Review Red Dwarf (1987)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Three episodes into new series.
It's very good, some real laugh out loud moments.
CURED- A spaceship where evil is cured and Lister goes jamming with a nice Hitler.
SILICONIA- A mechaniod liberation army rescues Kryten from servitude. Lister is forced to make sugar puff sandwiches.
TIME WAVE - Johnny Vegas as a cop in a pink uniform, on a ship where criticism is illegal and we meet a Hannibal Lecture character whose crime is tutting.
Great fun so far.
Second half of series 12
MECHOCRACY - The vending machines go on strike and Kryten and Rimmer fight an election to represent them. Some funny moments but the weakest of the series.
M CORP - A company that had bought Red Dwarf and the crew finally catch up with them. Big business corporation instigates changes and Lister being the only registered crew member is targeted.
SKIPPER- best episode of the series as Rimmer uses a device to 'skip' from.one reality to another to find a version of himself that isn't a total loser.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Two pilots. Both complete failures. But at least Robert was able to keep and use the Kryten costume they made for these pilots in the UK show when he came home. :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

I had seen the original pilot before. Watching it here a second time was more painful than the first. This goes beyond being a fan of the original. The whole cast, save Robert, is horrible. Jane Leaves is a good actress, but she doesn't fit the character of Holly. Rimmer and Lister are so horribly miscast, they sound like they're line reading rather than acting. Neither version of Cat work, either. Danny had a particular presence, which the first actor seems to be trying to emulate, but there's no excitement behind his performance.

All this really did was highlight what is wrong with the majority of American remakes of any property. Jokes have to be changed for cultural differences. Sure, there's a lot that's the same here, but the changes made to the original format just makes it a muddled mess. I'm so very glad this never went to series, so we don't have to listen to uncultured swine go on about how "The American version is so much better".

michaellevenson

The Americans also had a go at Fawlty Towers without success.
One pilot even had no Basil Fawlty in it.
Though I have to say the American version of The Thick Of It, the award winning Veep, is class. Though did have the same writing team as the British show.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I am gonna be contrary and say Charles Augins.

Cos' QUEEG's one of my all time favourite episodes.

Then Norman, then Hattie.

I like them all though.