Review Sony Announces ‘Clean Version’ Initiative

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Has anyone ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That's what feels like in a sense, dumbing people down, & in the movie that happened over many generations.
Yes, I've seen it. It's reasonably amusing.

It just goes to prove that reality is stranger than fiction...

And that Donald Trump is a massive twat.

All right, I know that the Donald Trump statement isn't really related to the rest of the post, but I stand by my claim regardless.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
So basically "sex" is "unclean" according to Sony.
I'm puzzled though, because many of the titles I recognise from Doc O's list here are kids'/ family films anyway - am I missing something trans-Atlantic here perhaps?

(Oh. And maybe no-one at Sony knows the old chestnut: is sex dirty? Only if you do it right.)

Perhaps we should respond by trying to figure out the advantages of re-marketing clean classics with bonus smut, cussing and fisticuffs? Mary Poppins would be a good place to start, and maybe Brief Encounter...

Last edited:

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
@Amyghost I agree with everything you said, but I will defend my love of the Harry Potter novels and comic books to the death. Those are the last bastion my inner child has against the onslaught of idiocy I have to endure as an American.
Oh, my crit was pretty generalized and scattershot on that. I think all of us have inner child things we cherish. There are several YA novels I re-read on an annual basis myself. It's just that there seems to be an overall downward spiral throughout the media industry, print, film, etc. to produce and push product that's ostensibly aimed at adults but which in both presentation and content, often seems a lot more suitable for adolescents, and not adolescents with much intelligence or taste at that.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Oh, my crit was pretty generalized and scattershot on that. I think all of us have inner child things we cherish. There are several YA novels I re-read on an annual basis myself. It's just that there seems to be an overall downward spiral throughout the media industry, print, film, etc. to produce and push product that's ostensibly aimed at adults but which in both presentation and content, often seems a lot more suitable for adolescents, and not adolescents with much intelligence or taste at that.
Oh, you mean how there are adults who still try to tell me I should give the Twilight novels a chance? Not gonna happen. I only read worthwhile literature, like DC and Marvel. :emoji_wink:

No, I take no offense to your post, and I knew what you were getting at. Adult literature has become either rebranded YA or crap like the Fifty Shades books. However, I take the high road and delve into Star Wars books.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Oh, you mean how there are adults who still try to tell me I should give the Twilight novels a chance? Not gonna happen. I only read worthwhile literature, like DC and Marvel. :emoji_wink:

No, I take no offense to your post, and I knew what you were getting at. Adult literature has become either rebranded YA or crap like the Fifty Shades books. However, I take the high road and delve into Star Wars books.
50 shades is Twilight fan fiction, so it basically is YA.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
I'll stick with George Orwell.

I find him less depressing... :emoji_wink:
He has a wonderful essay on the 'boy's papers' that were popular in England from the late 1800's into the era just prior to WWII. So Eric Blair could also delve into popular culture, Youth Division with a lot of good insight. Can't recall the title of the piece off the top of my head, but it's a fascinating read.

chainsaw_metal1

50 shades is Twilight fan fiction, so it basically is YA.
I told a co-worker that once, when she was talking about the first movie, and she acted like I had just stepped off of a UFO (fun fact: I crawled out of Hell). She absolutely would not believe me until she went online and researched it. I thought it had been a pretty well known fact.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I told a co-worker that once, when she was talking about the first movie, and she acted like I had just stepped off of a UFO (fun fact: I crawled out of Hell). She absolutely would not believe me until she went online and researched it. I thought it had been a pretty well known fact.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I had no idea about that. However, I still know very little about TWILIGHT and even less about 50 SHADES OF GREY...

Fun fact: I did step off a UFO when I arrived on your planet. :emoji_wink:

chainsaw_metal1

Well, to be perfectly honest, I had know idea about that. However, I still no very little about TWILIGHT and even less about 50 SHADES OF GREY...
And you're a better man for it. I only researched it because my wife is a fan of both franchises. The less said about any of that, the better.
Fun fact: I did step off a UFO when I arrived on your planet. :emoji_wink:
I think I might have been there. I think that was the same weekend I spotted Bigfoot. Hell, all this time I was chalking all of that up to a lost weekend and bad peyote.