Review Recently Seen, Part 1 (Feb 2017)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Is that from the PR tour for Closed Diary? I read there was a little controversy at that time.

Yes! there's Yuko!

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
Way too sappy for my taste, especially before Andrew Garfield goes to war. Not what I expected from a director whose previous film was Apocalypto, which didn't have any melodrama. The action sequences were fun, but not that impressive (and a bit cheesy sometimes too). I don't think this one is a strong contender to win the oscar for best picture of the year, but it's worth a watch.
6/10

plsletitrain

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014)

*insert image here*

I don't know if I was watching too much Japanese or Korean films that watching this movie, were it not for the language, made me think I was watching a Japanese thriller. The atmosphere of the film felt so Japanese-y. And I watched this because I thought I was lagging on my China viewings. Oh well.

Good thing though that I felt that way. At least it wouldn't take ages before I watch another Chinese film again. Anyway, to the movie now.

It honestly exceeded my expectations. @Zelena has written all these time about how China has been quite restrictive with their inputs these past few years that the end-product is erm, bland (Okay, I'm putting words in his mouth now. Those are my thoughts, not his) lol. Even though I knew it was a crime/mystery genre, I did not expect it to be as brutal and straightforward as the Japanese thrillers we all loved. But in all fairness to this movie, it delivered! Well, not too explicit, but not dry either. Just right for.....China......

The lead girl, Lun Mei Gwei, was perfect for this role. She knows how to play with her poker face, and with a small cute face, she was perfect for someone mysterious.

The ending was a gray area it could be ripe for good discussion on theories. I can't say I understood it all because I'm the type who wants alternative stories (not alternative facts?). Or we could just accept how it was told hook, line, and sinker. The viewer can suit himself, which is what I love about it.

The ending was the best part though. That dance number was already ridiculously funny but the abrupt ending, showing the mysterious drunkard who was responsible for the irresponsible fireworks display was never given the spotlight. Who could he be? Could he be the zombie husband? Or could he be the cop who went insane? lol Anyway, good job for a cliffhanger. I even honestly thought tables would still turn in a way that I'll be surprised at some twist but it ended anyway. And I still like it.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
I actually found this somewhat uninvolving, though it may have been that I was all movied out at the time, because I felt that I should have enjoyed it more than I did. Maybe I'll revisit it after a suitable passage of time.

I thought I was lagging on my China viewings.
A couple of recent films that I might be able to recommend for you:

Mountain Cry
- Zelena described it as "pure television", and I wouldn't necessarily argue with that assessment (except that it would look great on the big screen), but if you're hankering for a good old fashioned melodrama, it should fit the bill.

Coffin in the Mountain -
great little quirky black comedy, though I'm not sure how readily available it is.

divemaster13

Asian movies I watched this weekend:

A re-watch of A Tale of Two Sisters. At least the 8th time I've seen this. Easily in my top 10 movies of all time. Not "top-10 horror movies" or "top-10 Asian movies"; but top 10 period. Such a wonderful film that works on many levels. I posted a review on IMDb several years ago, if you want to read it. 5/5

Train to Busan. A cross between World War Z and Snowpiercer, and I don't say that as a compliment. It was ok, worth the rental, but not one I'd care to buy the DVD or watch over again. 2.5/5

Heroes from the East (aka Shaolin vs. Ninja). Very well-done Shaw Brothers classic with Gordon Liu, a cute Japanese chick who also knows martial arts, and a host of Japanese style/weapons masters. Action, humor, cultural misunderstandings, and some fine martial arts fighting with all sorts of styles and weapons. 4/5

sitenoise

A Tale of Two Sisters. At least the 8th time I've seen this. Easily in my top 10 movies of all time. Not "top-10 horror movies" or "top-10 Asian movies"; but top 10 period. Such a wonderful film that works on many levels. I posted a review on IMDb several years ago, if you want to read it. 5/5
There's 237 user reviews over there. mblook.gif You should grab it and re-post it in a new thread over here. It's a film worthy of it's own thread. Maybe I'll grab a couple of those ultra-mega-explanation 'discussion' posts from there before they vanish into the ether. Certainly one of the shining examples of really good shit IMDb is flushing down the toilet.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Ok! I started a thread and posted my review.

I actually wrote fairly in-depth movie reviews for a now-defunct website for a while. I've got a handful.

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Yeah I thought this one was very good, one of the best Chinese films yet. I want to put on a sweater just thinking about that Harbin cold. But I thought it was a carbon-copy of Korean thrillers! I guess whatever Korean and Japanese thrillers have in common, that modern Asian thing. I think I described it as Jia zhang-ke does a Korean crime thriller. A good "chinese copy" with a few small examples of Chinese originality to it -- the sound design, I notice, the Chinese are sort of re-inventing the wheel in that dimension. Definitely recommendable.

With Tale of Two Sisters, I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I bailed a little more than halfway through, and not because of gore, but because of bore. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a movie; I might give it a try again since you all are unanimous that it's a work of staggering genius.

sitenoise

With Tale of Two Sisters, I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I bailed a little more than halfway through, and not because of gore, but because of bore. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a movie; I might give it a try again since you all are unanimous that it's a work of staggering genius.
I think I gave it about a 6.73976/10 on first viewing, which isn't that good, but that's because ... I'm not going to say "I didn't get it". I'm going to say "It wasn't immediately gettable". Which is different. The Wailing has that problem. I give it a lot of respect for being so spongy. I love what people have found in it. And loved the vibe and atmosphere. I need to give it a re-watch

plsletitrain

Mountain Cry
- Zelena described it as "pure television", and I wouldn't necessarily argue with that assessment (except that it would look great on the big screen), but if you're hankering for a good old fashioned melodrama, it should fit the bill.
Guyz can you expound on that "pure television" please. Because if that means MY television, I don't know if I will watch it.

plsletitrain

LOL I like that line, not because of gore, but because of bore!!!! Hahaha!

Well personally I liked it for the execution and the *twist*. Please do give it a re-watch. I'm interested on your thoughts about it after seeing it full.

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Guyz can you expound on that "pure television" please. Because if that means MY television, I don't know if I will watch it.
Clayton is right, it does sound like something I would say :emoji_sunglasses:
I liked it okay, but as it progresses, it becomes more and more tv-drama in the style of acting and and directing and the dynamics of the plot. In fairness, even average Chinese television has amazing cinematography these days, so yeah, it's like a movie in that sense. I think I gave it a 7.1. Could do worse.

clayton-12

you expound on that "pure television" please
I don’t think it was intended to mean that it’s a tune-out daytime opiate, but rather that it isn’t a highfalutin groundbreaking thought-provoking boundary-pushing insightful inciteful artistic masterwork. It’s just solid entertainment … somewhere in between Its Showtime and Kaili Blues.*

*No disrespect intended to either Its Showtime or Kaili Blues.