Review Recently Seen, Part 1 (Feb 2017)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
The Workhorse and the Bigmouth (2013) (Japanese Drama) – This is a good quality film with a solid lead performance by Aso.
I can't remember if you've seen Cafe Isobe. Seems like Aso and this director work well together.
If Cats Disappeared from the World (2016) (Japanese Romance/Drama) – It’s like watching paint dry.
Such a polarizing film, lol. I wouldn't characterize it as watching paint dry. More like listening to someone draw their fingernails across a chalkboard, at times.

I have had The Camellia Girl (aka Shojo Tsubaki) queued up for a while. Maybe time to jump in.

sitenoise

YOUR NAME (KIMI NO NA WA) - I may be in the very few minority who didn’t like this much but what can I do, I’m done believing in fairy tales.
Well now. I don't think this will stop the rest of us from checking it out. Sorry it was bad for you. I'm still optimistic even though I'm not a big cartoon guy.

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3
If Cats Disappeared from the World (2016) (Japanese Romance/Drama) – A young postman learns that he has a terminal illness and is soon going to die. Then, a devil appears and offers to extend his life on the condition that certain things must disappear from the world in exchange for him living longer. An interesting premise that is hampered by unambitious execution. The storyline, characters, and romance are all very flat, static, and extremely shallow. The sci fi scenes where stuff changes feels random and thoughtless, failing to cash in on the premise. Sure, this is shot well and acted well, but I need more than that. It’s like watching paint dry.
I dropped this one just a few days ago. I couldn't get into the mood of the film.

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Also, animation-wise, I didn’t dig it. I think I’m still not over Hayao Miyazaki’s style that I was expecting the animations here to look as real as he does it. There were also songs injected in the film btw. But it didn’t help either. They’re not catchy. Kinda quirky, but not catchy.

I may be in the very few minority who didn’t like this much but what can I do, I’m done believing in fairy tales.
Hrm. I kind of know what you mean about the melodrama of anime; I'm not real into the genre but in prior Shinkai films, I liked the way that it was very understated, and more narration than dialog. It gave it all a very abstract feel. Additionally, I am definitely a fan of his hyper-realist animation, more than the bubbly Miyazaki stuff. That said, his films are kind of 'atmospheric' and not really much on plot, so maybe that's part of what turns you off. I'll go into this one with an open mind and modest expectations.

sitenoise

I was thinking of Secret Sunshine when I wrote that. .... He was standing around, shuffling his feet, looking like he was at his cousin's wedding wearing a blazer he borrowed from his other cousin.
I wish I could tell stories that conjure images like that instead of just saying things.

plsletitrain

Why am I the only one who liked that cat movie. Come on guys, doesn't seeing a small cat caped with a towel break you into pieces????

@ everyone
I'm 70% sure you won't like Your Name as much. Hehehe. I can't wait to see your remarks on how you bailed out on the repetitive melodramatic calling out of each other's names.

@ sitenoise
Cafe Isobe is on my to-watch list as I have the feeling that watching your emoticons is way more interesting than watching Workhorse & The BigMouth.

plsletitrain

Yes that's it!!!! Thank you! Come on guys, that's worth a computer screensaver already!

Ugh, I think I'll be the official caveman user here. I don't know how to post those cute and moving emoticons and I don't know how to take screenschots. Grrr...

sitenoise

I watched a couple non-asian new wave punky docs: Gimme Danger and Danny Says.

Gimme Danger is a Jim Jarmusch doc about Iggy Pop and the Stooges. I already knew this, but Iggy is a tenuously poetic man, not just a madman. The film captures that by letting him talk and talk. It's decently informative and fanboy-y towards the Ig man, but I was grumpy about the start stop start stop rhythm of the film. Some nice footage of the band would be followed by an interview of some guy so wasted out by years of being in that footage that he'd take forever to say something. And the extracurricular B-roll stuff is silly. 5.67/10

Danny Says is a Doc about some guy I never heard of, Danny Fields, but who seemed to be involved as a promoter/manager in just about everything that was hip/game changing/cool in music from the sixties through the nineties. It had some of the same footage as the Iggy movie. Again, an interesting story but these old hosers are just not endearing talking heads at this point in their lives. They are so used to being loved, they assume everyone is still rapt in awe. Get on with it man. Clear your throat and try to speak clearly. 5.07/10

They both tell good history, and I'm a fan of most of it, but they are just a little too in their own bubbles to captivate me.

Last edited:

Daniel Larusso

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
The main character is so gross. I can't stand this type of humour. Unwatchable stuff.
2/10

Heathers (1988)
Enjoyable satire of teen life.
6/10

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
Funny story and characters. The ending was a bit disappointing.
7/10

Office Space (1999)
Just how I imagine my life will be when I get my first job.
7/10

sitenoise

@ everyone
I'm 70% sure you won't like Your Name as much. Hehehe. I can't wait to see your remarks on how you bailed out on the repetitive melodramatic calling out of each other's names.
I'm noticing a little trend on letterboxd, and I'm reading way in between the lines on this, but it seems 'professional' movie critics and some regular cartoon lovers are liking it. But it's getting limp 4s and 5s (out of 10) from anime fans, asian film connoisseurs, and plain old regular movie liking people.

Daniel Larusso

Taxi Driver (1976) - 3rd viewing
Pretty good film about isolation and loneliness. Amazing shots of the streets in New York, loved all the smoke, the rain and the trash adding to the disturbing atmosphere of the film.
One of the best performances from Robert De Niro.
8/10

The Godfather (1972) - 3rd viewing
This film has such memorable characters and scenes I still remembered most of it, even 10 years later or so.
The visuals and the soundtrack make this film an unforgettable experience, but I think that Part II is even better.
8/10

Creepy (2016)
New film from Kiyoshi Kurosawa. This one is about a ex-detective who's investigating an older case about a disappearing family which happens to be connected to his new neighboor. While the plot seems to be as average as it can get, I still expected to get a few twists, especially from a director who made such good films a long time ago. Well I didn't get any of the twists or any exciting moments I was expecting and there were so many silly moments that in the end I felt like it was just a waste of time. I didn't like this nor the director's previous film "Journey to the Shore", KK seems to be losing his touch.
4/10

Last edited:

Daniel Larusso

Natural City (2003)
Korean Blade Runner. While the visuals are very impressive and the story is interesting, I felt a bit lost and confused at times. I think that this film had a lot of potential, but it needed stronger characters to guide me in this world. Overall this film lacked a better script and better action sequences. The romance was sweet though.
5/10

sitenoise

Closed Diary [2006] • Japan ... (Not really recently seen, but who cares?)
Director: Isao Yukisada (Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World, Luxurious Bone, Parade, etc.)
8.41/10

What a wonderful weeper. A tad trite with some minor manipulations and big blunders but it's well played and when crying time came I was a willing participant.

The film contains a couple firsts for me: a pen fetish as plot device, (our heroine works in a pen store where they have test units "not ready" for sale); and a mandolin recital that reaches adrenaline rushing heights, (she also plays the mandolin). The performance of the man conducting the mandolin orchestra is worth the price of admission alone.

Closed Diary is beautifully shot and set. It's not unusual for movies to depict locations that promote envy in viewers, but the lush, lush greenery embracing beautifully cut old and new Japanese architecture and landscape patterns, at times seeming to swallow them up, instills hope, and a peaceful, serene mood without seeming fantastic. The second floor apartment where the girls in our film live, and lived, is reached by descending a large stone staircase which ends at the front door of the building. It's not clear how one reaches the apartment from that front door, but no matter. When loved ones leave the building, they ascend the stairs and arrive at the same level as the window to the apartment, making them seem far away and close at the same time; cries of love and farewell are given increased dramatic score.

Hope and love and dreams. Heartbreak and ambition. They're all here, given voice by the school teacher whose diary our mandolin playing pen store clerk reads. It's a little tough at times to attach yourself to the way these matters of the heart are gleaned from interactions with her 4th grade students, but Yuko Takeuchi, as the school teacher, performs with such heart-tapping sincerity (you'll see), I played along willingly. There's a little girl who can no longer attend class because she feels she doesn't have the strength in her heart to live up to the teacher's plea to all be "children of the sun" and "live like a family". The teacher illustrates this with an example of someone farting in class. "Not that I'm advocating casual farting in class, but it doesn't matter who farted." Oops. Take a deep breathe. Move on.

Although I think she could use a new hair stylist, Erika Sawajiri, as the diary reader, is as pretty and as engaging as an angel; her performance is unimpeachable except for a couple boo-boos during the mandolin recital. Some of her facial expressions made me forget I was watching a movie and was instead reminiscing through found videotapes of my own true love.

Yusuke Iseya, as the emotionally unavailable, or emotionally naive, love object and artist is also good. When he comes into the pen store to try out pens, he waves them around a bit, mumbles pen-love adjectives, scribbles a bit, and returns them to the clerk without looking at her. It's obvious he means business.

Speaking of obvious, when the plot finally revealed itself completely I smacked my head and cried "Doh!" But the beauty of a good film with good performances, cinematography, and direction (performances, mostly) is staying inside the characters, not getting outside of them and thinking about things they are not thinking about. When the curtain is pulled back, we see what they see, as they see it, when they see it.

Despite a few over-the-top moments and a couple inexplicable plot holes, Closed Diary kept me engaged, inside its characters ... until the final page before the tacked on epilogue I could have done without because it kind of ruined the film. But no matter.

[UPDATE] After re-reading this review, I'm bumping the film's score up to a 8.88/10 loll.gif

Last edited:

ebossert

Yay! Sitenoise gave me an excuse to post a video. Let's angrily learn Japanese with Erika Sawajiri, shall we? BETSUNI!