliff. He must have bumped his head on something hard because when he wakes up, he finds himself in an island, totally clueless of his identity. He gets under the care of the village chief, with a daughter named Doray (played by Yam Concepcion). He begins to have feelings for Doray, but fragments of his memories keep visiting him. He is confused himself, as he gets the thrills for a male body, but he can't dump Doray too, who has also already fallen for him.

The movie had some witty remarks that sent me laughing hard (which I think were personally injected by Paolo himself, knowing his penchant for witty gay remarks). But the story is quite generic and too much for-the-masses. There were also some gay linggo humor injected (E.g. there's a scene where he says "Oh how I missed a BJ! Then makes a clarification that it means Buko juice, but he was alluding to blowjob of course) so parental guidance is recommended. I catched a scene where Yam Concepcion was objectified (and I'm quite sure there's more) but this one really was out of line, for me. The scene where she was sipping water from the coconut, and in a slow-mo way she made a tongue manuever as if she was, you know...it was foul, I think. Sorry, but it was totally uncalled for.

Overall, I don't want to say recommended or not because this type of film is something you don't have to spend money on to find a copy of. But if incidentally it plays on your TV, you can watch it for the laughs. Not to be prioritized. Just some good 'ole comedy.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Paolo Ballesteros is a good, high-caliber actor. He just needs to find the right amount of projects, start with good handlers probably. I know a talent when I see one, and I can see that no matter if he's given a generic role to play, he still slays and nails it. He excels in both drama and comedy, its very evident.

I can only hope.