Sapphire & Steel is a British television science-fiction fantasy series starring David McCallum as Steel and Joanna Lumley as Sapphire.
Produced by ATV, it ran from 1979 to 1982 on the ITV network.
The series was created by Peter J. Hammond who conceived the programme under the working title The Time Menders, after a stay in an allegedly haunted castle.
Hammond also wrote all the stories except for the fifth, which was co-written by Don Houghton and Anthony Read.
From 2005 to 2008, Sapphire and Steel returned in a series of audio dramas produced by Big Finish Productions, starring David Warnerand Susannah Harker as the titular Steel and Sapphire.
Cast & credits
- Series Created by P.J. Hammond
- Producer: Shaun O'Riordan
- Executive Producer: David Reid
- Designers: Stanley Mills (Serials 1-4 & 6), Su Chases (Serial 5)
- Music: Cyril Ornadel
- Title Sequence: Ivor Weir