Review Revenge of the Cybermen (1975)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
b9be738384677b59939e7353b0bb0912.jpg

2726_63247973825_52071778825_1524927_4090150_n.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

The Time Ring returns The Doctor, Sarah and Harry to Nerva Beacon thousands of years before they left. Where the Doctor, Sarah and Harry find the Beacon's crew have been wiped out by a space plague, only to discover the crew have been murdered by a cybermat and the culprits are the Cybermen and geologist Professor Kellman who bid to wipe out "Voga" a planet of gold, home of the subterranean Vogans who defeated the Cybermen in a war.

On to the next story....

TERROR OF THE ZYGONS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/terror-of-the-zygons-1975.5289/

Back to the previous story....

GENESIS OF THE DALEKS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/genesis-of-the-daleks-1975.5288/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I actually like this story a lot.

And I wish I knew why!

I know it is considered a pretty poor story, but I remember, as a kid, finding the self detonation by the prisoner with the bomb attached disturbing. And the whole thing read well as a Target book.

It's a bit ropey in places, but is not the disaster that some fans have made out over the years, i.m.o.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I actually like this story a lot.

And I wish I knew why!

I know it is considered a pretty poor story, but I remember, as a kid, finding the self detonation by the prisoner with the bomb attached disturbing. And the whole thing read well as a Target book.

It's a bit ropey in places, but is not the disaster that some fans have made out over the years, i.m.o.
I've always suspected that this one got a bit of a bad reputation, not because it's bad, but simply because it followed on from Ark in Space, The Sontaran Experiment, and Genesis of the Daleks, and the story simply didn't live up to the high standard that had been set by those stories. Watch it next to something like The Horns of Nimon or The Twin Dilemma and it's high quality television. It's not the greatest story but it's about average for its era. It's simply overshadowed by the stories that preceded it (and several in the season that followed).

Doctor Omega

I still can't make up my mind whether Carey Blyton is a genius - or just a rubbish musician. :emoji_confused:

Certainly I don't think his "Dalek" theme worked in DEATH TO THE DALEKS, destroying any of their menace and making their entrance into a scene quite comical, but there is something about the majority of his efforts, such as this story, that I find just fine and dandy!