Review Robocop (2014)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
gear.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

In 2028 Detroit, when Alex Murphy, a loving husband, father and good cop, is critically injured in the line of duty, the multinational conglomerate OmniCorp sees their chance for a part-man, part-robot police officer.

On to the next movie......

ROBOCOP RETURNS......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/robocop-returns-in-development.4072/

Back to the previous movie....

ROBOCOP 3.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/robocop-3-1993.338/

Or visit the animated series.....

ROBOCOP: ALPHA COMMANDO......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/robocop-alpha-commando-1998.6519/

Last edited:

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I listened to the director, Jose Padilha, he is brazilian btw and he clearly explains that he wanted to make an R rated movie. His script was amazing and full of unexpected twists.

He got accepted and as soon as he started filming the picture, the execs came in, started changing the script and force him to tune down the violence. This was for the worse because, when the movie was finished, the script had been cut and redone so many times that the director felt his movie was completely ripped apart.

The execs wanted to make this movie a PG13 and they did it, Padilha, on the other hand, was so frustrated with the experience that he decided that he will never film in hollywood again and go back to Brazil.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I didn't know any of that. It is probably Hollywood's loss then, driving away talent, rather than working with it.

I just wasn't sure at the time if the film was ready to be remade yet - or even now - and think that the first one is still remembered, while this one sort of passed by for the most part. I had no idea of these politics going on behind the scenes and just assumed it was a poor choice of director.

Hollywood messes up again! :emoji_head_bandage:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I know that it all has to do with box office, and how teens make up the largest number of ticket buyers, but for well over a decade, Hollywood has cut and hacked too many films for a PG-13 release, and as many stories have related, completely ruined the original stories. Scripts are left with no discernible story, only being nothing more than a collection of action sequences and one-liners. Studio execs need to be taken down a peg or two, and filmmakers should be allowed to make good pictures without interference.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
This socalled remake is an insult to the original in my opinion. Bad acting, story and most of it made no sense at all.

When the car exploded and he got all fooked, what led to that Robocop, is just stoopid. The original was him getting all shot up with a final blast to the face by some gang. Why change that? It was thé best bit that made Robocop and they just fooked it like that. It made me sad when I saw that =/

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
The Robocop remake was a pretty decent movie. However, when you are dealing with a cult classic (that doesn't need a remake) decent is not what is required. At the very least you have to add something to the franchise. Perhaps that is what Jose Padilha's original script did, before the suits re-wrote it in their image.

What we have is basically the family friendly version, Robocop is not a friendly friendly enterprise.

Last edited: