Review Sherlock (2010)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Sherlock is a crime drama television series based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories.

Created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, it stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Doctor John Watson.

Thirteen episodes have been produced, with three-part series airing from 2010–2017, and a special episode airing on 1 January 2016.

The series is set in the present day, while the one-off special features a Victorian period fantasy resembling the original Holmes stories.

Sherlock
is a co-production of the British network BBC and the American station WGBH Boston for its Masterpiece anthology series on PBS, along with Hartswood Films, with Moffat, Gatiss, Sue Vertue and Rebecca Eaton serving as executive producers.

The series is primarily filmed in Cardiff, Wales, with North Gower Street in London used for exterior shots of Holmes and Watson's 221B Baker Street residence.

Critical reception has been highly positive, with many reviews praising the quality of the writing, performances, and direction.

Sherlock
has been nominated for numerous awards including BAFTAs, Emmys, and a Golden Globe, winning several awards across a variety of categories.

The show won in three categories at the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards including Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special for Moffat, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Cumberbatch, and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Freeman.

Two years later, it won Outstanding Television Movie.

In addition, the show was also honoured with a Peabody Award in 2011.

The third series has become the UK's most watched drama series since 2001 while interest in the fourth series appeared to slip by approximately twenty percent.

Sherlock
has been sold to 180 territories.

All of the series have been released on DVD and Blu-ray, alongside tie-in editions of selected original Conan Doyle stories and original soundtrack composed by David Arnold and Michael Price.

In January 2014, the show launched its official mobile app called Sherlock: The Network.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Gatiss: More “Sherlock” Episodes Unlikely

gatiss-more-sherlock-episodes-unlikely-696x464.jpg

The co-creators of “Sherlock,” Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, have long talked about the difficulty of filming the series, the issue mostly being getting everyone together in the same place at the same time.

Now, Gatiss tells podcast A Stab in the Dark (via Digital Spy) that after almost eight years on the air it’s looking like the show is likely over due to the impossibility of scheduling everyone involved:

“It was very, very hard to schedule the last series, because of Martin [Freeman] and Benedict [Cumberbatch]’s availability. And Steve [Moffat]’s and mine.There is always that Fawlty Towers principle of, ‘Let’s just leave it’. We’ve had the keys to Baker Street for a while, but one of the wonderful things is that they’re always shared. They were shared while we were making it. There’s nothing wrong with saying, ‘That was our version, somebody out there go and do their version’.”

No new episodes are scheduled to go into production at this point and with everyone’s busy workloads this comes as little surprise. Of course “Sherlock” is famous for taking years off between seasons so one day, in the future, there’s a chance it could return.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Not really a surprise unfortunately. I was surprised they managed to get a 4th series done, given how successful everyone involved seems to have become. As much as I'd love to see more of the wonderful cast together we're probably better off with it just being left alone.

Doctor Omega

Freeman: Making “Sherlock” No Longer Fun

freeman-making-sherlock-no-longer-fun-696x464.jpg

Starting so strongly out of the gate with its first two seasons beloved by fans, the BBC’s “Sherlock” stumbled badly in its third and fourth season in terms of fan appeal. We’re now at the point where the series has effectively ended and has done so without much fanfare.

In part, the series was a victim of its own success. With long two-year gaps between seasons, the shows two stars became major movie actors with busy schedules while showrunner Steven Moffat was occupied with “Doctor Who” up until recently. As a result, the key players had no shortage of work which made getting those involved back together a rather herculean task.

Then there was the fandom which was rabid. In fact this week Martin Freeman, who played Dr. John Watson on the series alongside Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes, tells The Telegraph that he doesn’t have fun making the show anymore due mainly to the fan pressure that comes with it. Not helping is that the show found such huge success from the get-go:

“To be absolutely honest, it [was] kind of impossible. Sherlock became the animal that it became immediately. Whereas even with [the U.K. version of] The Office, it was a slow burn. But Sherlock was frankly notably high quality from the outset. And when you start [that high] it’s pretty hard to maintain that. Being in that show, it is a mini-Beatles thing. People’s expectations, some of it’s not fun anymore. It’s not a thing to be enjoyed, it’s a thing of: ‘You better f—ing do this, otherwise, you’re a c—.’ That’s not fun anymore. I think after series four [it] felt like a pause. I think we felt we’d done it for a bit now. And part of it, speaking for myself is [due to] the reception of it.”

The fourth season of the series saw a slight ratings dip, but more importantly the critics and fan reaction was notably down on years past – even amongst some of the show’s most loyal supporters. Co-creator Mark Gatiss has previously suggested that even if it were to go ahead, unlikely at this point, then a fifth season is at least several years away.

Doctor Omega

Cumberbatch Disagrees With “Sherlock” Comments

cumberbatch-disagrees-with-sherlock-comments-696x464.jpg

The BBC’s “Sherlock” is over it seems following the fourth season over a year ago, and for now there are no plans for further episodes. Earlier this year actor Martin Freeman, who played Dr. John Watson on the series alongside Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes, told a British tabloid he doesn’t have fun making the show anymore due mainly to the fan pressure that comes with it.

Now Cumberbatch chimed in on Freeman’s critiques in a recent interview with the same outlet, The Telegraph and from the sounds of it he holds a very different opinion:

“It’s pretty pathetic if that’s all it takes to let you not want to take a grip of your reality. What, because of expectations? I don’t know. I don’t necessarily agree with that… I just don’t feel affected by that in the same way, I have to say.”

Both actors are currently busy with their places in the Marvel Cinematic Universe – Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange and Freeman as Everett Ross in several of the films. Both actors also have very busy resumes with plenty of films on the way.