Review Sony Announces ‘Clean Version’ Initiative

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Sony Announces ‘Clean Version’ Initiative

sony-announces-clean-version-initiative-696x464.jpg

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced the immediately controversial ‘Clean Version’ plan, a new VOD initiative which: “allows viewers to screen the broadcast or airline versions of select Sony films, free from certain mature content.”

Sony will reportedly make these edited ‘adapted for a wider audience’ versions available at no additional charge as an ‘extra’ included with the original theatrical version of movies in the program.

Titles in the initiative will be available for purchase on iTunes, VUDU, and FandangoNOW. Launch titles include:

“50 First Dates,” “Battle Of The Year,” “Big Daddy,” “Captain Phillips,” “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,” “Easy A,” “Elysium,” “Ghostbusters,” “Ghostbusters II,” “Goosebumps,” “Grown Ups,” “Grown Ups 2,” “Hancock,” “Inferno,” “Moneyball,” “Pixels,” “Spider-Man,” “Spider-Man 2,” “Spider-Man 3,” “The Amazing Spider-Man,” “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” “Step Brothers,” “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby,” “White House Down”.

Over the years several third-party services have sought to scrub Hollywood films of content that some find objectionable, including violence, sexuality, and profanity. This has raised obvious issues of copyright infringement and unsanctioned violation of an artist’s work.

Major studios have long opposed the move, but Sony is the first to embrace it. More information is up at: CleanVersionMovies.com

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
What a bunch of fucking wankers!

Why the fuck would they want to totally fuck up perfectly good films with this shitty idea?

Fucking twats!

Coming soon...

The "clean version" of this post on a message board near you!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Hopefully Goodfellas or Straw Dogs will replace The Wizard of Oz as traditional Christmas viewing.

It's time.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Hopefully Goodfellas will replace the Wizard of Oz as traditional Christmas viewing.

It's time.
You mean it hasn't already?! :emoji_astonished:

Actually, I want THE GODFATHER to become traditional family viewing at Christmas. That way when Jack Woltz, the Hollywood producer, wakes up in bed next to his horse's head, the parents can turn to their child and say: "There's your fucking Christmas pony - now stop your fucking whining!"

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Pfft! Something tells me this won't end good. I hope other studios have the balls to stand up to this. If you want a clean movie watch a Disney flick. If you're one of those idiots that took your kid, to Deadpool and whine because it was to violent, or offensive. I don't feel sorry for you. I understand that there are places in the world where they might find some stuff offensive, and ok clean it up for them. It's just a waste of time and money for them to go back and make cleaner versions of movies. I like VUDU, but won't pay for clean movies. I throw a fit over Wallyworld censoring music. I'm sorry but Pantera, Slipknot, & SOAD all have swearing and it's weird to see cd's without that explicit label.

To me this is a bunch of cry babies who have nothing better to do.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
What a bunch of fucking wankers!

Why the fuck would they want to totally fuck up perfectly good films with this shitty idea?

Fucking twats!

Coming soon...

The "clean version" of this post on a message board near you!
If anyone produces a "clean version" of this message, I'll fucking brain them.

Actually, I want THE GODFATHER to become traditional family viewing at Christmas. That way when Jack Woltz, the Hollywood producer, wakes up in bed next to his horse's head, the parents can turn to their child and say: "There's your fucking Christmas pony - now stop your fucking whining!"
*sniff* That's the most beautiful Christmas story I've ever heard. Bravo, mate.

Bravo.

I throw a fit over Wallyworld censoring music.
Quite a few years ago I picked up Motley Crue's Generation Swine at Walmart, not realizing the album had an advisory label originally, and didn't see "Edited" on the price tag, like they're supposed to do. I got it home, started listening to it, and the first song had fucking bleeps in it. I was livid. You don't like swearing in music, don't listen to that music, and don't buy it for your kids. Don't buy watered down garbage versions because you and your kids have sensitive ears.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Quite a few years ago I picked up Motley Crue's Generation Swine at Walmart, not realizing the album had an advisory label originally, and didn't see "Edited" on the price tag, like they're supposed to do. I got it home, started listening to it, and the first song had fucking bleeps in it. I was livid. You don't like swearing in music, don't listen to that music, and don't buy it for your kids. Don't buy watered down garbage versions because you and your kids have sensitive ears.
I liked Swine, even the Afraid video had Flint pop up in it. I thought that was funny. I bought Swine out at FYE in the mall. Around here the FYE store and a few other cd places closed up. Kmart stopped carrying cds out here, and that's where I would go to buy uncensored cd's. Meijers closed up and was torn down, and the other Meijer, 20 miles away carry's some old GNR, but the cd area is slowly shrinking. I have been buying some cd's on Ebay, and found out the retro shop in town has cds'/albums/dvd's/comics/gaming systems, and more goodies. After I found out they added more to the shop, let's just say I like shopping there more. The place is always fun to see what they have for sale every few weeks.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There used to be two great shops called Disc-Go-Round. One was in Cedar Falls, and they had new and used music, plus videos, band shirts, and all other cool things. The other was in Ames, and that one was pretty much just music, and they carried demos from a lot of the local bands, plus they had tons of underground music (starting to feel a little hipster saying that). My friends and I would go, check out the local work, much of which was usually put out by guys we knew, and there was a big support system for the local music scene, which is seeing a rebirth in the Des Moines area again. There was also a place in Mason City called CDGBs which unfortunately closed a few years back, but they, too, had a great selection of lesser known bands.

As I lamented in the Video Store thread, I loved these places because you could go and actually talk music with other people. There weren't algorithms and user comments and threads...you sat there with other people and were a part of a community. You'd ask about a band, and three other people would suggest other bands you might like, and you could get some cheap discs and get into new music you might not have heard before. That is what is missing, and why kids today will never understand how cool it was.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
There's only one Christmas movie that should be shown every year as a family tradition. And it should be shown exactly as is - no "clean" version.

Awesome, Die Hard is always one of my christmas viewings, along with Black Christmas and a christmas ghost story episode of The X Files.

Anyway, this is fucking stupid. I can't believe they are going to butcher their own films.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I look forward to this initiative spreading to other media, and one day being able to enjoy listening to The Complete Derek and Clive: about 2 minutes of random prepositions

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Not surprising. It's become the new American way--sand the rough edges off of everything so that no one's delicate sensibilities ever risk being offended. Since the mental age of the average American seems to be dwindling down into childhood more and more each year (YA novels are now among the biggest sellers among the adult reading demographic, just for one example), no one should be shocked that Sony feels much of its product should be retooled with that in mind.

We won't need to do away with the First Amendment at this rate, or worry about Trump and the Repugs erasing it. The ever-atrophying ability to think like an adult and to have the tastes of an adult will soon enough cause it to wither away and die of its own accord.

Carol

The ever-atrophying ability to think like an adult and to have the tastes of an adult will soon enough cause it to wither away and die of its own accord.
Not so long as there are wise folk like you who can put together such a sterling sentence. (And should your current president happen this way, it would be nice to think he could usefully spend an hour or so looking up the trickier words and then contemplating the actual meaning thereof.)
Hang on in there Amy G - these things shall pass - we had 12 years of Thatcher and survived with our souls intact... tomorrow might not be perfect over here but I'm going to enjoy having my vote. Hoping for fun and fireworks for you in DC, too.

Amyghost

Not so long as there are wise folk like you who can put together such a sterling sentence. (And should your current president happen this way, it would be nice to think he could usefully spend an hour or so looking up the trickier words and then contemplating the actual meaning thereof.)
Hang on in there Amy G - these things shall pass - we had 12 years of Thatcher and survived with our souls intact... tomorrow might not be perfect over here but I'm going to enjoy having my vote. Hoping for fun and fireworks for you in DC, too.
Cannot wait for the fireworks (rubs hands gleefully). God knows, we've suffered with our share of cretins-in-charge (I've often said that any country which can elect, and then re-elect, the likes of Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George Dubya Bush in the course of one half-century pretty much deserves whatever it gets, but even I wasn't prepared for this); my one sustaining hope is that Rump might prove to be a purgative for the body politic, driving out the malignant idiocy that's held the country in a choke hold for the last thirty-plus years, very much similar in some salient respects to the sheer nastiness of the Thatcher regime. In the meantime, there is the simple joy of going to protests and making one's voice, even in a small way, heard. One of the best things about the Inaugural Day/Million Woman March events is that they did prove that there is a sizeable number of people both here and abroad who aren't willing to let their freedom of speech be shut down by a chimp with a Twitter account--and that gives me a lot of hope; maybe more than the situation warrants, but I intend to find my comforts where I can in all of this.

Carol

I intend to find my comforts where I can in all of this
Cheering words as I head off for my beauty sleep - must make sure I put my X in the right box tomorrow - at least democracy English style means we need to do our voting in school halls and the like so kids get a bonus day's holiday. It's all very low tech with pencils tied to the booths with little bits of string - very reassuring, actually - once took an American chum along to show her our voting process and she babbled about curtains, levers and God knows what else besides - she couldn't believe that over here it takes on average 2 minutes to queue, wave a polling card at an official with the electoral register on a desk, plus 10 seconds to grab a stub of pencil and Make Your Mark. (Amazing how many fellow citizens get it wrong, though...)
Night, night Amy G.

Amyghost

Cheering words as I head off for my beauty sleep - must make sure I put my X in the right box tomorrow - at least democracy English style means we need to do our voting in school halls and the like so kids get a bonus day's holiday. It's all very low tech with pencils tied to the booths with little bits of string - very reassuring, actually - once took an American chum along to show her our voting process and she babbled about curtains, levers and God knows what else besides - she couldn't believe that over here it takes on average 2 minutes to queue, wave a polling card at an official with the electoral register on a desk, plus 10 seconds to grab a stub of pencil and Make Your Mark. (Amazing how many fellow citizens get it wrong, though...)
Night, night Amy G.
'Night to you too :). Over here they make the process of voting practically trauma-level, and the fact that everyone, in our great land of states' rights is allowed to do it their own way doesn't help (not to mention increasing the possibility of fraud. If I ever get in charge, one of my first moves will be to order that Federal elections have to follow a standardized procedure, 'states' rights' be damned). I sometimes long for the ability to dissolve and re-assemble governments over here--may have its own drawbacks, but I see that ability as having nothing but all the virtues in this case.

Wake refreshed and ready to be a shining beacon to good old English democracy. I find myself saying a little prayer for the country, beset as it's been by the recent craziness, and hoping that the crazies on the other side don't become able to seize the reins as a result. But you folk are nothing if not a sane race of people, in spite of all, and I have a feeling you'll end by producing a government that'll be more than a match for answering back to our chump-in-charge.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
So basically "sex" is "unclean" according to Sony.

mmmm... I wonder how Sony execs have kids.. maybe they have a cloning machine, since...sex is so "unclean"... what a bunch of idiots..