News Robocop Returns: IN DEVELOPMENT

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
After the lack of much response to the 2014 remake, could this be one cop that needs to hand his police badge in?

I don't really see how this franchise could really go anywhere now.

Doctor Omega

Original “Robocop” May Get A Sequel?

original-robocop-may-get-a-sequel-696x464.jpg

The “Robocop” franchise may be following in the footsteps of the “Halloween” series with a feature film revival that serves as a direct sequel to the original and ignores the continuity of all the sequels and remakes that came in between.

In an interview with Zeitgeist Entertainment Magazine at the Barbados Independent Film Festival, screenwriter Ed Neumeier revealed he’s working on a sequel to the 1987 film at MGM right now and went into a few specifics:

“There’s been a bunch of other RoboCop movies and there was recently a remake and I would say this would be kind of going back to the old RoboCop we all love and starting there and going forward. So it’s a continuation really of the first movie. In my mind. So it’s a little bit more of the old school thing.”

Paul Verhoeven’s iconic sci-fi action thriller celebrated its 30th anniversary last year and returned to theaters for nationwide screenings this past Fall.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Interesting. I love the original, and the second is a good watch (the third is a joke, and I haven't bothered with the remake). I wonder if they'll actually make a costume that will fit Weller, so he doesn't have to do half the film in his tidy whiteys.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Interesting. I love the original, and the second is a good watch (the third is a joke, and I haven't bothered with the remake). I wonder if they'll actually make a costume that will fit Weller, so he doesn't have to do half the film in his tidy whiteys.
I love films one and two, three is just okay and I haven't bothered with the remake.

As for a sequel to the original... I can't help thinking that they might've left it for too long.

Of course, I could be wrong about that.

Doctor Omega

This seems to be a new mini-trend of recent times...

Alien 5 was going to ignore 3 and 4.

Halloween is now going to ignore every sequel ever made and even the ending of the first one.

Now this.

I wonder what other film franchises might - for better or worse - also soon get this kind of cheeky ret-conning treatment?

Can't say that it is a trend I am warming to though. It is kind of like the studios are saying "Yeah, those other ones we made were crap! Trust us with this one though, honest!"

And does that also mean people can have their money back for ROBOCOP 3? Since it never happened. :emoji_grin:

Oh, I just thought! Does this mean that Nancy Allen's character is alive and much older now? :emoji_confused:

chainsaw_metal1

Remember when Superman Returns ignored Superman III and IV, and we thought it would be good, because we'd ignore split-personality Superman and rapidly aging Superman? And then we got creepy-stalker-deadbeat-dad Superman.

Doctor Omega

That is so true. Maybe they should never go back. Seems so tantalising to "try again and get it right", but it always seems to end in tears.

ALIEN 5 was an idea I loved at the start, but we may have been spared a cinematic car crash - and I was also. at the end of the day, offended that ALIEN 3 was going to be dismissed. That is my favourite of all the movies.

TERMINATOR GENYSIS was another one that was going to "do it right this time".

Yeah, sure. :emoji_head_bandage:

chainsaw_metal1

TERMINATOR GENYSIS was another one that was going to "do it right this time".
That "movie", that horrible peanut and corn-filled turd. Somewhere, the "writers" got the idea that they should take several plot points from the first two movies, and then add them to a bland "action" movie, put them in a blender with a steaming nugget of shit, and serve it to the public.

Just in case anyone got the wrong idea, I really hated the film.

Doctor Omega

Now just hold on there a minute, CSM!

Aren't you forgetting that James Cameron LOVED it!!!?

And he must know what he's talking about, surely? :emoji_confused:

I mean, it's not like he would be dishonest or anything? Not old James? :emoji_grin:

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
That "movie", that horrible peanut and corn-filled turd. Somewhere, the "writers" got the idea that they should take several plot points from the first two movies, and then add them to a bland "action" movie, put them in a blender with a steaming nugget of shit, and serve it to the public.

Just in case anyone got the wrong idea, I really hated the film.
They should have stopped after number three.

They had a perfectly satisfying, serviceable trilogy that completed the story arc.

chainsaw_metal1

Again, I know it's unpopular, but I liked Salvation more than Rise of the Machines. But yes, if they could have somehow done a mix of those two movies, they could have ended it.

Doctor Omega

Blomkamp Wants Weller For “RoboCop Returns”

blomkamp-wants-weller-for-robocop-returns-696x464.jpg

Last month came word that “District 9” and “Chappie” filmmaker Neill Blomkamp will direct “RoboCop Returns,” a semi-reboot of the franchise that will serve as a direct sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s 1987 sci-fi classic.

The project marks another film in the recent trend of movies that effectively ignore non-celebrated sequels in favour of direct follow-ups. We get that with “Halloween” in October and the new “Terminator” next year. Those films also bring back the original stars of the franchise like Jamie Lee Curtis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton.

So it’s no surprise that when Blomkamp was asked on Twitter who should play the title character, he had only one response: Peter Weller.

The storyline of the new movie was previously said to be: “anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption”. That suggests 71-year-old Weller’s return seems possible if the film is dealing with a Robocop that has been around for decades.

Original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner are on board as producers with Justin Rhodes doing a re-write of their original “RoboCop 2” script which is very different to the actual “Robocop 2” we got.

Weller recently played the secondary villain of “Star Trek Into Darkness” and has appeared on both “Dexter” and “Longmire” in recent years.

Doctor Omega

Producer Offers “RoboCop Returns” Update

verhoeven-on-what-the-robocop-reboot-got-wrong-696x464.jpg

in a new interview this week, writer/producer Ed Neumeier has offered an update on the status of “Robocop Returns” which serves as a direct sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s original 1987 sci-fi/action classic.

The 1987 film followed a cop who, on death’s doorstep, is used as an experiment to create a new type of patrolman – half man, half machine. He struggles with resurfacing memories and corrupt city officials, while the film itself included extreme visceral violence and satirical commentary of the 1980s.

Last year “District 9” and “Chappie” helmer Neill Blomkamp was set to direct the new project from a script which Justin Rhodes was re-writing based on an old script penned in the late 1980s by original film writers Neumeier and Michael Miner. Speaking with HN Entertainment, Neumeier says the first round of script revisions are done with another pass being taken on it:

“I am a producer at the moment. We talked about it a couple of years back and I reminded [MGM] that we had written a very rough sequel back in 1988 which then was stopped by the writer’s strike, the same year. And they looked at it and they said ‘oh, good!’, so we did some more work on that and then Neill Blomkamp found out about it and he said ‘I have always wanted to do this, this is my dream project’ and MGM was very very pleased to get into business with him. Neill Blomkamp and his screenwriter Justin Rhodes have done a pass on the script we were writing on and they’re doing another one.

It is a slightly different concept in some ways than we were originally doing. I don’t want to talk too much about it or somebody will call me and tell me to shut up, but we’re hopeful and I think Neill really really wants to make a good RoboCop movie. His idea is that it should be the proper Verhoeven… if Verhoeven had directed a movie right after RoboCop… I think that’s what he is trying to achieve and I hope he does. We’ll see what happens next.”

Blomkamp also wants to follow in the footsteps of “Creed,” “Star Trek” and “Halloween,” bringing back the film’s original star whilst also laying a new foundation:

As you know from the press that Neill Blomkamp wants to bring back Peter Weller and what you get when you do that, if you use the DNA of the old property in the new, is that you get something that shares continuity and fans can embrace the brand.”

The original film was followed by two sequels, a mini-series, and a 2014 remake – all of which have been largely forgotten.