News Ratched (2020)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
10.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

A prequel to “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” with Paulson playing a younger version of the villainous Nurse Ratched. The series will start in 1947, and chronicle her rise from lowly nurse to one of the most loathsome screen villains of all time.

Back to the original movie.....

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975).....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975.1356/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Netflix Orders “Cuckoo’s Nest” Prequel Series

netflix-orders-cuckoos-nest-prequel-series-696x464.jpg

Netflix has won a bidding war against Hulu and Apple for two seasons of Ryan Murphy’s “Ratched,” a new drama series prequel to “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”.

Sarah Paulson is set to star as a younger version of the cruel Nurse Ratched in the series which begins in 1947 and will track Ratched from nurse to monster. Louise Fletcher won an Oscar memorably playing the role in the 1975 film adaptation of Ken Kesey’s 1962 novel.

Evan Romansky wrote the script on spec and Murphy spent a year getting the rights to the property. Murphy, Michael Douglas, Aleen Keshishian, Margaret Riley and Jacob Epstein will executive produce.

The streaming giant’s order consists of eighteen episodes spread across two seasons with Fox 21 producing.

Doctor Omega

Ratched

Finn Wittrock and Jon Jon Briones, both of whom starred in Ryan Murphy’s FX series “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” will re-team with him for his Netflix series “Ratched”. The pair join the previously announced Sarah Paulson.

The series is a prequel to “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” with Paulson playing a younger version of the villainous Nurse Ratched. The series will start in 1947, and chronicle her rise from lowly nurse to one of the most loathsome screen villains of all time. Evan Romansky created the series.

Doctor Omega

I remember a marvellous Hannibal Lectre quote...

"What happened to you?"

HANNIBAL: Nothing happened to me. I happened.

Of course, they then went and explained what terrible things happened to him to make him so monstrous, which sapped a lot of his evil away, making him.... kinda sympathetic and human.

I would rather remember the terrible Nurse Ratched - and not know how she got there.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Ehhhhhhhhh, I don’t know that I agree with her assessment. Randle was pretty scuzzy but I don’t think he was the total and complete irredeemable asshole she thinks he is. The only unforgivable thing he did was have sex with a minor. Ratched is pretty hard-nosed. And she definitely drove Billy to suicide when she threatened to tel his mother he had sex. All her dealings with him were rotten. She was always holding her relationship with his mother over his head and ganging up on him with her. Add to that how abusive she was to the orderlies and she’s definitely an unpleasant person.

That said, Ken Kesey, the author, said she was based on a real nurse in his ward in a psychiatric ward, and when he ran into her later she was “more human” than he perceived her to be before.
https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/10/theater/ken-kesey-checking-in-on-his-famous-nest.html

Doctor Omega

Stone, Nixon Join Netflix’s “Ratched”

stone-nixon-join-netflixs-ratched-696x464.jpg

Prolific producer Ryan Murphy has announced the full cast for “Ratched,” his Netflix TV series that serves as a prequel to the origin of the character Nurse Ratched, the villain of Ken Kesey’s novel “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”.

Sarah Paulson plays the lead role with the likes of Sharon Stone, Finn Wittrock, Charlie Carver, Judy Davis, Harriet Harris, Cynthia Nixon, Hunter Parrish, Jon Jon Briones, Amanda Plummer and Corey Stoll all set to co-star.

The story begins in 1947 and will track Ratched (Paulson) as she morphs from an average nurse into a terrifying authority figure. Louise Fletcher played the role in the previous film adaptation of ‘Cuckoo’ and won an Oscar for her work.

Netflix has given the series a two-season, eighteen episode commitment. Murphy, Aleen Keshishian, Margaret Riley, Jacob Epstein and Michael Douglas will executive produce.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Yeah, I have to agree. Sometimes, we really don't need any backstory. I didn't need to know, nor care, that Michael Myers was raised in an abusive, redneck home, and his stepdad pushed his already fragile psyche. I didn't need to know that Fred Kruger's mom was raped by a thousand asylum inmates. A lot of these stories should be relegated to the websites filled with shitty fanfic writers all telling themselves they're real writers.