Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
jogging_625x350_41422955548.jpg

Neither I, nor my cute pot belly, trust it!

Surely all that forced running can't be good for your joints or bones?

What do you think?

And what are the facts?

Just found this....

Is this the right balance?

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Just hear me out on this one, and this one exercise will kick your a**. Go out and cut grass, or mow the yard. It sounds like a joke, but it is not. I don't know how many pounds I loss during this spring/summer workout.

Push Mowing you're doing a lot of walking. If you push mow a ditch, that's up and down (pushing and pulling), walking at a steep angle. Plus pushing one of those little bastards, is a small weight in front of you. Then there are the mowers that are front wheeled drive. Those wheeled mowers are fun be prepared to get pulled behind it, learn to fast walk, and run at times.

Weed Whipping is not that easy whether it's trying to start it or running one. You have to pull the string 5 or 10 times, and re do the primer button, and pull 10 more times. If it is gas you have to make sure you have control and be prepared cause that little beast does get to your back at times. You don't think something that light bothers your back. It's still walking, moving a weight up and down, back and forth, going up hills. If you think a battery whips are just as better. You still have the normal gas work out, but the triggers have a safety feature. You have the squeeze the handle, hold the safety button, and your hand starts to hurt and cramp up.

Riding Tractors even give you a work out. If you're running a Cub Cadet they have a forward and reverse pedal on some models. Your right leg will feel it since you're moving your leg muscles up and down. A stupid Craftsman has a forward. neutral, reverse, on your right side. The blade adjuster is on the left hand side, and the brake as well. That blasted blade lever is behind the steering wheel, stubborn & requires muscles to turn it on. At least the flipping Cubby has buttons, and easier setup to run.

If your cutting, and find a ground bees nest. Guess what you'll run the fastest you have for the entire year.

By the time you get this lovely work out done you are sweating, tired, and will feel it in the morning. Plus, it helps with a tan if you want that also.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Just hear me out on this one, and this one exercise will kick your a**. Go out and cut grass, or mow the yard. It sounds like a joke, but it is not. I don't know how many pounds I loss during this spring/summer workout.

Push Mowing you're doing a lot of walking. If you push mow a ditch, that's up and down (pushing and pulling), walking at a steep angle. Plus pushing one of those little bastards, is a small weight in front of you. Then there are the mowers that are front wheeled drive. Those wheeled mowers are fun be prepared to get pulled behind it, learn to fast walk, and run at times.

Weed Whipping is not that easy whether it's trying to start it or running one. You have to pull the string 5 or 10 times, and re do the primer button, and pull 10 more times. If it is gas you have to make sure you have control and be prepared cause that little beast does get to your back at times. You don't think something that light bothers your back. It's still walking, moving a weight up and down, back and forth, going up hills. If you think a battery whips are just as better. You still have the normal gas work out, but the triggers have a safety feature. You have the squeeze the handle, hold the safety button, and your hand starts to hurt and cramp up.

Riding Tractors even give you a work out. If you're running a Cub Cadet they have a forward and reverse pedal on some models. Your right leg will feel it since you're moving your leg muscles up and down. A stupid Craftsman has a forward. neutral, reverse, on your right side. The blade adjuster is on the left hand side, and the brake as well. That blasted blade lever is behind the steering wheel, stubborn & requires muscles to turn it on. At least the flipping Cubby has buttons, and easier setup to run.

If your cutting, and find a ground bees nest. Guess what you'll run the fastest you have for the entire year.

By the time you get this lovely work out done you are sweating, tired, and will feel it in the morning. Plus, it helps with a tan if you want that also.
HPD,

It sounds like you've had extensive experience at all aspects of taking care of grassy property.

Sometimes a solid green cement parking lot sounds appealing...

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Go out and cut grass
You are so totally right - for the first time ever this year I am paying a deserving student (granddaughter of my next-door neighbour) to keep mine trimmed till I get back at the end of term... but then I'm back on it, and there are other gardening aerobics to factor in: decimation of dandelions (this tends to feature lying flat out on the lawn plunging a knackered old brad knife deep into their roots...), total Blitzkreig on brambles, and slightly wimpier assault on sticky willy (I'm badly allergic) but that bloody stuff gets everywhere. And by the time I've done all that, the privet needs trimming again.
Gardening - love it - like making bread, it soaks up all life's little aggressions, and there's a positive end-product.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
HPD,

It sounds like you've had extensive experience at all aspects of taking care of grassy property.

Sometimes a solid green cement parking lot sounds appealing...
Astro turf sounds good as well. I'm like most when it comes to lawn care, but I have to take care of a few extra properties in the family. I'm just doing more cutting this year, compared to last year. I'm out working about 2 to 5 hours depending on which one I working on. Then all the bells and whistles to make it all look nice in the end. Always take pride in a job well done, and done right. Hate it when folks do a half assed job on stuff, or cut to fast.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Yes, I know what you mean when you take pride in it looking well groomed. I make sure the front & side always look good. The backyard not so much, but I can live with that as I'm the only one that sees the back. I have a heavily wooded 1/2 acre lot & the real bitch is in the fall with all the f _ king leaves. Have fun, keep on cutting. What kind of equipment do you use?

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
As long as you maintain the oil, belts look good, keep the gas tanks clean from dirt and debris, and keep the tires filled your good to go. I just wash mine down every now and then to keep the mud and grass build ups. I hate the when you get buildups under the decks, because it holds moisture and allows the decks to rot out faster. Even spraying a rubber coat on new mowers helps you out a little, but not much.

Carol

I'm way out of my league here - that's some heavy-duty kit Mad Max type you are talking about, I'm impressed. To let you down gently into my word of mowing, my gubbins: is more on the scale of this: I replace the odd dinky plastic blade every time it meets a rock or twig it can't stomach and have rewired it a couple of times after slicing through the cable. Other than that, it gets de-crudded underneath with a brisk trowelling when every I remember.

upload_2017-6-8_20-6-57.jpeg

Hunter28

Member: Rank 3
What the heck is that? That's a new one to me. Looks like something the jetsons have.
I really get a workout. I do everything you talked about. I ride on my riding mower most. But there are places I can only get with a push mower. Then I weed-whack. My then I am super hot and get in the pool for some swimming.

Carol

What the heck is that?
It's a dinky little hover-mower, brand name Flymo, that buzzes along spinning its tiny plastic rotor blades beneath. Does everything I need it to do for the wee patches of suburban lawn at my mum's place - but lordy! I'd love to have a go one day on a great petrol guzzling situpon mowing monster - looks fun, if I had the acreage to justify it.

And please, feel free to call me Jetson if it helps you to relax....

croft_alice

Member: Rank 4

Well,i live on country-side,so i know what it means to cut grass without the help of the machines

Hunter28

IMO biking is the way to go. Not near as much wear and tear on your body. Plus you cover way more ground. Depending on where you bike the scenery can be great. When I started out I was only riding mostly level trails. Now I am climbing hills I never thought I would be able to. So if I want a leisurely ride I hit a level bike path. But if I want a real workout I head for the hills.

Amyghost

Very bad for the kidneys, and when you're reaching the age perimeter that suggests those 'Depends moments' may be getting more and more frequent probably best to stay away from it.

Sunflower007

:emoji_relaxed:~ I must agree with High Plans Drifter about doing yard chores for a pretty good workout. Since the late spring and this summer I have been helping out my Grandmother cleaning the yard by removing weeds & unwanted grass by hand. Also cleaning & moving patio furnitures, & digging holes on the soil to plant flowers. It definitely makes me sweat :emoji_disappointed_relieved:a lot and gets me to stretch my back and arms.

*~:emoji_bouquet:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
:emoji_musical_score:

"Well you may not see me when you come back
I could be sharing someone else's pillow
And my love for you is better than diamonds
To you everything I bestow"

By: Mundy